1208 ASPOC/A&S

Firstly, congratulations to those that made it through to the next step. I however, still have to submit my package. My NSW/SO was kicked back for my eyes, they could not get a waiver for my bad vision. Long story short, got PRK done and waiting for the 90 days to heal. I’m hoping for January, but as long as I get orders to ASPOC and A&S I’m happy.

Congrats to all who made it. And Semper Fi to the future members/leaders of Marine Special Ops. :thumbsup:

Firstly, congratulations to those that made it through to the next step. I however, still have to submit my package. My NSW/SO was kicked back for my eyes, they could not get a waiver for my bad vision. Long story short, got PRK done and waiting for the 90 days to heal. I’m hoping for January, but as long as I get orders to ASPOC and A&S I’m happy.
How bad was your vision? I'm on my way to get my NSW on Monday and I'm legitimately concerned that my eyes may be the only thing keeping me out of this commitment.

Also, congratulations (albeit kind of late) to those who were selected and by now in ITC.

Can we get a mention of all the posters who made it?

EDIT: It seems as though FatGrat, AKKeith 0331, mp52026 and GangsterFish3/7 are the last ones to check in, by my count.

I'm headed to the Aug/Sept class now. I fell of the grid there for awhile. I was suppose to head to the April/May class of last year but I got orders to my present unit right before and my old unit told me to go from that unit. Then my new unit stabilized so I couldn't leave and now I'm deployed. So get back late spring and plan on heading out to the Aug class. Its hard to train out here in Okinawa and Ill be getting on ship here real soon which will make it a lot harder. Either way though Ill be up and ready to go just like I was last time.

I'm headed to the Aug/Sept class now. I fell of the grid there for awhile. I was suppose to head to the April/May class of last year but I got orders to my present unit right before and my old unit told me to go from that unit. Then my new unit stabilized so I couldn't leave and now I'm deployed. So get back late spring and plan on heading out to the Aug class. Its hard to train out here in Okinawa and Ill be getting on ship here real soon which will make it a lot harder. Either way though Ill be up and ready to go just like I was last time.
AK, I'm working my package right now to be in the Sept class. If everything goes well on Monday with my NSW then it's just a matter of me submitting. Have fun on your float!

How bad was your vision? I'm on my way to get my NSW on Monday and I'm legitimately concerned that my eyes may be the only thing keeping me out of this commitment.

Also, congratulations (albeit kind of late) to those who were selected and by now in ITC.

My vision was horrible; bad astigmatism in both eyes and unable to get a waiver. However the PRK fixed that for me and have a signed NSW/SO. Just a few admin touches and will finally submit this package; took a couple of years to finally get done. Still hopong for April class. Hope everything goes well for you.

My vision was horrible; bad astigmatism in both eyes and unable to get a waiver. However the PRK fixed that for me and have a signed NSW/SO. Just a few admin touches and will finally submit this package; took a couple of years to finally get done. Still hopong for April class. Hope everything goes well for you.

Well fortunately my vision checked out at 20/50 & 20/20 so I'm good with that. Due to my current obligations I cant go til Aug.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Looking to go to Aspoc this April class upon completion of my NSW/SO and feel like I dont have enough time to get where I want, I'm 6'3 at a solid 223 and would honestly like to be down to 205 before then, my training is limited because of field ops and other training evolutions. Could use some advice on the workout regiment to use to help shed these extra pounds without losing a lot of my strength. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Justin

Looking to go to Aspoc this April class upon completion of my NSW/SO and feel like I dont have enough time to get where I want, I'm 6'3 at a solid 223 and would honestly like to be down to 205 before then, my training is limited because of field ops and other training evolutions. Could use some advice on the workout regiment to use to help shed these extra pounds without losing a lot of my strength. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Justin

Justin,
I am by no means an expert in the field, but I can provide you with what I do on a weekly basis in prep for A&S. First, is your diet. Personally I prefer to stick to as close to Paleo as I can. (If you would like more information on that just hit me up). As for exercises, I do a combination of different things.

