Not Work Safe .

It's why I never went to nursing school. I was not willing to be spoon fed shit that I did as an 18 year new line doc compared to now. I know ones gotta make their bones but the horror stories I heard from friends that made the RN leap are horrendous. I run into alot in the EDs, the want to run away. Lol. Not like 911 is better but the microcosm of fuck in hospital is nonsense. To each their own I suppose. More power to you bro.

I’ll push back on this. I learned plenty in nursing school I didn’t learn about in the army. I learned basically nothing about HF, CKD, DM, or many other chronic conditions.

I’ll push back on this. I learned plenty in nursing school I didn’t learn about in the army. I learned basically nothing about HF, CKD, DM, or many other chronic conditions.

It's not the learning. It's the stuff leading up to, teaching vitals, the games students need to go through, getting treated like kids, at least that's what I was told. I'm positive you learned stuff you didn't not know previously.

It's not the learning. It's the stuff leading up to, teaching vitals, the games students need to go through, getting treated like kids, at least that's what I was told. I'm positive you learned stuff you didn't not know previously.

The key demographic, the average age and experience, is different. Different for sure.

The key demographic, the average age and experience, is different. Different for sure.

That's what I heard. No doubt RNs learned a metric shit ton, many I know are absolute beasts with knowledge but most of them were A type EMS personalities, some with military experience, going into a field we are talking about. Maybe it was different for you and @TLDR but, I suppose those I know were used to automy with minimal supervision (obviously different jobs), who knows.

Now, doing nurse prac, nurse anesthetist, that stuff, he'll yeah that's cool. Even flying, sure.

Nowadays, there are plenty of programs that let you bypass all that. My program certainly did, there are lots of paramedic to RN ones that do the same.

I get it though, my ego initially kept me from going the route I did. I didn’t want to be an ass wiper after all I’d done. But for me Critical care was always a stepping stone. I had a goal and that was a requirement.

On Reddit, and Instagram, quite a few guys have reached out to me who are/were SOF medics who want to be CRnAs. For most, the idea of being “just” a nurse is a big enough turnoff to not make the leap. It is worth it though. In 7 months I will have basically the chillest job, making fantastic money, with an excellent work life balance. It took me almost 10 years of work, but it is happening…

Nowadays, there are plenty of programs that let you bypass all that. My program certainly did, there are lots of paramedic to RN ones that do the same.

I get it though, my ego initially kept me from going the route I did. I didn’t want to be an ass wiper after all I’d done. But for me Critical care was always a stepping stone. I had a goal and that was a requirement.

On Reddit, and Instagram, quite a few guys have reached out to me who are/were SOF medics who want to be CRnAs. For most, the idea of being “just” a nurse is a big enough turnoff to not make the leap. It is worth it though. In 7 months I will have basically the chillest job, making fantastic money, with an excellent work life balance. It took me almost 10 years of work, but it is happening…

That's good to know, never looked into it, glad it will work out like you wanted.

It's why I never went to nursing school. I was not willing to be spoon fed shit that I did as an 18 year new line doc compared to now.

DevilDoc:
"I went for two reasons: pay and job choice. For those reasons I don't regret it....Nursing school is a series of hoops in which to jump through, and for 18 year olds with zero experience they need to be spoon-fed. That's still the case in 90% of schools, but now there are some that will factor military or EMS experience and customize the experience... There are a lot of things I miss about EMS, I miss doing a lot of skills that I could not do as a nurse (Just like I miss a lot of the skills I did in the military that I could not do as a civilian medic). I miss having a partner, I miss being on a bus for 12 hours and that camaraderie , I miss being on the street (sometimes)."

Yes, I am in an advanced (slightly) program for LPNs, Paras, and military medics. I'm years removed from any real medical experience but feel good for being given the opportunity.

Yeah well, if you want to go and make 200k a year starting hit me up and we’ll get you into CRNA school.

Yes. I am up to the challenge. My grades need to come up a little to be competitive though. No excuses.

I get it though, my ego initially kept me from going the route I did. I didn’t want to be an ass wiper after all I’d done. But for me Critical care was always a stepping stone. I had a goal and that was a requirement....

I plan on going for an ED or ICU job at graduation (nights of course). It's an ADN program now, not because couldn't get into a accelerated BSN but because this will cost me about 5-6k, then start working, then get the BSN finished around 10k or free. Accelerated BSN programs near me are 55-60K, and I'm all out of GI Bill and Voc Rehab.

Last edited:
I went for two reasons: pay and job choice. For those reasons I don't regret it.

Yes, I am in an advanced (slightly) program for LPNs, Paras, and military medics. I'm years removed from any real medical experience but feel good for being given the opportunity.

Yes. I am up to the challenge. My grades need to come up a little to be competitive though. No excuses.

I plan on going for an ED or ICU job at graduation (nights of course). It's an ADN program now, not because couldn't get into a accelerated BSN but because this will cost me about 5-6k, then start working, then get the BSN finished around 10k or free. Accelerated BSN programs near me are 55-60K, and I'm all out of GI Bill and Voc Rehab.

Get some brother

Back