18 Series Mentor Request

WIDEOPENTRIGGERED

Unverified
Thanks to Gates of Fire, Get Selected, and Extreme Ownership I understand the benefits of a mentor and I am currently seeking someone who would be willing that is either in group or recently out of group. I also understand that you are not there to hold my hand and that I have to put in all the work. Please feel free to reach out, I would be more than grateful for your insight.

My Background
68W1P about 3 years AD

My current reading list
"Get Selected!"
"Extreme Ownership" -Jocko Willink
"Gates of fire" -Steven Pressfield
"The Guerrilla Factory" - Tony Schwalm
"Masters of Chaos" - Linda Robinson

My Current PT Plan
SUN- LISS Long Run
M-PUSH,PULL,CORE,LIFT,2Mi Run
Tu- Ruck 55lbs,10lbs sledge, 6 miles FAST
W- LISS Long Run
Th- Ruck for PT, Run 5 mile later
F- PUSH, PULL, CORE,LIFT,2Mi Run
SAT- Ruck 35lbs,10lbs sledge, LONG RUCK

Current Stat
ACFT- 541
APFT- 291
5 mile pace - 7:45
6 mile ruck pace (55lbs with sledge)- 15:05
Pullups - 12

I don’t know if others would agree with me, but I did once a week, or every other week.

If you’re training correctly, the rucking will improve from normal exercise. The rucking itself was more to just learn the technique and get comfortable with where the pack should sit to avoid hotspots.

I also had time, so I did it progressively. Started with 2 miles in gym clothes, aiming for 12-13 minute pace, then add 2 more miles as the pace and progress allowed. Occasionally do the full kit to get used to the heat and extra weight and figuring out what to do with your hands. But in my opinion, save your knees.

In my opinion, one day per week of rucking is sufficient. You have one spine and one pair of knees, so be judicious with them. Being able to maintain the proper pace is more important than distance or weight, IMHO. That's not to discount either, but if you get accustomed to a brisk pace in the beginning, it bodes well. It's harder to add speed than it is to lengthen the distance or increase the weight. Good luck.

In my opinion, one day per week of rucking is sufficient. You have one spine and one pair of knees, so be judicious with them. Being able to maintain the proper pace is more important than distance or weight, IMHO. That's not to discount either, but if you get accustomed to a brisk pace in the beginning, it bodes well. It's harder to add speed than it is to lengthen the distance or increase the weight. Good luck.
Thank you!

Thanks to Gates of Fire, Get Selected, and Extreme Ownership I understand the benefits of a mentor and I am currently seeking someone who would be willing that is either in group or recently out of group. I also understand that you are not there to hold my hand and that I have to put in all the work. Please feel free to reach out, I would be more than grateful for your insight.

My Background
68W1P about 3 years AD

My current reading list
"Get Selected!"
"Extreme Ownership" -Jocko Willink
"Gates of fire" -Steven Pressfield
"The Guerrilla Factory" - Tony Schwalm
"Masters of Chaos" - Linda Robinson

My Current PT Plan
SUN- LISS Long Run
M-PUSH,PULL,CORE,LIFT,2Mi Run
Tu- Ruck 55lbs,10lbs sledge, 6 miles FAST
W- LISS Long Run
Th- Ruck for PT, Run 5 mile later
F- PUSH, PULL, CORE,LIFT,2Mi Run
SAT- Ruck 35lbs,10lbs sledge, LONG RUCK

Current Stat
ACFT- 541
APFT- 291
5 mile pace - 7:45
6 mile ruck pace (55lbs with sledge)- 15:05
Pullups - 12

Where were you a W1?

I disagree with my fellows on here. I think that if you are good Rucker you can run, but not the opposite. Time under weight builds things other than muscles. Time under a ruck builds toughness. Your shoulders and feet need toughness. It is easier to quicken your run time than it is to build toughness in your shoulders and feet. It is easier to improve your deadlift than it is to harden your shoulders and feet. Lastly your mind needs toughness. You will be under a ruck for 3 weeks at SFAS, all day everyday. That takes toughness that you cannot learn, and must be prepared to endure.

The only way to toughen your mind, shoulders and feet is with miles and weight(but no more than 65lbs wet)

Never deployed so no where important haha (though every commander would say otherwise)

I've got more experience shoveling snow/mowing the grass and treating heat cats than I do firing my rifle and stopping real bleeds.

Maybe just answer the question? You are a SOCM grad?

Let me ask again, where were you a W1?

Maybe just answer the question? You are a SOCM grad?

Let me ask again, where were you a W1?
No no no, sorry. I dont know how that got misconstrued as me being a SOCM grad. I have never attended SOCM. My old SRB said 68W1P. I can give you more info in PM if you'd like. I don't want to come off at all as something I'm not.

All good. All I've got under my belt is the parachutist badge which doesn't account for much anymore from the sound of it.

I am looking to better myself and SOCM does interest me but I really want to apply myself to the 18 series career field.

All good. All I've got under my belt is the parachutist badge which doesn't account for much anymore from the sound of it.

I am looking to better myself and SOCM does interest me but I really want to apply myself to the 18 series career field.

We are on the same page now. That was 100% on me.

That's what I did too. One max effort 6 mile ruck per week. I had a lot of Marine Corps rucks in the past, but this really speed up my time. Overall, I would say running 20 miles a week in leu of the 1 time ruck greatly improves your ruck time too.

Back