Alec Baldwin Trial

I searched for an already existing thread on this. Couldn't find anything.
This is pretty interesting. The process of Justice is being set in motion for Alec Baldwin. Personally, this should have been happening already.

Breaking: Attorney General Announces Charges for Alec Baldwin in Death of Halyna Hutchins
Charged is one thing, conviction is another. Hopefully the justice system will do its thing and somebody will be held accountable. I hear they are going to finish shooting the movie? I like westerns, and although he's a jackass of a human, I think Baldwin is a fair actor. I'll still watch the movie, but it'll be weird.

This is my sarcastically shocked face…
Eek

Charges against Alec Baldwin dropped in fatal ‘Rust’ shooting, attorneys say

Charges have been dropped against Alec Baldwin in the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of his Western movie "Rust," his lawyers said Thursday.

“We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident,” according to a joint statement by Baldwin's lawyers Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro.

This is my sarcastically shocked face…
Eek

Charges against Alec Baldwin dropped in fatal ‘Rust’ shooting, attorneys say

Charges have been dropped against Alec Baldwin in the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of his Western movie "Rust," his lawyers said Thursday.

“We are pleased with the decision to dismiss the case against Alec Baldwin and we encourage a proper investigation into the facts and circumstances of this tragic accident,” according to a joint statement by Baldwin's lawyers Luke Nikas and Alex Spiro.
Maybe this deserves a thread of its own for future discussions…

Alec Baldwin Indicted on Manslaughter Charge in ‘Rust’ Shooting

IMG_3100.jpeg

The defense will have a field day with this.

Two special prosecutors, Kari Morrissey and Jason Lewis, sent the gun for further forensic testing last summer. Their experts, Lucien and Michael Haag, reconstructed the gun — which had been broken during FBI testing — and concluded that it could only have been fired by a pull of the trigger.

I think a case could be made for negligence, but manslaughter? Yeah I'd probably take my chances on that one at trial.

I'll add, I didn't look up the law for that state, so I'm not sure if there are degrees involved or other mitigating factors that make it more plausible for conviction. I also don't know if juries are allowed to consider lesser charges or only the one presented in that state either.

Most DA roles are elected and not appointed, so there may simply be a political motivation to this as well.

I think he bears some responsibility, but from my limited understanding of what a manslaughter charge entails this seems excessive.

"Involuntary manslaughter, on the other hand, consists of a killing that was unintentional, resulting from either recklessness or criminal negligence."

- fourth-degree felony punishable by up to 18 months in prison and up to $5,000 in fines

https://www.findlaw.com/state/new-mexico-law/new-mexico-involuntary-manslaughter-law.html

I always understood a charge of Negligent Homicide to require Criminal negligence...while Involuntary Manslaughter was the result of recklessness.

I think pointing a gun at someone and pulling the trigger could be considered reckless. But I doubt prosecutors will get a conviction.

Armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was sentenced to 18 months in prison today.

https://www.kob.com/new-mexico...18-months-in-prison/

"You were the armorer, the one that's to be between a safe weapon and a weapon that could kill someone. You alone turned a safe weapon into a lethal weapon. But for you, Mrs. Hutchins would be alive, a husband would have his partner and a little boy would have his mother. Please take her." - Judge Mary Marlowe Sommer

Does this give Baldwin his out?

Does this give Baldwin his out?
IMHO, no...perhaps it's my personal bias, but if you take a weapon in your hands, you are responsible for whatever come out of the barrel...the armorer did not pull the trigger...Baldwin screwed up on several levels...no checking the ammunition, not checking where the muzzle was pointed, pulling the trigger with someone in sight that he didn't plan to shoot...he should get the same sentence the armorer did...IMHO...

Back