1208 ASPOC/A&S

Ordman, what were some major differences in your improved stroke vs your not so improved breast stroke?

On a side note, I was honor grad for my Cpl's Course...both academically as well as voted by my peers..pretty excited about that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thats awesome man, peers don't vote for an A-hole.

I'll try and explain the stroke the best I can: bad stroke-I would pull my hands all the way down almost to my hips then bring them back up, my legs would be seperated and clumsy at the end of my frog kick.

After critique: hands will mimic a "diamand" shape around my head, palms down on the initial thrust, then "clapped" together to bring them back up for the reset. legs were closed together with toes pointed at the end of the frog kick. Body was almost level with the water, just enough to sneak a breathe from the side.

Thank you gentlemen.

Ordman, I definitely had the same issue that you had initially. I kept trying to make my pulls as long and wide as possible (to me that made the most sense). After some direction from a fellow Marine and a bunch of videos on Youtube, I figured out what I need to be doing and where my body should be while swimming.

Were you able to kick off the wall during your timed 300?

I'll try and explain the stroke the best I can: bad stroke-I would pull my hands all the way down almost to my hips then bring them back up, my legs would be seperated and clumsy at the end of my frog kick.

After critique: hands will mimic a "diamand" shape around my head, palms down on the initial thrust, then "clapped" together to bring them back up for the reset. legs were closed together with toes pointed at the end of the frog kick. Body was almost level with the water, just enough to sneak a breathe from the side.

Made perfect sense. Thanks Ordman. I always thought the sidestroke was more conservative of energy, but I've been practicing it in a speedo, so there's less drag. I'll begin grinding on the breast stroke.

Thanks gents.

Made perfect sense. Thanks Ordman. I always thought the sidestroke was more conservative of energy, but I've been practicing it in a speedo, so there's less drag. I'll begin grinding on the breast stroke.

Thanks gents.
The sheer audacity of training in a speedo should carry you through brother :) I would be reluctant to present my humble package in a speedo. you are a brave man Hillclimb.

Congrats on honor grad arch_angel! Really through the different courses I've been to, it's always a guy with good character and motivation. Hillclimb, you rock that speedo til death lol. Where are you at with cammies in a 300m?

Thanks everyone. Now time to get back on the grind. Found out today I may be going to MCWSS after-all so I'm pretty excited about that. Def. been on cloud nine these past couple weeks.

Congrats on honor grad arch_angel! Really through the different courses I've been to, it's always a guy with good character and motivation. Hillclimb, you rock that speedo til death lol. Where are you at with cammies in a 300m?

I will have to let you know once I get signed up at the YMCA's pool, if they will allow swimming in cammies. The one I was using on base is closed for the winter/maintainence, and I don't think I timed myself accurately. I will say it was a game changer after being used to swimming slick for awhile.

Really going to be hammering the pool and going a little lighter in the gym this month, as I will be attending April-May ASPOC/A&S. Is anyone else slotted to go?

Congrats arch_angel! My aspoc date is quickly aproaching and I am going to take a little time off from the lifting portion and spend this last month in the pool and carry the ruck everywhere, here lately ive been doing a lot of cross-fit, HITT type workout. Although I feel like I may need some critique on my swimming, Ive always been able to swim pretty good but ive never been on a swim team or anything like that..I was just thrown into a pool at an early age and told to not drown. Everyone keeps saying breast stroke but I honestly feel my side stroke is faster for me and I dont get nearly as tired..my side stroke 300m in cammies is 9mins on the dot as of today and my breast around 11..I was tired after the breast, not so much after the side and maybe that is just my technique flaws. I swim at the area 2 pool on camp lejeune and am pretty much available anytime of the day if anyone else goes there and wouldn't mind giving me a few pointers, it would be greatly appreciated...

Side-stroke is the way to go. Last I heard there was some silliness regarding the version of the Sidestroke you could use. Breast-stroke is not the fastest for most people. Practice both though.