Mornings:
Mon, Wed, Fri mornings: I run a full PFT before doing group PT. (Being that I am stationed in MA, the flight line will sometimes see single digit temps so I have to stick to the treadmill).
Mon-Fri mornings: Group PT (usually consists of 5v5 basketball, weight lifting circuits, or some sort of crossfit).
Afternoons:
Tues&Thursday afternoons: My SNCOIC and myself go to the pool and do speed swims (anywhere from 300-1000m swims, in cammies for time).
Mon, Wed, Fri afternoons: Some sort of speed work (sprints). I generally alternate each week between boots&utes/pt gear.
Saturdays: LONG ruck/swim/ruck or run/swim/run. Fortunately for me, the pool I go to is exactly 3 miles from my house so I throw on some old school cammies, a mountain ruck, and take off. To extend past 6 miles I pass up the pool by 2 miles, then do the same on my route back for a total of 10 miles.
Sunday: Rest/Recover
Evenings:
Mon-Thur evenings: My wife and I do crossfit at our gym, we'll usually do the Spartan WOD, or something I cook up at work.

Hopefully I haven't confused you too bad with that, basically it comes down to being extremely active about 3 times a day. It seems like a lot but I honestly can say I have yet to feel any real discomforts (aside from the normal soreness). I'm 5'11" and weigh 187. When I used to lift a lot I was up to 196 but I can honestly say I feel stronger now than I did at that time, just minus some mass. If you don't feel ready for A&S, why not just request to hold off until the Aug/Sept class?

Hope this helped,

Josh

Justin,
I am by no means an expert in the field, but I can provide you with what I do on a weekly basis in prep for A&S. First, is your diet. Personally I prefer to stick to as close to Paleo as I can. (If you would like more information on that just hit me up). As for exercises, I do a combination of different things.

Mornings:
Mon, Wed, Fri mornings: I run a full PFT before doing group PT. (Being that I am stationed in MA, the flight line will sometimes see single digit temps so I have to stick to the treadmill).
Mon-Fri mornings: Group PT (usually consists of 5v5 basketball, weight lifting circuits, or some sort of crossfit).
Afternoons:
Tues&Thursday afternoons: My SNCOIC and myself go to the pool and do speed swims (anywhere from 300-1000m swims, in cammies for time).
Mon, Wed, Fri afternoons: Some sort of speed work (sprints). I generally alternate each week between boots&utes/pt gear.
Saturdays: LONG ruck/swim/ruck or run/swim/run. Fortunately for me, the pool I go to is exactly 3 miles from my house so I throw on some old school cammies, a mountain ruck, and take off. To extend past 6 miles I pass up the pool by 2 miles, then do the same on my route back for a total of 10 miles.
Sunday: Rest/Recover
Evenings:
Mon-Thur evenings: My wife and I do crossfit at our gym, we'll usually do the Spartan WOD, or something I cook up at work.

Hopefully I haven't confused you too bad with that, basically it comes down to being extremely active about 3 times a day. It seems like a lot but I honestly can say I have yet to feel any real discomforts (aside from the normal soreness). I'm 5'11" and weigh 187. When I used to lift a lot I was up to 196 but I can honestly say I feel stronger now than I did at that time, just minus some mass. If you don't feel ready for A&S, why not just request to hold off until the Aug/Sept class?

Hope this helped,

Josh

Josh,
I really appreciate it man that actually does help alot. I just needed a basis workout like yours that I can start and build off of, throw in some things of my own. Its just kind of hard to go from being a go big or go home weight lifter your whole life to becoming a running, dieting, crossfit junkie... but it sounds like you really have your stuff on point and I appreciate you taking the time to write me back.
Justin

Like you said, you can incorporate just about any other workouts into it. When I get closer to time for A&S I'll be doing some longer rucks, for now I'm just trying to get the speed part down.

As for strength, like I said I used to be a lot bigger but after starting this regimen in November I quickly figured out that there was a lot more fat than I thought.

No problem, I enjoy helping people out when I can.

Justin

I'm 6'3" and I lost 30 pounds (215->185) in 10 months before I shipped to boot camp. The only thing I changed was what I ate.

How's everything going for everyone?

Anyone have any exciting plans in terms of training for this year before they go to A&S? So far I plan on attending MCWSS, Martial Arts Instructor Course, I'm about to finish up Cpl's Course (finally lol).

They won't send me to MCWSS or AIC because of A&S :( Oh well though....My workouts are different WODs from SealFIT, Palehorse, MA, Shadow Spears Program and Swimming. I try to take two days off a week now because I was doing 6 days of training for 6 weeks and guess I was doing more than I should.

That is very unfortunate your command won't allow you any extra training opportunities, but understandable.

So far I haven't had any issues with over working myself. Although, lately I haven't been in my normal routine, gotta wait til I get out of Corporal's Course.

Back