1208 ASPOC/A&S

ordman

Verified Military
Good day gents,

I'm looking to communicate with some Marines that plan on attending this next ASPOC/A&S in August. I'm an ordnanceman in the airwing and haven't had to ruck since bootcamp or MCT so thats been my primary focus. I've been studying land nav for a while and have a strong knowledge base but I'd like to actually do a course for obvious reasons. My rucking time right now is 12 miles in 2h 54 min with a 60lb ruck...the terrain I work on has plenty of slopes (Souther California). I can tread in water 40 min easy with cammies (no boots) and alternating between the breathe stroke and side stroke I swam 400 meters in 12 min 42 sec last week. These are pretty much my first timed events; I have room for improvement.

I don't have any training questions as they've been answered on this site 4x over but I'd like to do some networking to raise my standards or help someone raise theirs. Any comments/advice/rants are highly appreciated!! -ordman

Side note- In regard to the Marines in 03 MOSs with combat experience and knowledge: I consider it a huge privilege to even be able to try out for MARSOC, just know that I am aware of that.

Im hoping to be attending August ASPOC and A&S. Awaiting my UMO signature then submitting.

On topic, being a reservist and managing my training is quite a challenge but I have a pretty good schedule. Also not having a pool available to me I have been trying to work on my strength endurance and cardio. I've modified the recommended MARSOC training schedule.

I have yetto time my rucking but I carry a weighted pack everywhere I go. Even at my civilian job. I focus on my cardio with long distance and HIIT runs, body weight circuits and stretching is a target for me. I'm also continuously toughing my feet.

I plan on doing some land nav in the local wooded areas and am attending the Reserve Infantry Squad Leaders Course to improve as much as I can.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming MARSOC challenges.

Edit: I'm also following a strict diet and be as light as possible without sacrificing a proper fitness level.

Good stuff larscout, I actually just got back from Coronado. The UMO down there turned out to be really helpful; he expedited the stagnant signature process and walked me to the guy in charge of routing my waiver (I have a prior NJP from 2009 which requires a waiver). He also told me to swim a mile an 1/2 without stopping which is now my new goal. My extension package is in routing and my CO and SgtMaj have already signed off on the screening checklist.

Sounds like your doing what you can with not having a pool, I hear the row machine is a good substitute for that as well. Let me know how the land nav goes, thats one of my training priorities right now. I bought a compass but I can't track down a map of this course out here (MCAS Miramar). You said wooded area...East coast?

*If anyone knows a land nav course I can do on the west coast please let me know!

I've read some previous posts on here with ruck times, I'm using those as my goals. My diet is pretty on point too, I've been stretching and rolling out muscles with this cylindrical foam thing my doc told me to use. Thanks for replying, good luck at the Infantry Squad Leader Course.

Ordman- I'm at Pendleton and also attending Aug 15 class. Your rick is on point. Try to get your swim sub 11. 1030 was very competitive last time I was there. They'll give you a class on Land Nav before you actually do it so don't sweat it. Also, remember vans (aka objective points) can't go to far off the road ;). I'm an 0351, and most people that go there aren't 03's, so don't worry about that. Doesn't matter what your MOS is. Everyone there has no clout, no rank, and no MOS. everyone is there to learn and is treated the same. Good luck to you.

Ill be attending the August/Sept class as well. Unfortunatly some things arose right before the April/May class that wouldn't allow me to go. My friend went and made it all the way through but they told him he needs to be a little more vocal and invited him back to this class so he will be attending too.

Honestly bro, anything sub 12min you're good. Without cammies I'd say you should be killin it at 9-930. But really, I'm not evaluating you.. They are.. And they just want to see you put out max effort and be a team player, just don't eliminate yourself. That's what everyone does. Be confident and don't psych yourself out!

My swim time has been improving alot, last week I cleared 300 meters using the sidestroke in 9:33. There's a Youtube video on sidestroke techniques (
). My rucking is coming along pretty well, I tried to focus on speed for a shorter distance of 6 miles last week with a 60lb ruck, that time was 1:20. This week I'll do the full 12 miles with a 45lb ruck.

Is anyone married on here? Shoot me an email if you are, I'm trying to get the probability of getting your preferred duty station after ITC...IF I were to get selected then make it through ITC.

No, all my times that I post on here are with cammies, no boots. After I time myself I usually freestyle swim 200-400 meters slick.

300m slick (just shorts)? I'd say 6-7 minutes. I did my 500 yards in 10 minutes and was consistently in the middle of the pack. Different pipeline though.
I just swam 500 meters in about 10 minutes, give 59 seconds (I didn't have my watch, had to look at the digital clock on the wall). This was using freestyle, side-stroke and breathe stroke--slick. After that I ran 3 miles, I didn't time that. Thanks for the time skrewz, this is why I like for people to post times; I can motivate myself against someone who is faster than me or help motivate someone who is slower. I'll post my 12 mile ruck time towards the end of the week.

Anybody that is on Pendleton feel free to utilize me as a resource. I've been to A&S and made it through only to be a non-select. Currently in the Recon pipeline, albeit injured. I'm a Personal Trainer, too, so I can definitely help you tighten up your routine to be more economical.

Anybody that is on Pendleton feel free to utilize me as a resource. I've been to A&S and made it through only to be a non-select. Currently in the Recon pipeline, albeit injured. I'm a Personal Trainer, too, so I can definitely help you tighten up your routine to be more economical.
why werent you selected^^

There's a number of reasons why, but I don't know specifically on what caused the pass-over. (I have a good idea.) I was counseled and given a few "tips" but they were for me, not for GP. Any of the reasons why I was a non-select will have little bearing on anyone else going through the course.

I just swam 500 meters in about 10 minutes, give 59 seconds (I didn't have my watch, had to look at the digital clock on the wall). This was using freestyle, side-stroke and breathe stroke--slick. After that I ran 3 miles, I didn't time that. Thanks for the time skrewz, this is why I like for people to post times; I can motivate myself against someone who is faster than me or help motivate someone who is slower. I'll post my 12 mile ruck time towards the end of the week.

What's the "breathe stroke"? Are you allowed to change your swimming stroke during the test?

What's the "breathe stroke"? Are you allowed to change your swimming stroke during the test?
Wow, I'm an idiot. The "breast stroke" is what I meant. I don't know if we're allowed to change styles during the test, all it says on the prerequisites is to "swim 300 meters continuously...".

Back