Accidental Discharge — Results!

Trip_Wire

Special Forces
Rest In Peace
A .45 caliber*round makes a pretty big hole, I can just imagine how the conversation went:*

"Dude, check out my new .45 , it has a really great trigger pull"........nice squeeze ............BANG!!!! ...........OH SHIT..........OUCH!"

Off to Walmart for some new shoes, socks, first aid supplies....and a book on how to handle handguns..

Attachments

• Unknown-1.jpeg
    Unknown-1.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Unknown-2.jpeg
    Unknown-2.jpeg
    20.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Unknown-3.jpeg
    Unknown-3.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 36
OUCH!!!! I know a guy who shot himself in the foot while duck hunting!!! But it was a 12 ga.

Yeah we had an idiot as well...while we were shooting, he decided to bring his rifle down to far, finger on the trigger, safety off...ended up shooting himself though the shin and blowing out all the muscles on the back of his leg. Now the government pays him disability.

Where did you find these pics Trip ???

If had done that the only person that would have known was the ER staff, and I guess the county Sherriff. :uhh:

Probably his first handgun, especially a 1911. What a dumbass.

The gf's folks live out in the country so when I want to shoot I usually just go out to their place. Back when I first got the Kimber my gf's dad came out to check it out and pretty soon had busted open his gun cabinet. The girls (my gf and his wife) decided to get in on the action and pretty soon we'd all just started to plinking with his 10/22. (Great/fun gun btw.)

I got done knocking some can's around and asked my gf's mom if she wanted to shoot. Presumably she had shot before (she said she had), so I put the rifle on safe and handed it over. She went to fire off a shot and nothing happened. Safety was on.

She lowered the rifle to a Rambo-from-the-hip position and turned to say it wouldn't shoot. gf's dad walked up next to her and I said, "I put the safety on." She couldn't find the safety, (umm...) so he pushed it over, and she instantly fired off a shot. Her finger was pulling on the trigger the whole time.

Thankfully it wasn't pointed at anyone but she actually gave me the stink eye for handing her a safe weapon! It took every ounce of restraint I had not to fly off the handle to begin with but when the gf's dad handed me back my Kimber later with the slide still forward (at least one in the pipe) and the safety down, I pointed out the error and called it a day.

In hindsight I realize I'm just as at fault for the lack of safety b/c I failed to watch what they where doing, but I say all that to get to this, while owning a firearm is a right (and one I'm always happy to see others exercise), there are some extremely gun dumb people out there. Stay safe.

Interesting thing - unless the pic of the foot is over a week old (not likely, no bruising, edges have not started granulating, bone still glossy - possible traumatic constriction...) - there is surprisingly little blood in a very vascular area- note that the boot is not soaked in blood either. My guess is: This guy is going to lose at least one, possibly two toes due to a compromised peripheral circulation - there is probaly more damage than is apparent due to the contained shock of a medium/large caliber bullet with a large amount of its kinetic energy at close range... guy could end up losing a good portion of his foot.

Darwin is definitely chasing this guy...

I have no idea what type of bullet that was used. The Pics were sent to me in an e-mail, from a friend who is still an active LEO.

In Korea, a few people shot themselves in the foot, to get off the line. Many used their M-1 Garand. If they took the big toe off (Which usually happened.) they lost their ability to balance. Others let their feet freeze, until they started CM's for letting that happen. Loss of big toe same result.

The AD waiting to happen by people fitting every stereotype of white trash:

[YOUTUBE]rmUXRX2lVd4&eurl[/YOUTUBE]

I got in a big argument with the guy who instructed our CCW class over what I refer to as negligent discharges.

He said, "If you shoot enough, you WILL have an AD."

I said, "There is absolutely zero reason for a negligent discharge. I can't believe you're telling this class "they WILL have one."

He goes, "I speak from experience."

I was speechless. A rarity, indeed.:rolleyes:

I got in a big argument with the guy who instructed our CCW class over what I refer to as negligent discharges.

I said, "There is absolutely zero reason for a negligent discharge. I can't believe you're telling this class "they WILL have one."

You get a refund?

It's funny, the only AD I was ever involved in (not directly!) was between two of the most experienced shooters I know. I think there is a curve, where your new shooters (due to lack of knowledge/experience) and your most experienced shooters (due to lack of fear/respect) have the ADs. Most of your intermediate types have the knowledge, respect, and healthy fear to avoid ADs. A generalization of course, but that's my overall impression. Once you lose that respect and healthy fear of firearms, it's just a matter of time, although that's some really poor advice to give to a class of people :2c:

Huh I have always told my classes that if anyone who has an AD/ND it is an automatic failure of the class and you will be told to leave...

I'm sure he didn't mean during the class, but over their life time of firearms ownership per se. Dusty can correct me of I am wrong. I don't know of any instructor who would not give a person the boot for an AD during the course. We had someone who almost had an AD (didn't because the SO caught it in time) at an IDPA match not long ago, and he was DQd and asked to leave.

I'm sure he didn't mean during the class, but over their life time of firearms ownership per se. Dusty can correct me of I am wrong. I don't know of any instructor who would not give a person the boot for an AD during the course. We had someone who almost had an AD (didn't because the SO caught it in time) at an IDPA match not long ago, and he was DQd and asked to leave.

I had an AD/ ND with a 240B while on patrol in Baghdad, all 200 rounds. But they did not kick me out of theater for it. :(

Of course the 240B safety had failed from cum-buckets half cocking the damn thing…… :uhh: Needless to say I did not give my gunner a break for the rest of the deployment…

Back