1208 ASPOC/A&S

I just got back from A&S and got selected, and I can guarantee you that the non-disclosure agreement is something the cadre and staff take very seriously, don't hurt your chances by trying to "help" anyone.

Just to add what Free was saying about aids to navigation (I know it's a few days old but nav is own of my very few areas of expertise that pertain to a lot of things on this site). The use of handrails and backstops are 2 VERY key instructional tools to set you up for success when navigating on your own in the woods.

I don't know what terrain you will be navigating on so I will throw this in there just in case. DO NOT use swamps, streams or any small body of water that can be influenced by a small family of beavers to handrail. Beavers can change a course of water in a matter of 24 hours and chances are the ground won't have been surveyed and maps printed off the day before you being your nav course.

A big thing in my line of work is doing a proper map recce before stepping off towards an objective, be it a nav point or an enemy position is one of the most important things you can do. From that you will determine some good handrails and backstops that can be used to aid your movement.

Another point to add, make your your magnetic declination is bang on and set in your compass before stepping off. Having it a few mils off with throw you off course by (potentially) a good distance, depending on the distance between your legs on the nav course.

That stuff may or may not come in handy when prepping for your selection, hopefully it does. I'm by no means an SME on this stuff, I'm just a reconnaissance guy.

Training note: I managed to kick my shin splints. I took a week and a half off from distance running, prioritized a warm up before and a hard stretch after training, cut out creatine from my diet, and popped 800 mg of Ibuprofen before bed every night. I just pounded 5 miles of pavement slick and I'm good to go.

I'm feeling the benefits of using my Vibrams during my slick runs, short cards, and weight sessions, but I'm wary of showing up to ASPOC with them. I'll continue to train with them until I leave, but I might just go with what I know won't effect my performance in the short term. Have you guys committed to a running shoe yet?

New Balance, Converse All Stars, Merrill's, all the low profile shoes will do. I'd stay away from using VFF's at ASPOC. One guy wore them ( the more rugged bottomed) but he didn't perform all that well. Could have just been the individual, but I thought I saw a hesitancy on his part to push himself. You need more protection on your feet, the roads are graveled, so your not running on something soft and ergonomic.

Watch the Pose Videos, learn the techniques, practice them, then work them in sprints, short then long. Recover and maintain lower leg mobility, you will see "shin-splints" disappear.

mac21 The comment I was referring to was a bit questionable.

On the other hand, as far as shoes go, I wore the Minimus New Balance, and I definitely wished I wore somethign with a bit more padding. Like Uncle Petey said, most of the running is done on gravel roads, VFF will hurt. I was able to do fine and keep up but my feet were a bit bruised from the rocks.

running with the merrill chameleon 4 cyclone and thinking about getting a pair of the rocky s2v to train in. any one have anything to say about the s2v? just sucks if I like them cant take them to A&S an ASPOC.

Ordman - those Injini socks are like anything else, you have to give them and your feet time to get used to each other, but you will love them if you stick with it. Wear them around the house, to work, on a short light run etc. Putting them on for the first time on your 12 miler isn't the best idea, IMO.

If you're not comfy and cozy in the water you need to get there. Like your package says, only authorized Marine Corps boots with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor embossed on the sides are authorized for wear and use at ASPOC and A&S. I wore bates lite's and had Dr Scholls gel inserts the entire time with no issues, I also had danner's but only wore them probably 3 times. You can go to any sporting goods store and see which insoles fits you best, talk to the sales associates there, they actually know what they're talking about, well, most of them anyway.

Train with the gear on the gear list. Pack your rucks with that gear. If you can't get that gear, get as close to it as possible. Try packing your ruck a few diff ways, you'd be amazed at what you discover when you do. A large alice ruck with a frame will cost you around $60 online, I bought mine from GI Joe's Military Surplus. Guys were complaining about the rucks and weight because all they trained with was a 50 pound sandbag and their ruck times were way slower than when they were training. :thumbsdown:

I tried the Bates lites but like I said, the heel was just going to rip my skin off. Am I right when I say that blisters and hot spots are something that just have to be managed...because there's no way around them? Every boot that I've tried has some minor defect that screws my feet on the humps. I've read everything on this site about humping and I've seen several cases of the magical boot that never gave anyone any problems...but those aren't allowed at A&S.

