100 Push Ups

From the Army PT manual, FM 21-20, Chap 14, about administering an APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test):

The event supervisor must read the following: “THE PUSH-UP EVENT MEASURES THE ENDURANCE OF THE CHEST, SHOULDER, AND TRICEPS MUSCLES. ON THE COMMAND ‘GET SET,’ ASSUME THE FRONT-LEANING REST POSITION BY PLACING YOUR HANDS WHERE THEY ARE COMFORTABLE FOR YOU. YOUR FEET MAY BE TOGETHER OR UP TO 12 INCHES APART. WHEN VIEWED FROM THE SIDE, YOUR BODY SHOULD FORM A GENERALLY STRAIGHT LINE FROM YOUR SHOULDERS TO YOUR ANKLES.

ON THE COMMAND ‘GO,’ BEGIN THE PUSH-UP BY BENDING YOUR ELBOWS AND LOWERING YOUR ENTIRE BODY AS A SINGLE UNIT UNTIL YOUR UPPER ARMS ARE AT LEAST PARALLEL TO THE GROUND. THEN, RETURN TO THE STARTING POSITION BY RAISING YOUR ENTIRE BODY UNTIL YOUR ARMS ARE FULLY EXTENDED. YOUR BODY MUST REMAIN RIGID IN A GENERALLY STRAIGHT LINE AND MOVE AS A UNIT WHILE PERFORMING EACH REPETITION. AT THE END OF EACH REPETITION, THE SCORER WILL STATE THE NUMBER OF REPETITIONS YOU HAVE COMPLETED CORRECTLY. IF YOU FAIL TO KEEP YOUR BODY GENERALLY STRAIGHT, TO LOWER YOUR WHOLE BODY UNTIL YOUR UPPER ARMS ARE AT LEAST PARALLEL TO THE GROUND, OR TO EXTEND YOUR ARMS COMPLETELY, THAT REPETITION WILL NOT COUNT, AND THE SCORER WILL REPEAT THE NUMBER OF THE LAST CORRECTLY PERFORMED REPETITION. IF YOU FAIL TO PERFORM THE FIRST TEN PUSH-UPS CORRECTLY, THE SCORER WILL TELL YOU TO GO TO YOUR KNEES AND WILL EXPLAIN TO YOU WHAT YOUR MISTAKES ARE. YOU WILL THEN BE SENT TO THE END OF THE LINE TO BE RETESTED. AFTER THE FIRST 10 PUSH-UPS HAVE BEEN PERFORMED AND COUNTED, HOWEVER, NO RESTARTS ARE ALLOWED. THE TEST WILL CONTINUE, AND ANY INCORRECTLY PERFORMED PUSH-UPS WILL NOT BE COUNTED. AN ALTERED, FRONT-LEANING REST POSITION IS THE ONLY AUTHORIZED REST POSITION. THAT IS, YOU MAY SAG SAG IN THE MIDDLE OR FLEX YOUR BACK. WHEN FLEXING YOUR BACK, YOU MAY BEND YOUR KNEES, BUT NOT TO SUCH AN EXTENT THAT YOU ARE SUPPORTING MOST OF YOUR BODY WEIGHT WITH YOUR LEGS. IF THIS OCCURS, YOUR PERFORMANCE WILL BE TERMINATED. YOU MUST RETURN TO, AND PAUSE IN, THE CORRECT STARTING POSITION BEFORE CONTINUING. IF YOU REST ON THE GROUND OR RAISE EITHER HAND OR FOOT FROM THE GROUND, YOUR PERFORMANCE WILL BE TERMINATED. YOU MAY REPOSITION YOUR HANDS AND/OR FEET DURING THE EVENT AS LONG AS THEY REMAIN IN CONTACT WITH THE GROUND AT ALL TIMES. CORRECT PERFORMANCE IS IMPORTANT. YOU WILL HAVE TWO MINUTES IN WHICH TO DO AS MANY PUSH-UPS AS YOU CAN.
WATCH THIS DEMONSTRATION.”

That is the standard. No more, no less. Anyone who tries to require more (for a record APFT) is wrong. It's one thing to throw higher goals at troops, but you can't (in a training unit, particularily) hold them to a higher (your own) standard.

