31 Special Operations Forces troops killed in Afghanistan

I'm sure this is not the only event of this nature, but I just came across this: http://31heroes.com/

CrossFit gyms all over the country will be holding a "31 Heroes" workout on September 3rd in honor of these Warriors. It's $31 to register, and the money all goes to the Navy SEAL Foundation. I'm not sure how members of this board feel about such events, but I thought it worth posting. If this is deemed inappropriate, then my sincerest apologies.

From Fayetteville Observer:

A Fort Bragg airman was among those killed Saturday when a CH-7 Chinook was shot down in Afghanistan.
Air Force Tech Sgt. John W. Brown was a pararescueman with the 24th Special Tactics Squadron, an Air Force special operations unit based at Fort Bragg's Pope Field.
Brown has not been formally identified by the Department of Defense, but his mother, Elizabeth Herndon Newlun of Rogers, Ark., told The Associated Press that he was among the dead.
"I think I'm internally very upset, but at the same time, I'm so very proud of my son," Newlun told the AP. "I want to make sure that everyone knows that he's a hero. I can fall apart later."
Brown was part of a team that also included a group of Navy SEALS that had just helped rescue an Army Ranger unit before the helicopter was hit. The helicopter crashed about 60 miles southwest of Kabul, according to officials.
The Department of Defense said the crash would be investigated. Officials have previously said a rocket-propelled grenade shot down the Army helicopter.
Thirty U.S. servicemen were killed in the crash, including five aircrew and 25 members of U.S. Special Operations Command, according to the Department of Defense, which has not released the identities of anyone involved in the crash.
Eight Afghan commandos also were killed in what officials said was the largest loss of life in a single combat incident in Afghanistan.
Newlun told the AP that her son was a "gentle giant."
"He just loved anything physical, anything athletic," Newlun said. "If I wanted to have a conversation with him that was serious, I would have to shoot baskets with him. There's nothing athletic about me, but I realized that you have to get into other people's comfort zone to get information."
Following news of his death, Newlun has received an outpouring of sympathy on her Facebook page and thanked friends and family in a brief message posted to the site on Saturday.
"Thank you everyone for your prayers and words of comfort. I appreciate that people know that I lost a son today, my daughter-in-law Tabitha lost a husband and best friend, my sons lost a protective, caring and strong big brother, and you, lost a brave soldier who gave everything for the country he loved," she wrote.
Newlun told the AP that Brown played football and basketball in high school and went to John Brown University in northwestern Arkansas on a swimming scholarship.
She said her son wanted to go into the medical field but joined the military instead after seeing a video of a special tactical unit.
Woods was married but had no children, Newlun said. He will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery.
A spokeswoman for Air Force Special Operations Command said she could not confirm if any of the airmen killed Saturday were from the 24th Special Tactics Squadron, because the Department of Defense had not identified the servicemen. The spokesman said only that one combat controller and two pararescuemen died in the crash.

I'm sure this is not the only event of this nature, but I just came across this: http://31heroes.com/

CrossFit gyms all over the country will be holding a "31 Heroes" workout on September 3rd in honor of these Warriors. It's $31 to register, and the money all goes to the Navy SEAL Foundation. I'm not sure how members of this board feel about such events, but I thought it worth posting. If this is deemed inappropriate, then my sincerest apologies.
Considering 3 were Air Force, and 5 Army, not impressed. Maybe they should donate to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation instead.

Considering 3 were Air Force, and 5 Army, not impressed. Maybe they should donate to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation instead.

Even if the profits went to the SOWF, it wouldn't cover the air crew, as it was a regular army bird. Getting something to some of them is better than nothing to none of them.

Even if the profits went to the SOWF, it wouldn't cover the air crew, as it was a regular army bird. Getting something to some of them is better than nothing to none of them.
My understanding is Conventional Guys/Gals who die supporting a SOF mission are included, I could be wrong. Maybe our resident SOWF expert will chime in.

I don't disagree with you. I guess I saw the event and thought it as a way to give something back. Is it the best way this could be set up? No. It's better than nothing though, IMHO. I will be sending the event coordinator an e-mail and asking if she would consider changing it to a split charity event.

Follow up: Sent the lady an e-mail expressing the concern over the inordinate amount of attention given to the SEALs with the other servicemen killed being referred to as "other Americans". She agreed to talk it over with her team and see about reaching out to the SOWF.

I am watching the 'net to find dates and times of any local funerals or memorial services. Most are not posted yet and to date some families have chosen to be quiet about their loved one's names. I can't say as I blame then, even DoD has said they will not be posting the names.

That said, it looks like quite a few will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery. They may be private, it is unknown.

Here is one name and funeral arrangement. Side note: In fact, going to a wake together is how I met the lovely and kind Ex3). I can't imagine what the families are going through, so any local (within 500 miles) funeral that is open to the public is where I will be... giving my support.

Since this was published courtesy of the funeral home, I am assuming it is ok to post here. If not, those of you with deleting powers can delete it.

STAMFORD, Conn. — Preliminary funeral arrangements have been made for 31-year-old Navy SEAL Brian Bill, who was killed in action Aug. 6 in Afghanistan.​
Leo P. Gallagher & Son Funeral Home announced that a Mass will be celebrated at St. Cecilia’s Church in Stamford at a date to be announced. Interment will take place in Arlington National Cemetery.​

Yesterday a radio "talking head" was saying he'd be surprised if the guys responsible lived to see September; he may be correct.
He also said he thought the guys on the ground would be very aggressive in hunting the guys responsible down.
That's the best way to remember/honor those who died.

Back