18 X-ray - Land Nav Road Kill

azuck25

Unverified
Hello everyone, it’s been a while since I’ve posted here. I’ve been busy and joined the guard as an 18x. I finally got my first chance at selection and was a Land Nav drop the last day before team week. I found 5 points and was road killed looking for a water crossing. I wish I could have suffered through team week with my brothers but I messed up and I own that.

Anyway, I’ve been given the opportunity to stay at SWCS and give selection another go in 6 months. I’d like to pick the brain of some of the seasoned guys here about land nav.

- As you got more reps in over the years what are the things you’ve noticed that helped you accurately arrive at your points ?

- Do you have a technique that you found that helps you move faster in rough terrain during the night ?

1] Handrails, Backstops, and Attack Points
H - chose routes along roads, staying off distance briefed
B - pick a major terrain feature to ensure you dont go too far
AP - find a major intersection or known point on a map within 300m of your point and dead reckon from that location.

2] Route selection. Assuming you are talking about draws. The only way to move fast is to plan around Them.

Good Luck... :thumbsup:

Many of the points at SFAS are near enough a road or intersection to effectively utilize the crossing as an attack point.

Terrain association vs dead reackoning. You should be able to do both, but you shouldn’t need to dead reaction super often. I would normally take a bearing, then utilize terrain association to book ass towards the target, I would utilize left and right limits of either a terrain feature or a road to funnel me towards my next target. I never really dead reckoned further than a couple hundred meters.

Unsure of the terrain over there. But i literally picked a general heading (checking my compass every so often to ensure i was on heading), lots of channelizing features to hand rail, and multiple back stops. I always did an extra sanity check and map study and knew if i hit my back stop or blew past it, that id have some sort of extra identifying terrain to reorient myself.

After that, I'd literally jog nonstop like a boar breaking brush to all my points and was usually the first 2 in for the day. This gave me time to navigate water crossings/or take the long way around.

Itll feel like you're jogging blindly until you get some practice, and can pull your map out and find where your are quickly. So prepare for the self doubt while doing it. But its the only way i like to do it now. My fatass knew the sooner i got there.. the sooner i could rest. Then eventually you'll recognize your paces much like how you just know what a 7 or 830 min mile feels like. And that makes your map checks better for finding your position.

Unsure of the terrain over there. But i literally picked a general heading (checking my compass every so often to ensure i was on heading), lots of channelizing features to hand rail, and multiple back stops. I always did an extra sanity check and map study and knew if i hit my back stop or blew past it, that id have some sort of extra identifying terrain to reorient myself.

After that, I'd literally jog nonstop like a boar breaking brush to all my points and was usually the first 2 in for the day. This gave me time to navigate water crossings/or take the long way around.

Itll feel like you're jogging blindly until you get some practice, and can pull your map out and find where your are quickly. So prepare for the self doubt while doing it. But its the only way i like to do it now. My fatass knew the sooner i got there.. the sooner i could rest. Then eventually you'll recognize your paces much like how you just know what a 7 or 830 min mile feels like. And that makes your map checks better for finding your position.

This is the way.

Hoffman Training area is relatively flat, but the features jump out at you after a while. “Hills” become more noticeable as you practice. Just a little FYI, Hoffman is not a closed military site. Get your ass out there with a map and walk around.
Just don’t get murdered.

Back