19th Group Support schools?

For example, I recently had a soldier come to my guard unit from active duty, were he served all 8 years between two groups. Even though he's airborne qualified, he hasn't jumped in years because (according to him) a large number of support troops were removed from jump status at his last unit. If I recall correctly, his understanding was only the parachute riggers and SOT-A members still jumped.

Realistically, only a handful of non SOT-A types in Support Company need to be jump qualified and on status.

I was a support guy in 5th Group. 5th Group isn't 19th Group, and it was a long time ago, but...

1) My experience was that Group tends to not want to send red-hats to training or schools, particularly "career enhancing" (e.g. badgefinding) schools. So good luck with that.

2) The training you should be seeking is the training that is going to make you a better enabler. Will Ranger School do that? Well, it will certainly enhance your credibility with the long tab guys. At first. But then you have to perform. So instead of prestige schools, maybe you should concentrate on MOS-enhancing schools. I spent a lot of time doing intel in SOF units, and in all that time, and seven tours downrange, I never once did anything "Ranger"-like. I did, however, do a whole bunch of intel stuff. And I was good at it, because that's what I prioritized. And that's probably why I got to keep doing it.

4) I commanded the Group MI Detachment and later the Group Support Company in 5th Group. Back in the day, all of the Ranger (V) coded MI MOSs in 5th Group were in the Group MID, so they all worked for me. So I had many Ranger-coded billets but I think I had something like two total Ranger-qualified MI Soldiers. We just had other priorities. And when we deployed no one wore patches anyway, so the people we were supporting 1) didn't know whether we were Ranger qualified, and 2) didn't care. All that mattered was how well we could do the job. At the end of the day those ODAs have PLENTY of people who can "Ranger." They need people who can <<<insert skilled support MOS here>>>.

5) I will never say that having a Ranger Tab doesn't matter, because it does. However, there are things that matter more. For me, it's always family first. No matter how good you are, no matter what you do in the Army, one day the Army will leave you, or you will leave it. However, if you do it right, your family will always be there for you. So my advice is to always prioritize family. But family and SOF are not always mutually exclusive. Communication and clear expectations are key. I suggest you figure out what works for your family, get REALLY good at your job, THEN worry about things like Ranger School.

6) Others have had different experiences and perspectives, and YMMV.
Thank you for the perspective. I agree with the statement on family. I love my wife and the life we have built together. I wouldn’t be where i am today without my wife. She helped me lose 110lbs to even become eligible to join. My wife didn’t marry me expecting to someday be a military spouse. She has stood by my side and sacrificed a lot to let me chase silly dreams I’ve pursued, such as trying to join the FBI. I’m 34 years old now and am in the twilight of my eligibility to join the Army, so it’s now or never.

I was a support guy in 5th Group. 5th Group isn't 19th Group, and it was a long time ago, but...

1) My experience was that Group tends to not want to send red-hats to training or schools, particularly "career enhancing" (e.g. badgefinding) schools. So good luck with that.

2) The training you should be seeking is the training that is going to make you a better enabler. Will Ranger School do that? Well, it will certainly enhance your credibility with the long tab guys. At first. But then you have to perform. So instead of prestige schools, maybe you should concentrate on MOS-enhancing schools. I spent a lot of time doing intel in SOF units, and in all that time, and seven tours downrange, I never once did anything "Ranger"-like. I did, however, do a whole bunch of intel stuff. And I was good at it, because that's what I prioritized. And that's probably why I got to keep doing it.

4) I commanded the Group MI Detachment and later the Group Support Company in 5th Group. Back in the day, all of the Ranger (V) coded MI MOSs in 5th Group were in the Group MID, so they all worked for me. So I had many Ranger-coded billets but I think I had something like two total Ranger-qualified MI Soldiers. We just had other priorities. And when we deployed no one wore patches anyway, so the people we were supporting 1) didn't know whether we were Ranger qualified, and 2) didn't care. All that mattered was how well we could do the job. At the end of the day those ODAs have PLENTY of people who can "Ranger." They need people who can <<<insert skilled support MOS here>>>.

5) I will never say that having a Ranger Tab doesn't matter, because it does. However, there are things that matter more. For me, it's always family first. No matter how good you are, no matter what you do in the Army, one day the Army will leave you, or you will leave it. However, if you do it right, your family will always be there for you. So my advice is to always prioritize family. But family and SOF are not always mutually exclusive. Communication and clear expectations are key. I suggest you figure out what works for your family, get REALLY good at your job, THEN worry about things like Ranger School.
I apologize if my desire for schools came across as prestige seeking. My goal first and foremost has always been to do the best job I can do. I’m not one to settle for the bare minimum. I’m always looking to learn and grow and fear being thought of as lazy or a shitbag. Regardless of what I end up doing, I will give it my all.

Back