1208 ASPOC/A&S

Gotcha. Might want to check on that. That way you can find out which swimming stroke suits you best and allows you a competitive time and focus on becoming extremely proficient at that.

That makes sense, if thats something anyone can tell me I'd be glad to know. Do you have anything for that **isfriday?

That makes sense, if thats something anyone can tell me I'd be glad to know. Do you have anything for that **isfriday?

Demonstrate at A&S the ability to properly conduct abandon ship drill 6 m platform, 300 m swim (breast or side stroke) in utilities, tread water for 10 min while in utilities, & transition to survival float using blouse or trousers for 5 min.

I found that here
So, sounds like you use one or the other.

Im in Pendleton and wouldn't mind having a training partner for the swimming portion. That is going to be the part I am going to need the most work.

Thanks mac. Keith, I went to the pool and started talking to a guy treading water in cammies, turns out hes going in August as well. We traded contact info and are going to start rucking/swimming together. A training partner helps and so does this website. Shoot me an email if you want to trade times and compete.

Wow, I'm an idiot. The "breast stroke" is what I meant. I don't know if we're allowed to change styles during the test, all it says on the prerequisites is to "swim 300 meters continuously...".
you can switch between side stroke and breath stroke all you want. i dont know about freestyle though. but that sucks in cammies anyway

whats going on gents got sent here from my intro see a a lot of you going to the Aug class that I also will be joining you all. I have been doing a modified 10 week prep myself to get ready, as in doing the work out plus more so adding crossfit everyday before, after, or during the set workouts on the list. I always do run swim run with some crossfit good workouts for that can be found here www.frogmanchallenge.com , since we dont have the ability to have a gym on the deck I go to the crossfit gym on base and run to the pool about a 1.5m light jog something to think about an get some wods from there. On running days I never keep time just something I dont do if I am not dieing or puking I wasnt pushing to go faster at the end an on the days for Med pace runs I still keep the pace up to me having to take some deep breaths an slow it down. I never do the short card to me doing crossfit everyday but everything on the short cart put together is a crossfit type wod. The hiking well its hiking even being an 03 and a machine gunner on top of that yea the MOS no one wanted because we had to carry the guns on the little SOI hikes, I still catch myself being winded at about 3-4 miles not broke off but you know the rest is still going to suck. My knowledge on hiking tho before you ever worry about boots socks and where the hike is going its all about how u pack your ruck! heavy on bottom? heavy on top? fold it nicely? pack your sleeping system in the open spaces an cracks to make everything tight? All these questions plays the biggest factor. If your not confident in your ruck how its packed an your straps you already failed that ruck march. I completed week 1 last week my timed march was 38:01 3mile staying around a 13 min mile deff could of pushed myself faster just getting in the feel of pacing myself an running, because from what I have read after you ruck the day isnt over its never over so getting my leg strength to a solid pace to be able to put out still in other big events will help when its selection or maybe it wont but thats whats leads me to my other quick topic. Mental tuff I learned a good mental exercise it will be hard doing it by yourself but my lt would do it to us before we deployed, on our morning pt runs hit the beach or run, sprint you know morning pt but when we would be going back to our stage point well we would just turn another way. Run for another mile or so but watching marines just break down an make the poop face an some shed a tear but some you can see that hey its morning pt with lt you knew this would happen. So we all know we are going to A&S its starting back at T1 in bootcamp you dont know whats about to happen but you mentally prepared by saying to yourself its going to be tuff only the few and all that beltfed stuff but now your here, So yes the 10 week training is ruff an makes you want to rethink your options but just know when it comes to A&S T1 fight dont fly see how mentally and physically you can push and I bet by the end everyone that reads in these forums will be selected power of knowledge of knowing and reading.

thanks everyone for taken the time to read my soapbox rant but I take this serious because i'am a professional gunmen and anthlete striving for a new team with a harder tryout and good luck to all with training less then 60 days.:thumbsup:

~entire post~
:-o

You may want to use some more punctuation, proper grammar and clean up your sentences a bit in order to convey your message more clearly. I don't know if you were typing all that on a phone, but it hurt my brain and my eyes trying to read it and keep track/make sense of what you were saying. I'm not trying to pick on you by any means, just a suggestion so that you can get the type of feedback you're looking for.

