You are only as sharp as your knife

mike_cos

Folgore
Verified Military
talking about knives... well, how often are you taken to sharpen your knife? and what you use to sharpen? Someone relies on some new automatic mechanical tools (eg. mole)?
Thanks in advance

here my knives (first one from left for amphibious ops)

res540875_CIMG1158.JPG

Looks like an Extrema Ratio. My baby is at Chris Reeve getting sharpened and recoated.
I wont add to the sharpening bit as I had to send a heart felt plea to the Troll for advise on that.

Fox makes good knives... I've met the owner at a few Trade shows... Harsey and Reeve both have done some design work for him... Fox also uses a good amount of Crucible stock....

I might have to spend a couple of hours setting up and taking photos of the toy collection... it's grown a little since I last put up anything....

Sharpening - when they need it is the best time... What do I use? I have a nice collection of sharpening gear... for quick fixes in the field, a lansky triangular ceramic stone, or a Smith's quick sharp or a small medium arkansas, or diamond edge - any are good in a field situation.

When I get down to really putting the edge on... I just bought a new diamond edge fine 9 inch for fully re-cutting the faces and edges - I have not had to use it yet. I prefer a Norton 2 face 10 inch oil stone in medium/fine - 600/800 and following up with a japanese water stone in 1200... I hand sharpen (right 0699?) pretty quickly, practice, practice, practice... no angle blocks, no machines, a stone, a knife some oil and a jeweler's loupe to look at the micro serrations, the truth of the edge, roll, steepling (I do use compound edging on some of my blades) - and I have a bunch of CPM S30-V knives, a few CPM 154, and the normal 440, 440 V, 360....

Axes, lawnmower blades and machetes get sharpened with a nice 10" flat mill bastard, then a quick polish with a diamond hone to reduce the cutting scratches.

I've been schooled in the art/science of knife sharpening by Bill Harsey and taken multiple sharpening classes from Wayne Goddard... I still feel like I'm a complete novice compared to them too.

My EDCs are a stamped Gerber 300 (small pocket knife) that nearly made the grinder at Gerber steal it from me and a Chris Reeeve Classic 2000 Sebenza.

Prides of the collection.... Yarborough #SF0067 GB, Pacific, LHR, Spartan Ares, Spartan/Harsey #061, a limited run Harsey/Gerber, An Al Mar/Gerber model 375... I don't believe in safe queens... I use mine when I can....

Fox makes good knives... I've met the owner at a few Trade shows...

I know very well Frati's family, when I need knives I go personally to Maniago, they are firms in DEFCON 5 Brand (military stuff) too

For your very very interesting post: wow Troll.. thanks a lot (you are not wiener licker... you are blades licker... italian motto to identify knives expert..LOL)

Or I do... ;)

Mike - safe queen = good working knives that people put in the safe to be shown off, rather than used. Waste of good steel.

LL
eheh I see... but I'm not a collector, but I like to have always right blades for every different ops...

Another question... (I don't think is against OPSEC or PERSEC rules)... usually where do you prefere (use) wear your knife... eg on chest, on belt and so on...

Looks like an Extrema Ratio. My baby is at Chris Reeve getting sharpened and recoated.
I wont add to the sharpening bit as I had to send a heart felt plea to the Troll for advise on that.
no mac... Extrema too expensive for me.... (only 9° Rgt Col Moschin has this knife)... but FOX is a good compromize among quality and price..(for me.... naturally)

... eheh I see... but I'm not a collector, but I like to have always right blades for every different ops...
Didn't think you were a collector, your knives look well loved. Just wanted to let you know that American-ism. ;)

LL

Thanks LL... actually I had never heard "safe queen" refers to a blade.... now I can sing sex pistols's song... "Troll safe the queen"LMAO

Oh, I've met many a knife that's a safe queen - and the owners would drop dead in shock if they thought of ever actually using the knife. We like to test out all of ours. My Lone Wolf T-1 just the other day was testing the hardness of some concrete with its tip - knife won! :D

LL

Oh, I've met many a knife that's a safe queen - and the owners would drop dead in shock if they thought of ever actually using the knife. We like to test out all of ours. My Lone Wolf T-1 just the other day was testing the hardness of some concrete with its tip - knife won! :D

LL
haha... these guys probably have also polished bullets... ono by one... Very good your knife... but... you was testing what? Concrete? You were doing a tickling to a SeAL...LOL

Back