1208 ASPOC/A&S

Those are some good ruck times. Pretty similar to mine. Are you jogging at all or do you just have a large stride? When I met with some CSOs and talked about my training they told me to slow down a bit. I was averaging 10 minute miles with my pack but most of it was a jog. They told me there wouldn't be a need to jog with a ruck in A&S and it increases your chances of an injury.

Also I don't know if it is a mistype but is there an hour and thirty minute difference between your 5 mile and 8 mile?

I bought a pair of Bates Lites about two weeks ago and wore them for one day. People swear by them but they weren't right for me, the heel portion didn't have enough space for me and it was the kind of hot spot that breaking in wouldn't fix. I don't know what style of Bates I have now but the tread is alot thicker and it fits my heel pretty well, they're a bit heavier but I'd rather that than zombie feet. This is my second pair of boots I'm breaking in; the first pair are Danners.

I broke 9 minutes on the 300 meter swim yesterday: 8min 54sec w/ cammies. I'm pretty confident in the pool, I've also been doing this "H20 bootcamp" thing which is basically swimming/calisthenics for an hour.

I also bought 3 pair of the Ijinji sock liners. I used them once so far, after this saturday I'll report how they did on the 12 miler. Thanks for the post rrd42, keep us up with the progress and turn those canned goods into the homeless shelter lol.

Keith- I'm combining a glorified shuffle with a brisk stride. Anything "joggier" and I'd be worried about beating up my knees too hard. Funny though, because I met a guy on deployment who finished A&S but wasn't selected, whose biggest regret was not training to run under his ruck during his build up. I figure I can make the 4 hour time limit for the initial 12 miles without hauling ass, but like everybody else I'd like to be competitive. If they're in fact not running under a ruck at A&S you won't see me shed a tear, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Good eye, the day of the 8.5 miler was a long one. I live in Seattle, which makes great training as the second-hilliest city in the US, and I'm doing most of my humps within and around it. I felt masochistic that day and wanted to see what the top of the city looked like, so half of that trip was a ball-buster up a fairly steep incline. I've been picking flatter trails for the shorter speed humps and more diverse terrain for the long endurance ones.

Ok I gotcha. Yeah I was just training over by Seattle but now I moved to Pendleton. It's good training with all the hills and then at A&S the terrain will be flatter so well have a good advantage with that.

You guys that are on Pendleton: Since I'm mostly recovered from my injury now I would not mind helping you guys tune up your swim strokes. I only used to do sidestroke but now I'm pretty good at breaststroke, too. This would probably have to be in the first two weeks of June, though, since I'll more than likely belong to MART/BRC again after that. No way will you catch me near a body of water willingly after I get back into that training cycle.

Whats going on gents bored friday with the wife at work and me sticking to no drinking or going out on the weekends for a&s, i decided to do a night ruck with just myself. Something you guys should try once or twice something we most likely will do while in selection. It was good just did 3 miles came in around 38mins trying to find my foot and staying calm in some pretty dark places on base. Thinking it might help some get comfortable for moving at night for who doesn't do that on the normal and some mental prep, something to think about have a good holiday thanks all.

I'm new on this forum and I'm going to the August ASPOC too. Im in good shape overall, but I just started swimming about two weeks ago. I think my 300m time is decent for just starting (12:57). I'm not getting tired. I just haven't figured out good form yet. Do you guys just swim laps to get faster or is there a better way to train like HIIT for running? Also, treading is destroying me. I can't figure it out. I just sink. What is a good technique with cammies on? A lot of advice I find online is for treading slick and it isn't working. I know we have to tread for 10 min on the first day of A &S, but what is a good time to train for. I imagine we'll have to tread for much longer, probably with no hands and holding things out of the water too.

I'm new on this forum and I'm going to the August ASPOC too. Im in good shape overall, but I just started swimming about two weeks ago. I think my 300m time is decent for just starting (12:57). I'm not getting tired. I just haven't figured out good form yet. Do you guys just swim laps to get faster or is there a better way to train like HIIT for running? Also, treading is destroying me. I can't figure it out. I just sink. What is a good technique with cammies on? A lot of advice I find online is for treading slick and it isn't working. I know we have to tread for 10 min on the first day of A &S, but what is a good time to train for. I imagine we'll have to tread for much longer, probably with no hands and holding things out of the water too.

One thing that may serve you well in ASPOC is situational awareness. You did not demonstrate good situational awareness by familiarizing yourself with the site rules and making the required initial intro post. Please fix that before you make any more posts. Thanks.

