17 yr old, Marine Poolee wanting to challenge myself mentally, push myself physically and prep for Recon

BigPapiChulo1776

Unverified
First of all this is a dope ass community with great resources and stories. I grew up having to work for things and in poverty, one thing that always sticked by me was the thought of joining the military. One of the first books I remember reading in 1st grade were a Ranger, Green Beret, and Delta Force big picture book. Being an obese child and early teen Ive doubted my ability to even join. Until recently about 2 years ago a another series of sucky ass events made me turn to working out everyday by myself. Simple burpees and situps and squats, I'm strong and decided to enlist in the USMC (almost went Navy). I've always known I'd be here, just never knew specifically when or what. Pushing my self at home drove me to start this process. I have until the summer of 2021 until I ship out, I want the challenge and to prove to myself I can do it. The brotherhood attracts me and to fight the evils of this world is a must. For God, Family, and Country. Any advice you guys have šŸ‘ŒšŸ¼šŸ‘ŒšŸ¼ill take. Thanks Again!

I went to the Recon Screening in 2017 after having already served 7 years in the Marine Corps, and let me tell you.. Don't be bulky with muscle because it will weigh you down, and they will roast your ass in the pool. Run, swim in uniform, and practice the two strokes theyll let you use at the screening. Also, if and when you actually become a Marine, pay attention and put out on the O-Course because at the Recon screening you'll have to do it twice in a row for time. Good luck man!

Good on you for choosing Recon. Thereā€™s a whole lot you can do to help yourself, but Iā€™ll just share one for now.
šŸ·šŸ„šBuy yourself an ALICE ruck and make yourself a ā€œsand pillā€ A.K.A. Pig Egg. No need to go over 35-40 lbs dry for your preparation training. Bring a camelbak and fruit snacks. If youā€™re made of money, you can get involved with GORUCK. They have all sorts of products that will turn you into a bougie ruck snob.
Recon training requires a lot of different strong suits of you but one of the most important is RUNNING. If you canā€™t run three miles faster than 21:30-22:00 on a bad day, youā€™re going to have a heck of a time passing the prep course, let alone BRC.
0435858C-5FFF-4FEF-917C-D23D6C9222C7.jpeg

Back