Yarborough Knife Assessment

I took my yarborough out back today and built a debris hut as a practical exercise- wow!!! All I've used in the field is cheap folders and a Cutco fixed blade my dad passed down to me. Having a large heavy fixed blade is such an incredible difference. I guess since the majority of my overnights are spent in rock desert or sucking it up in a poncho or sleeping bag, I never had the necessity to use it. Now that I plan on doing some more extended hunts and time in the woods (with minimal gear), I'll be suing it much more.

Well put. I will reword my previous comment then to, "never attempt to acquire without properly earning." I have put some serious consideration into trying out for the Green Berets, however haven't gotten past my lack of swimming ability haha. I can swim, but just don't have the stamina and required.

To swim 50M?

I took my yarborough out back today and built a debris hut as a practical exercise- wow!!! All I've used in the field is cheap folders and a Cutco fixed blade my dad passed down to me. Having a large heavy fixed blade is such an incredible difference. I guess since the majority of my overnights are spent in rock desert or sucking it up in a poncho or sleeping bag, I never had the necessity to use it. Now that I plan on doing some more extended hunts and time in the woods (with minimal gear), I'll be suing it much more.
Are you going to sue it for libel? Because I've heard those blades say some nasty shit about you. If you're going to be a minimalist that's fine, but please don't turn into a completely fucked up, flaming douchetard like Cody Lundin.

Just a quick overall message about sharpening...
sharpening removes metal from the blade, this is the purpose, BUT, the goal is to remove the least amount of metal while re-cutting the edge to it's proper angle. Unless the edge is really screwed up, do not use carbide cutters or grinding wheels - carbide cutters strip a lot of steel and can gouge the blade; grinding wheels/belts are best left to the professionals - they will take off a lot more steel than you want, and they will heat up the blade so that it is no longer tempered, or the temper is uneven - ruining it.

Get good sharpening gear and practice on your 'cheap' knives... Sharpening can be fun, I spent a few hours the other day working on all the kitchen knives ( the 2 sets plus all the single knives...) My knife collection takes a bit longer...

please don't turn into a completely fucked up, flaming douchetard like Cody Lundin.

No, I like to bring food, modern clothing, and matches. Minimalist to me more or less means no sleeping bag- which is a big reduction in gear since I don't own a sexy million dollar sleeping bag.

Just a quick overall message about sharpening...
sharpening removes metal from the blade, this is the purpose, BUT, the goal is to remove the least amount of metal while re-cutting the edge to it's proper angle. Unless the edge is really screwed up, do not use carbide cutters or grinding wheels - carbide cutters strip a lot of steel and can gouge the blade; grinding wheels/belts are best left to the professionals - they will take off a lot more steel than you want, and they will heat up the blade so that it is no longer tempered, or the temper is uneven - ruining it.

Get good sharpening gear and practice on your 'cheap' knives... Sharpening can be fun, I spent a few hours the other day working on all the kitchen knives ( the 2 sets plus all the single knives...) My knife collection takes a bit longer...

Good advice X SF, thanks. I grew up hunting so I've skinned quite a few different species of animals from deer, pigs, turkeys, squirrels, rabbits and various bird species. With that said, I suck at sharpening knives. I've learned a fair amount of outdoor skills, but that was one I just never got a good lesson on. Would you or any other qualified person for that matter. Care to share some knowledge on proper knife sharpening? It would be a lesson I would love to read. I know I can Google and Youtube sources, but this would seem a more trust worthy source.

I'm not trying to thread hijack and it did seem in the realm of this conversation.

Have any of you folks used magnesium blocks with the flint on the back? I've use flint with its own striker, but I guess I'm feeling apprehensive about grinding off metal shavings with my knife, then striking my knife against another metal. How hard is it on the blade?

I use a length of cut down hacksaw blade sharpened on one side for that mate, it lives in my survival kit with my magnesium block and striker. My knife is my lifeline, I dont want to risk damaging it unnecassarily just like I wont make it into a spear as you see in the bullshit survival guides, a sharpened stick hardened in a fire makes a fine spear.

...It is too big to be a kit knife for me.

I feel the same way. Mine is encased along with a Fairburn-Sykes dagger above/below my SFQC graduation certificate.

I had planned on getting a 5" version for field stuff but have a CRKT that is still doing a fine job.

Crip

Good advice X SF, thanks. I grew up hunting so I've skinned quite a few different species of animals from deer, pigs, turkeys, squirrels, rabbits and various bird species. With that said, I suck at sharpening knives. I've learned a fair amount of outdoor skills, but that was one I just never got a good lesson on. Would you or any other qualified person for that matter. Care to share some knowledge on proper knife sharpening? It would be a lesson I would love to read. I know I can Google and Youtube sources, but this would seem a more trust worthy source.

I'm not trying to thread hijack and it did seem in the realm of this conversation.

I searched this forum for the key words "knife sharpening" and lookie, lookie what I found... a thread titled Knife Sharpening Suggestions! X SF Med has named dropped a few gurus in that thread - you might want to Google their names and I'll bet you find some youtubes out there that are reliable, detailed and very thorough.

Hijack over. Don't forget to push out a few, Sendero, for forgetting to use the search function. ;)

LL

I searched this forum for the key words "knife sharpening" and lookie, lookie what I found... a thread titled Knife Sharpening Suggestions! X SF Med has named dropped a few gurus in that thread - you might want to Google their names and I'll bet you find some youtubes out there that are reliable, detailed and very thorough.

Hijack over. Don't forget to push out a few, Sendero, for forgetting to use the search function. ;)

LL

Yes Ma'am. Getting in the push up position.

I looked for the "embarrassed" icon, but twas not to be found. So this, :-" will have to do. I got Google and Youtube sources but missed "The Obvious Source" on that one. I use search a lot, but flat out missed that one. Thanks for the heads up.

If anyone knows sharpening, it is Mr. Troll, he has boney fingers from all the mistakes he made in learning how to undull a blade. Preferring not to bone my fingers I have a Tormak. Yes they are expensive, but much cheaper than bandages and hospital bills.

There is also a civilian model of this knife. I picked up a used one. Difference is no serial number mostly. I found out I know very little to nothing about knifes after meeting Mr. Troll and those names that he dropped in the other thread. I would go on what they have to say without any reservation.

Back