Not Work Safe .

GWOT-E medal is for deploying in support of the war on terror.

GWOT-S medal is for "support" during the war on terror. It was basically an automatic ribbon award 30 days after training was complete for a while.

When I graduated basic in 2009, everyone had a three ribbon rack. Army Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, and the GWOT-S

Looks like to GWOTSMs to me...only one award is authorized last I knew.
Agree.....only one award was authorized. Maybe he is authorized the GWOTEM, but just fucked up his ribbon rack?

Title 32 - National Defense

Volume: 3Date: 2008-07-01Original Date: 2008-07-01Title: Section 578.32 - Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.Context: Title 32 - National Defense. Subtitle A - Department of Defense (Continued). CHAPTER V - DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY. SUBCHAPTER F - PERSONNEL. PART 578 - DECORATIONS, MEDALS, RIBBONS, AND SIMILAR DEVICES. - General.

§ 578.32Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.
(a) The Global War on Terrorism Service Medal (GWOTSM) was established by Executive Order 13289, March 12, 2003. It is authorized for award to members of the Armed Forces of the United States who have participated in or served in support of the Global War on Terrorism operations outside of the designated areas of eligibility defined in § 578.31 of this part, on or after September 11, 2001 to a future date to be determined. Operations approved for the GWOTSM are provided in paragraph (e) of this section.
(b) Procedures. (1) The Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff will designate approved operations on a case-by-case basis when requested by the Combatant Commanders.
(2) At the request of the Combatant Commander, the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff may approve specific efforts that are rendered by unit(s) or individual(s) that meet all other requirements for award of the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal however, are not issued specific orders for the approved operation(s).
(3) Battalion commanders and commanders of separate units have the authority to award the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal for approved operations to units and personnel within his or her command.
(c) Criteria. Service members must be assigned, attached; or mobilized to a unit supporting designated operations listed in § 578-31 of this part for 30 consecutive days or for 60 nonconsecutive days, or meet one of the following criteria:
(1) Initial award of the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal will be limited to airport security operations from September 27, 2001 through May 31, 2002 and service members who supported Operations NOBLE EAGLE, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM.
(2) All service members on active duty, including Reserve Components mobilized, or National Guardsmen activated on or after September 11, 2001 to a date to be determined having served 30 consecutive days or 60 nonconsecutive days are authorized the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.
(d) General. (1) The GWOTSM may be awarded posthumously.
(2) Service members may be awarded both the GWOTEM and the GWOTSM if they meet the requirements of both awards; however, the qualifying period used to establish eligibility for one cannot be used to justify eligibility for the other award.
(3) Order of Precedence. The GWOTSM will be worn directly below the GWOTEM and both shall directly follow the Kosovo Campaign Medal.
(4) Subsequent awards. Only one award of the GWOTSM may be authorized for any individual; therefore, an appurtenance (e.g., oak leaf cluster, bronze service star) is not authorized.
(e) Approved operations. Initial approved operations for the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal are Airport Security Operations from September 27, 2001 through May 31, 2002 and Operations NOBLE EAGLE, ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM.
(f) Description—(1) Ribbon. The dark red stripe denotes sacrifice. The gold stripes symbolize achievement. The blue stripes signify justice.
(2) Obverse. The obverse has a stylized globe, the universal symbol of the world. Surmounting the globe is six arrows exemplifying fighting power and readiness, also representing the area that terrorism is being fought; diplomatic, military, financial, intelligence, investigative and law enforcement. Below, a olive branch exemplifies peace and an oak branch emphasizing strength and protection.
(3) Reverse. The reverse is inscribed ‘FOR INTERNATIONAL RESPONSES AGAINST TERRORISM’ between three stars commemorate achievement and below the year ‘2002’.

Agree.....only one award was authorized. Maybe he is authorized the GWOTEM, but just fucked up his ribbon rack?