P/S You'll find that being able to convey your thoughts in a logical manner will go a long way, not only on this site, but in your military and civilian career(s). :thumbsup:

0331, for my first couple of humps I threw a 50lb weight I bought from Play It Again Sports into a ruck then packed it with other random gear, it felt like crap. I see how packing the ruck is a big deal when it comes to weight distribution. I've also been trying to mentally push my pain barriers with crossfit workouts. The crossfit scene is new to me, I'm starting out with some example workouts "Uncle Petey" posted in the mentor section.

I'll say that the people who read this forum do have an edge, it's priceless to get advice from so many different backgrounds.

Sorry I'am on my phone feel like a douche for putting that up. For now on I'll stick to small stuff on my phone thanks.

Sorry I'am on my phone feel like a douche for putting that up. For now on I'll stick to small stuff on my phone thanks.

Not a big deal, my friend. This site has a wealth of information on it, just trying to help you get what you're looking for.

Hey Fellas,

I'll be joining you all for ASPOC/A&S this August as well. I'm a reservist, and am fortunate to have quite a lot of time and freedom to train. I'm breaking in to week 5 of the prep guide and it's really noticeable the progress I'm making. Even in areas where my times aren't dramatically improving I notice how much more fluidly I'm moving through the exercises, and that I'm recovering (and not ralphing all over myself) quicker.

I'm most satisfied with the progress I've made on the short card. I started the program not in my best shape, and suffered through a short card in about 18 minutes. By week 5 I clocked in at 12:39, with two in succession at 29:47.

I'm making more subtle progress in the pool and doing 300m slick in about 7:30, which hasn't changed dramatically since the start. But I'm now able to hold my breath for a minute, and can do successive 25m crossovers with about two minutes of rest in between. And finally, with some common sense applied, I finally figured out the flip turn.

For rucking I'm using the suggested 45 lbs ALICE pack. I live in a studio in Downtown Seattle, so items to pack it with were a bit hard to come by. Initially I used anything I could find with some weight to it; i.e. canned goods from my pantry. Prefering to eat those canned goods I went to Home Depot and bought a bag of play sand and empty sandbags, and made myself a few pills. I've now got a 25 lbs pill in the radio pouch of my ruck, and packed clothes and an extra pair of boots as filler. It's pretty cozy now. Here's my times: 3 mi/30 mins; 5 mi/52 mins; 8.5 mi/2:21; 12 mi/2:52. To the best of my ability I'm hauling ass through these. I basically shuffle until I'm tired, then walk briskly until I can shuffle again. I'm also practicing changing socks around the halfway point. I'm wearing Injinji socks inside Covert Thread socks, and a newer pair of Bates lights I'm breaking in. My feet are pretty happy.

The only setback I've experienced have been shin splints during my longer runs starting in week 4. I've always been a strong long-distance runner, never in my life suffering from them. Months before starting the program I switched over to running and lifting in Vibrams, which may be the culprit along with a combination of all the stress on my legs from the other routines. I took a week off from running, and indulged in some advice written by our MARSOC mentor and cut out my creatine supplementation. Yesterday I pushed through that 12 mi ruck without experiencing any shin pain, although I have yet to go for a long distance run; I'll report whether or not I defeated shin splints later on.

Ordman, good call on starting this thread. If you haven't already pumped Uncle Petey for advice I would definitely recommend that. We should all stay in touch over the next couple months. I know I'm getting anxious.

If there's any SOF hopefuls in Seattle wanting to get together and train, shoot me a message.

Stretch, and ice, practice your Pose Technique, warm up really well, then do short high intensity versus multi-mile runs. Then add distance as you get more comfortable.

You're right, I'm a dumb jarhead who's long neglected the value of stretching. At 27 I'm almost an old man in Marine years, and I'll need to embrace stretching more if I want some longevity in this business. This last week I've really been prioritzing a quick warm up before and a hard stretch after a session, and I notice I'm a lot less miserable the next day.

Post work out use static stretches. Pre-Workout do dynamic warm ups, with more mobility type work.

Off-topic, but I'm starting to the Marine Corps writ large starting to embrace this idea and its a great sight to see. Its great that we've finally accepted some modern exercise science, hopefully it'll cut down on the number of exercise injuries.

Back