75th Ranger Regiment from National Guard.

I cannot speak in regard to going to RASP from NG, but I can say my best bud is coming back from Afghanistan with an NG unit and has been fighting tooth and nail to get out of the NG contract and into an Active Duty contract. They are simply saying no, which from what he has told me, they hold the right to do so.

Per previous responses, I would recommend skipping the NG route and controlling your own destiny with coming to the AD side. When I went through basic, they handed out Opt. 40 contracts to anyone who would provide a signature and had a 240 PT score. Best of luck, and enjoy college. Some of my best memories are from college.

You make a good point. Thanks, man. I appreciate your input.

Some people argue that getting a conditional release is doable and fairly easy...perhaps they just lucked out with their unit and CO.

I just ETS'd from the NG and have been working towards an 18x contract. The recruiters keep trying to persuade me into 11xopt40. I can't speak for the future, but as of now it appears they are trying to push viable candidates into 11xopt40.

In regards to the NG giving you a conditional release. Don't count on it. I dropped my first conditional release packet 3 years into my 6 years contract and got denied. I put my second conditional release packet in when I had 6 months left on a one year extension. (No bonuses, no SLRP, I owed nothing except 6 months) They still gave me a fat NO. This is just my personal experience, I believe it varies from state to state.

I suggest finishing school then going straight into AD. Again, this is just my personal experience, I'm no recruiter nor have I ever attempted to get into RR.

/885

This is basically what I wanted to know when I initially started this thread. So, from your experience it looks like they are allowing NG prior service to pursue Option 40 contracts as of right now? Hmmmm. Looks like my timing is a bit off since I still have two years of college and can't go AD right now since I would like to graduate first.

Most people have said that if I want to go Option 40 for RR, I should just wait and go AD from the ground. You included. That looks like the best way forward...

Sheesh. Well, it sounds like conditional releases from the NG are a huge gamble...

So, just out of curiosity...why do you not want to go AD on an Option 40? xD

This is basically what I wanted to know when I initially started this thread. So, from your experience it looks like they are allowing NG prior service to pursue Option 40 contracts as of right now? Hmmmm. Looks like my timing is a bit off since I still have two years of college and can't go AD right now since I would like to graduate first.

Most people have said that if I want to go Option 40 for RR, I should just wait and go AD from the ground. You included. That looks like the best way forward...

Sheesh. Well, it sounds like conditional releases from the NG are a huge gamble...

So, just out of curiosity...why do you not want to go AD on an Option 40? xD

I dropped my 2nd conditional release this past March. At that time the only MOS's for opt40 were cooks and fuelers. That's what i was told at least. He said 11xopt40 is all day long right now until about the end of the calendar year.

Oh boy, the reason I want 18x over 11xopt40. It's very simple and quite complicated. I'm choosing 18x because it's my dream.

Edit: when your time comes to walk into the recruiters office, know what you want and stick to your guns. I've been playing the dog and pony show the entire time I've been trying to secure my contract. Tell them what you want and dont budge. Sooner or later it will be a viable option.

I dropped my 2nd conditional release this past March. At that time the only MOS's for opt40 were cooks and fuelers. That's what i was told at least. He said 11xopt40 is all day long right now until about the end of the calendar year.

Oh boy, the reason I want 18x over 11xopt40. It's very simple and quite complicated. I'm choosing 18x because it's my dream.

Edit: when your time comes to walk into the recruiters office, know what you want and stick to your guns. I've been playing the dog and pony show the entire time I've been trying to secure my contract. Tell them what you want and dont budge. Sooner or later it will be a viable option.

@EightEightFive Well, I want infantry or a medic spot with Opt 40. The answers on this thread have got me thinking to just wait to enlist after graduating from college. So, we'll see. NG idea was mainly for experience and extra income while in college but those factors are probably not worth losing the chance of an Opt 40 over.

I got you fam! I was just curious, haha. Well, let me know when you get that 18x 8-)8-)8-)

Thanks, man. I will do that for sure. RR is something I will fight for, no alternatives!

Back