Title 32 - National Defense

Volume: 3Date: 2008-07-01Original Date: 2008-07-01Title: Section 578.32 - Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.Context: Title 32 - National Defense. Subtitle A - Department of Defense (Continued). CHAPTER V - DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY. SUBCHAPTER F - PERSONNEL. PART 578 - DECORATIONS, MEDALS, RIBBONS, AND SIMILAR DEVICES. - General.

§ 578.32Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.
(a) The Global War on Terrorism Service Medal (GWOTSM) was established by Executive Order 13289, March 12, 2003. It is authorized for award to members of the Armed Forces of the United States who have participated in or served in support of the Global War on Terrorism operations outside of the designated areas of eligibility defined in § 578.31 of this part, on or after September 11, 2001 to a future date to be determined. Operations approved for the GWOTSM are provided in paragraph (e) of this section.
(b) Procedures. (1) The Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff will designate approved operations on a case-by-case basis when requested by the Combatant Commanders.
(2) At the request of the Combatant Commander, the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff may approve specific efforts that are rendered by unit(s) or individual(s) that meet all other requirements for award of the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal however, are not issued specific orders for the approved operation(s).
(3) Battalion commanders and commanders of separate units have the authority to award the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal for approved operations to units and personnel within his or her command.
(c) Criteria. Service members must be assigned, attached; or mobilized to a unit supporting designated operations listed in § 578-31 of this part for 30 consecutive days or for 60 nonconsecutive days, or meet one of the following criteria:
(1) Initial award of the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal will be limited to airport security operations from September 27, 2001 through May 31, 2002 and service members who supported Operations NOBLE EAGLE, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM.
(2) All service members on active duty, including Reserve Components mobilized, or National Guardsmen activated on or after September 11, 2001 to a date to be determined having served 30 consecutive days or 60 nonconsecutive days are authorized the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.
(d) General. (1) The GWOTSM may be awarded posthumously.
(2) Service members may be awarded both the GWOTEM and the GWOTSM if they meet the requirements of both awards; however, the qualifying period used to establish eligibility for one cannot be used to justify eligibility for the other award.
(3) Order of Precedence. The GWOTSM will be worn directly below the GWOTEM and both shall directly follow the Kosovo Campaign Medal.
(4) Subsequent awards. Only one award of the GWOTSM may be authorized for any individual; therefore, an appurtenance (e.g., oak leaf cluster, bronze service star) is not authorized.
(e) Approved operations. Initial approved operations for the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal are Airport Security Operations from September 27, 2001 through May 31, 2002 and Operations NOBLE EAGLE, ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM.
(f) Description—(1) Ribbon. The dark red stripe denotes sacrifice. The gold stripes symbolize achievement. The blue stripes signify justice.
(2) Obverse. The obverse has a stylized globe, the universal symbol of the world. Surmounting the globe is six arrows exemplifying fighting power and readiness, also representing the area that terrorism is being fought; diplomatic, military, financial, intelligence, investigative and law enforcement. Below, a olive branch exemplifies peace and an oak branch emphasizing strength and protection.
(3) Reverse. The reverse is inscribed ‘FOR INTERNATIONAL RESPONSES AGAINST TERRORISM’ between three stars commemorate achievement and below the year ‘2002’.
Yea, and the lack of a sea service deployment ribbon also tells me that it’s not going to be a GWOT expeditionary.

I remember in the beginning of the WAR you could get 2 Ribbons for your First Deployment, GWOT-SM and GWOT-EM or The Campaign Ribbon from that AOR...but never all 3. On your next deployment you could get the third.

This site is awesome....it sent me down a rabbit hole searching for stuff cause my grey matter sucks. End state I couldn't find anything to back me up 100 %, but these seem to help:

Iraq Campaign Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal

:thumbsup:

His rack looks a bit jacked up to me.

I also love the Navy Comm but lack of anything else of significance. Fuckin' chief mafia. At least he has a couple warfare devices.
I said that the GWOTE and GWOTM are similar, but those look identical to me. Like, the same ribbon twice. I went and looked at mine, which I'm pretty sure are correct (I had an NCO check :) ) and they look pretty different.

Back