It can be an entirely different story once you get to an operational unit, but to make trainees do shit like put your chest all the way to the ground or hold their head a certain way, on a record APFT, is bullshit.

Mac May correct me here but when I was in the Army in NZ, perfect form was head either to the side or facing down, body straight i.e. no bending at the waist, and on the down the shoulder is equal with the elbow, so the arm is perfectly horizontal (that was the one thing that fucked most people up with regards to poor form), I don't know the US Mil standard.

Bingo mate, however you do get the odd idiot leg shaver who says to look forward and makes you bounce your chest on the ground.

Pushup_Anim.gif

Ours had to look like this. Every demo we got from the lobsters looked exactly like that.

That is the standard. No more, no less. Anyone who tries to require more (for a record APFT) is wrong. It's one thing to throw higher goals at troops, but you can't (in a training unit, particularily) hold them to a higher (your own) standard.

It can be an entirely different story once you get to an operational unit, but to make trainees do shit like put your chest all the way to the ground or hold their head a certain way, on a record APFT, is bullshit.

Oh no... they let me hold my head anyway I want.. they just don't count the push ups...;)

Always found the best way for improving calisthenics for me has been working out every night until failure.

100 push ups should be easy to bang out untimed, getting in good form and in under two minutes is a bit more of a challenge, but not that much harder. You just have to keep the same pace.

However, even when capable of doing one hundred under two minutes at my pace (Quickly without sacrificing form) I find it much harder to do the push ups when somebody else tells me to go down and up at their pace. To where I start locking up more frequently.

However, even when capable of doing one hundred under a minute at my pace (Quickly without sacrificing form) I find it much harder to do the push ups when somebody else tells me to go down and up at their pace.

So you are saying you can do 100 push ups in under one minute?

... ON THE COMMAND ‘GO,’ BEGIN THE PUSH-UP BY BENDING YOUR ELBOWS AND LOWERING YOUR ENTIRE BODY AS A SINGLE UNIT UNTIL YOUR UPPER ARMS ARE AT LEAST PARALLEL TO THE GROUND. ...

They adopted this standard when they started judging women by the same standard. For some of them, the chest touching the ground wasn't much of a push up... ;) :p

LMAO

LL

Probably could do 100 if you did half push ups, but then they are really not push ups. At a good pace, I can get 53 in a minute( right form, etc.)

They adopted this standard when they started judging women by the same standard. For some of them, the chest touching the ground wasn't much of a push up... ;) :p

LMAO

LL

A BN (a really bad one, but I digress) in the FL ARNG had a major EEO complaint against them a few years ago alleging bias during the APFT when it came to female soldiers. A number of NCOs and O's were listed as part of this complaint. When the IG sorted it all out they discovered that the female soldiers (and there were a number of them) had their pushups discounted because of what you mention above, they simply weren't meeting the standard so the graders did not record the pushup.

It blew over and zero careers were harmed as a result (I knew one of the 1SG's at the heart of the complaints and he was a damn fine soldier), but a number of man hours were spent chasing this down all because some folks thought they deserved a pass on the standards due to their physical characteristics.

I hear a Jethro Tull song coming from Pardus' corner.... Oh it's two, the first one is ... "Locmotive Breath" , anybody guess the second?

"Dynamo Hum"? No wait, that's Zappa.

I started on week 3 column 2. Good lil workout out that does'int take long. you can definitly reach TMF with this.

A BN (a really bad one, but I digress) in the FL ARNG had a major EEO complaint against them a few years ago alleging bias during the APFT when it came to female soldiers. A number of NCOs and O's were listed as part of this complaint. When the IG sorted it all out they discovered that the female soldiers (and there were a number of them) had their pushups discounted because of what you mention above, they simply weren't meeting the standard so the graders did not record the pushup.

It blew over and zero careers were harmed as a result (I knew one of the 1SG's at the heart of the complaints and he was a damn fine soldier), but a number of man hours were spent chasing this down all because some folks thought they deserved a pass on the standards due to their physical characteristics.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's wrong with touching your chest to the ground when doing push-ups? (as long as you're not "bouncing" your chest)?

Forgive my ignorance, but what's wrong with touching your chest to the ground when doing push-ups? (as long as you're not "bouncing" your chest)?

Nothing, it is just that the Army's standard is for you to go down enough to break the plane, not all the way down. That's all.

Back