Young, aspiring ODA team member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loud and Clear

Unverified
Greetings everyone,

The title speaks for itself but allow me to elaborate. Growing up, I always wanted to be a Navy SEAL. For me, that was the epitome of what it meant to be "Special Forces". Obviously I was wrong. I learned more about the ACTUAL SF guys and realized that they are a whole different breed of soldier. They truly encompass the true meaning of what it means to be "special". Not because they have access to top of the line equipment but because they can use what they learned and apply it to many different scenarios. The fact that a 12 man team of SF guys can go behind enemy lines and operate independently baffles and amazes me. But I digress. I am 18, joining the army soon as an option 4, 11b. My goal is to make it to an airborne infantry unit and drop an SFAS packet as soon as I can (I turn 20 Dec, 2021). I understand my maturity isn't all there yet but my drive and willpower reassures me that I WILL make it to be an ODA team member one day.

Best regards,
Garrett

Obviously I was wrong.

The word “obviously” rubs me the wrong way. It’s unfortunate that Naval Special Warfare has created this stereotype to our youth. It’s not your fault. The media’s portrayal of several bad eggs has formed your opinion.
I implore you, as an aspiring member of the military to change this mindset and do research on the positives. I hope that if you ever meet a Navy SEAL in person that you never say something like that to him.

SF is a fine group and I hope you make it.

I agree that you need to remove your actual name.

Last edited:
I always wanted to be a Navy SEAL. For me, that was the epitome of what it meant to be "Special Forces". Obviously I was wrong. I learned more about the ACTUAL SF guys and realized that they are a whole different breed of soldier.

At 18 and not even in the Military yet, you actually haven’t “realized” anything yet.
Best of success to you, @Arf was kinder than some others might have been.

In the future, be sure that you are speaking from experience before you begin disparaging specific SOF type unIt’s.

The word “obviously” rubs me the wrong way. It’s unfortunate that Naval Special Warfare has created this stereotype to our youth. It’s not your fault. The media’s portrayal of several bad eggs has formed your opinion.
I implore you, as an aspiring member of the military to change this mindset and do research on the positives. I hope that if you ever meet a Navy SEAL in person that you never say something like that to him.

SF is a fine group and I hope you make it.

I agree that you need to remove your actual name.
I'm actually a Navy brat. Grew up in Virginia Beach and have a copious amount of SEALs in my family, I want my own path. Sorry if I offended you.

OP true professionals know that ALL MOS's are essential to military operations. It's OK though you will learn as you go and welcome to Shadowspear.
What I meant is that the term Special Forces is used so loosely when in reality there is only one Special Forces. My apologies for the ignorant statement. In my opinion, Green Berets are just very unique

Welcome, I would ask for a new user name. Not your real name.
Loud and clear

At 18 and not even in the Military yet, you actually haven’t “realized” anything yet.
Best of success to you, @Arf was kinder than some others might have been.

In the future, be sure that you are speaking from experience before you begin disparaging specific SOF type unIt’s.
What I meant is that there is only one Special Forces and I was oblivious to it. I have SEALs I my family that would always get pissed at me when I referred to them as 'Special Forces' , they would always correct me. Sorry if I offended you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back