0331- Thats a good idea I haven't thought about that. I was thinking; what if instead of trying to keep a pace count to gauge your distance, you timed yourself on a mile a few times and got the average time it took. I remember using my pace count at Cpls course and I was always off about 500 paces, would it be as accurate to use a moderate paced average time of 1 mile?

I did my Saturday morning ruck this morning: 60lb pack-1st 3 miles in 35 min, 6 miles in 1 hour 16 min, 9 miles in 1 hour 59 min then coming in at 2 hours and 44 min at the 12 mile mark. This is better than my first 12 mile time so I'm getting results...however that was after a full nights sleep, a nice breakfast and completely on my terms. I wore the injiji sock liners...they gave the hot spots a wider dispersion of friction which was good for that distance, that might just mean bigger blisters for a longer distance though, idk.

Mp- I got my swim time down by swimming a shit ton (cammies and slick), I also have the opportunity to participate in an "h2o boot camp" which is pretty much a pool thrashing, if there's anything like that where your stationed it's good for getting used to water and breathing.

I'm going to take a light week this next week before this training obsession lands me an injury, have a good Memorial Day gents.

0331- Thats a good idea I haven't thought about that. I was thinking; what if instead of trying to keep a pace count to gauge your distance, you timed yourself on a mile a few times and got the average time it took. I remember using my pace count at Cpls course and I was always off about 500 paces, would it be as accurate to use a moderate paced average time of 1 mile?

I'm honestly trying to help and not be a dick, but do you guys know about handrailing and attack points?

I just googled that, I'm familiar with it somewhat. I learned it as a "deliberate offset", better used against a linear landmark or some another easily identifiable point. Thanks for the tip freefalling I'll study that.

No worries. I'm sure the more experienced guys will stop me if I wander too far off course. (I crack me up)

Here we go:

Attack points: Say you have a....6k movement or whatever. Even on good terrain with a good body (sleep, food, injuries) things happen. So, you plot your 6k or whatever leg and look for nearby, clearly distinguished terrain features, things you can find night or day, at the end of that 6k. Intersections (two roads, a road and a blue line, two blue lines) make for great attack points. Shoot your azimuth to said intersection knowing that you only have 100-200 meters from it to your point. 1-200 meters is a lot better for one's pace count than 6k, right?

Now haul ass. Seriously. Shoot your azimuth, stay on it, don't fall into holes, and haul ass to the attack point. Once there you shoot your azimuth to the point you really need and then you have a short walk to get there....and NOW you worry about your pace count plus you picked up a bunch of time even with the slightly increased distance. An intersection is a LOT easier to find after running 6k than a 4x4 post. :)

Handrailing: Kind of the same thing. No attack points but you have a terrain feature that loosely parallels your route? Treat it like a hand rail and follow it. I've never seen a land nav course where walking on the roads was kosher...but you can handrail a road by 10m or so or a blue line or ridge or whatever. Hand rail to a point (bend in the road for example) and then pick up your pace count from there.

With both methods you are taking that 6, 8, 12k movement and reducing it down to only a few hundred meters or less where you have to concentrate and worry about your pace count. The rest of the time you are moving out and terrain associating.

"Alright, 247 degrees, I have a spur on my left and I'm moving downhill. Check. That spur peters out and then I hit a trail crossing a creek. Run, Forrest, run."

Make sense or did I lose anyone?

to all trying the swim portion I'am a MCIWS so the best way to get faster in the water is be in the water everyday. If its a light swim or a thrash, best thing to look in to is water aerobics cards (make sure you have a buddy) :thumbsup:. Any other swim questions toss my way or if anyone can help with input. Freefalling nice refresh thanks I forgot all about the word handrailing last time I read that was bridgeport, but attack points did that all the time on patrols, but wouldnt call them attack points just a check point or control point before moving to anything with a time has priority type thing. good stuff for all that haven't done that in awhile stuff to look up and refresh treat every point as actions on target, have a good holiday

Ordman- I'm at Pendleton and also attending Aug 15 class. Your rick is on point. Try to get your swim sub 11. 1030 was very competitive last time I was there. They'll give you a class on Land Nav before you actually do it so don't sweat it. Also, remember vans (aka objective points) can't go to far off the road ;). I'm an 0351, and most people that go there aren't 03's, so don't worry about that. Doesn't matter what your MOS is. Everyone there has no clout, no rank, and no MOS. everyone is there to learn and is treated the same. Good luck to you.
GangsterFish3/7...I am not sure who or from where you are getting your information, just remember that anything that takes place from the conduct of A&S is confidential, that includes just about any detail that can be given on how/or when you will be evaluated. So be careful on what you are posting here.

Back