Not Work Safe .

My son’s Little League coach called soccer players “Grass Fairies.”

When my son played college ball he and some other athletes from some of the university’s other teams were ask to appear in a video supporting LGBT rights. He refused. He said, that’s not me, get somebody else. And he was the captain of UMass Lowell’s Division One baseball team.

This guy has been crucified in social media, but his jersey sold out at the NHL shop. The people bitching about him are in the minority.

First, I am very sorry to hear that. I am particularly sensitive to this subject. One man's loss diminishes me....

Second, nursing school be like that: we had, what, 70? 75? Three dudes, two of us were mil/former mil.

Current nursing student and my face looks just like this dude's during lab and lecture.

RIP

Current nursing student and my face looks just like this dude's during lab and lecture.

RIP

It's why I never went to nursing school. I was not willing to be spoon fed shit that I did as an 18 year new line doc compared to now. I know ones gotta make their bones but the horror stories I heard from friends that made the RN leap are horrendous. I run into alot in the EDs, the want to run away. Lol. Not like 911 is better but the microcosm of fuck in hospital is nonsense. To each their own I suppose. More power to you bro.

It's why I never went to nursing school. I was not willing to be spoon fed shit that I did as an 18 year new line doc compared to now. I know ones gotta make their bones but the horror stories I heard from friends that made the RN leap are horrendous. I run into alot in the EDs, the want to run away. Lol. Not like 911 is better but the microcosm of fuck in hospital is nonsense. To each their own I suppose. More power to you bro.

I went for two reasons: pay and job choice. For those reasons I don't regret it.

Nursing school is a series of hoops in which to jump through, and for 18 year olds with zero experience they need to be spoon-fed. That's still the case in 90% of schools, but now there are some that will factor military or EMS experience and customize the experience @TLDR20 .

I will say that I was fortunate in that most of my instructors leveraged the experience that some of us had as their assistants or clinical group leaders, and minimized the BS.

I'll say there is a lot more politics and gameplay on a unit and in the hospital then there is in a bus or on an EMS shift. Plus the field is still 90% women which adds its own set of challenges.

It's a mixed bag for sure. There are a lot of things I miss about EMS, I miss doing a lot of skills that I could not do as a nurse (Just like I miss a lot of the skills I did in the military that I could not do as a civilian medic). I miss having a partner, I miss being on a bus for 12 hours and that camaraderie , I miss being on the street (sometimes).

Back