Good point on the injijis, probably not the best way to assess a new piece of gear. This week will be a light week for me, I'm doing the pose techniques and focusing on my form in the pool. I recently spoke with a guy that just got selected at A&S, his times in the pool and hump were unGodly, one of the mental challenges for me will definitely be going from above average to somewhere in the lower middle at A&S with no pat on my back, something to think about.

The blisters and hot spots just need to be managed...all the time, not just when you're rucking. The guys that I saw with those issues 1) didn't condition their feet for what we were doing 2) didn’t try aftermarket gear ie, insoles, socks etc 3) when we got done, they’d lay around complaining about their pains instead of stretching and icing it down (preventative maintenance goes a long way) 4) when we got done, they took a shower and ran off on libo 5) when they did get blisters/hotspots they’d panic and try something outrageous that someone else tried and worked for them. Stick to what you know and what works for you. It’s simple, if you want your feet to feel good, take care of them. If something hurts, make a note and research it, you’ll find an answer and solution. Try Dr Scholl’s website, it’s full of great knowledge regarding foot pain. I worked out all my kinks and practiced good habits regarding foot care before getting to ASPOC and A&S, it became a habit so that was the last thing on my mind and never became an issue.

I'm going to start experimenting with taping techniques on my next hump, I bought some Nexcare 3m medical tape that was mentioned on a previous thread. After my last 12 mile hump I took 4 days off then jumped in the pool today; my hip flexors are getting stronger from swimming and hiking and my endurance/speed in the pool keeps getting better. I shied away from timing myself because I wanted to focus on form and ended up swimming 650 meters easy (slick) non-stop. I'm going to focus on shorter/faster distances with the ruck on this week combined with some deadlifts and sprints.

I pulled a lower back muscle earlier this year and keep feeling a very faint residual annoyance in the same spot, I wouldn't even call it a pain but it's there. I've read that some nerve endings could have been slightly damaged from the initial injury which could lead to this effect. Like you said Fiji I'm trying to work out the small kinks before the real deal.

There was one Marine that wore steel toes for ASPOC. Don't be that Marine. The Injini socks work wonders. I would wear them underneath a set of wool socks that I picked up from Wal-Mart for pretty cheap. Don't buy any moleskin before you head out to Stone Bay. They had a box full of Moleskin for you there.

Thanks unguided, are the steel toes just to heavy? I bought 10 pair of Fox River socks in 2010 and they've lasted me through 2 deployments and haven't broken down. I'm a believer in the synthetic materials. I haven't bought any moisture wicking shirts yet but I'm going to, 10 bucks a shirt...ouch.

I'm about to run 6 miles in sauconies, I'll throw my time up here later. I put my times on here so readers can gauge and compete, I've identified a lot of improvement that I need by listening to y'all. Have a good weekend.

1st 3 miles was in 19:30, hit the 6 mile mark at 41:50. I had to stop and walk 3 times. My form is definately better since practicing the pose technique, I used to be a big time heel striker. I wrapped it up with some sprints.

Yessir, I never knew I could run until I joined the Marine Corps and that time is considered good but not great (at least where I'm at right now).

Excellent idea! I was thinking about that earlier today and was surprised no one (myself included) mentioned it yet. $15 at any sport store or at the Exchange and they are worth their weight in gold!! Just learn how to use them properly.

ETA: Your ITB will thank you.

Whatsup gents, I'm assuming you guys got the email with the new 10 week program...I wish I would have been working smart with the "movement to preperation" warmup along time ago, would have saved me a few injuries. I can't follow the program to the T but I make sure I get as much as they say to do, if not more on different days. Stay motivated!

Back