That's weird that you say the Petey, i trust your word on it, but I have heard from the guys that I know that have gone, and the MCIWS/WSA course the breast is the preferred stroke when speed comes before energy, when survival strokes are needed of course

Breast-stroke and speed? I've never heard that before. If your a talented competitive Breast-stroker I'd say yes. The Combat Side Stroke of the Crawl stoke are the fastest. The breast-stroke (IMHO) apply to water rescues, and closer tactical swimming. It is an awesome stroke but not the fastest for most people.

As of current the side stroke if used at ASPOC is the life-saving side stoke. I do not like this at all, but I am not in charge. To all of you reading this. Be aware of that fact. I would prefer that you guys really learn to do the CSS. It teaches you how to move in a streamlined fashion through the water and it works very well with fins. If you can master the CSS adjusting to the Life-saving side stroke should be no problem. Also once your in ITC strokes are a bit different. Our swimming is a bit different than that swimming at BUD/s. But there is a reason the SEAL/s came up with the thing, it works and its useful. If you not pushing a ruck in front of you it is far superior to breast-stroking for thousands of meters in fins.

I've told many of you that the best overall fitness stroke is the Crawl stroke. No world record in any other stroke comes close to it (Butterfly?, not very tactical though.) Crawl helps you understand streamlined body position as well as the kick. In crawl stroke your kick is not much, but with fins on wearing a MK-25 Dive Rig you'll soon understand the flutter-kick exercise you've done for years.

All strokes are useful in some form or fashion. But what really matters is comfort and relaxation in the water. If your confident and you can be taught anything. None of this is impossible. Being really good in that water just takes practice.

Thanks for the info Petey, Ive spent a lot more time in the water these past few weeks working speed, technique and distance and come to find out Ive become quite fond of the breast stroke over the side stroke. I work both as you mentioned before but im really finding the side stroke to be more efficient in the longer swims.

I am also currently stationed at MCAS Miramar. Just waiting on UMO and Waiver for time in grade then I will be on my way to ASPOC in August. I am looking for more people to train with in the area. One of my fellow Marines just got selected and is back so he will also be training with me. Just hit me up on here. I am Power Plants BTW.

I am also currently stationed at MCAS Miramar. Just waiting on UMO and Waiver for time in grade then I will be on my way to ASPOC in August. I am looking for more people to train with in the area. One of my fellow Marines just got selected and is back so he will also be training with me. Just hit me up on here. I am Power Plants BTW.
You can find me at the pool in cammies almost everyday. Especially on Tuesdays and Thursdays since those are the days it is set up for 50m length.

Everything Petey said.

Concur with Uncle Petey. Learn all the strokes to include the combat swimmer stroke even if you can't use it at BRC/ITC (I don't know if you can or not).

You will probably not be timed at freestyle (crawlstroke) but you will probably have to do it at BRC/ITC/MCD. We also did some butterfly in addition to Helen Kellers (swim holding your right foot with your left arm and vice versa), u boats (an elementary backstroke in the opposite direction with your feet out of the water) and a zillion cross overs of every variety. There was a stroke that combined crawlstroke and the racing backstroke. Whirlybird or something.

I am actually more comfortable with the breast stroke but I'm an anomaly. I can do a 500 meter breast stroke in ten minuts without really raising my heart rate much. You guys are all young PT studs and are training to beat mako sharks in open water swims but when you start joining the old and the bold you start to place a higher priority on efficiency and longevity. An efficient breast stroke is a real energy saver and has a place in your training.

I also agree that an efficient combat swimmer stroke is MUCH faster than the breast stroke. It takes a lot of skill and energy to do a fast breast stroke. It's really not worth the effort to do fast. No one has ever expected me to break 10 minutes on my 500m. So I use the breast stroke. If I need to really bust ass, I'll do the CSS. Different strokes for different folks right? Most of the stuff you do in the fleet is with fins and a ruck anyway. No one is going to care how fast you can knock out a 500m slick. All people care about is that you can bust out an accurate 2000m dive or fin in less than an hour.

Jim, MCWIS does not authorize the combat swimmer stroke. You are allowed to do the regular side stroke but that's not too fast. MCWIS will fail you for improper form as much as speed. A lot of guys at MCWIS have some sort of competitive swimming background and while the breast stroke is a racing stroke, the side stroke is not. It's natural that they would prefer it.

Back