All Things MMA, Judo, Sumo

This popped up in my feed today; I remember watching it on PPV.

I was tired of Rousey the moment she got on scene and everything I remember leading up to this fight reminded me of Rocky 3. Holly was hungry…Rhonda was enjoying the fame. I “think” this was around the time she was doing nude (painted swimsuits) on the cover of Sports Illustrated while Holly was training like Clubber Lang.

I know we have a handful of folks on here who do (practice?) martial arts in some form. @amlove21 , @Cookie_ , and a couple others I believe. I have been doing BJJ and judo for 3 months and aside from a couple broken fingers have really enjoyed it.

Enter a new passion. Sumo. At last night's judo class we had a guest instructor, men's national champion (light heavyweight) Eric Huynh. He gave us the foundation and basics. Basically a combo of judo, grappling, and wrestling, it's a growing sport in the US and the organization which oversees it is trying to get it an Olympic sport. All of my misconceptions about a couple morbidly obese men using egregious body fat to simply knock the opponent out of the ring was shattered. I am hoping to learn more.

Who else does MA of some type, which type, and for how long?

Bro, sumo sounds awesome.

Also, just like Judo, it's basically me impacting the mats at high rates of speed 100 times a night for 3-5 times a week and I cannot get there lol.

Fun story; I went to my normal no-gi yesterday morning, and had completely forgotten that I committed to my friend's gym "10 Rounds on the 10th" event. It's exactly what it sounds like- light warm up, then 10 full-speed rounds on the 10th of every month. Pretty fun.

Well, of course, the morning class was intense as crap for whatever reason, and then I ended my day with 10 full-speed rounds in the Gi.

I tell you all this to say- I am old. I feel old. I have 4 more training sessions this week, which doesn't include my normal strength and conditioning programming.

Also, as a plug of sorts- I have been testing out my good friend's Ketllebell for BJJ program- and it is awesome. I can definitely feel my game improving, I am doing a lot of stuff/movements I don't normally do, great app integration, personalized coaching. If you fellas want a discount, let me know.

@amlove21 ,

I lol'd about the impacting the mats comment. I am finding that some of the strictly BJJ guys who are fearless on the ground almost panic when we start standing. And if those of us who do both disciplines are rolling? Yeah, BJJ-only guys don't like the throws.

Ten full-speed arounds back-to-back-to-back....yeah, that's fun stuff. After about five I am done. Spent. Kaput.

I do three classes a week (BJJ fundamentals/gi, BJJ intermed/adv no go, judo), but will soon add the 0600 rolling sessions once or twice a week. They are starting a Sunday sumo training, but I am afraid to ask my wife for the time away lol

The KB/BJJ program looks great. What do you do that is different from other KB workouts that makes it more applicable to BJJ?

I'm a BJJ guy as well. I'm just getting back to training after taking the winter season off for another activity. Kind of like amlove's experience, I realized very quickly how out of shape I really am; it happens fast. Before my winter break, I was training 4 - 5 days a week and registered for a couple tournaments. My first day back after winter, I went to class at the end of the week when we basically roll for an hour (6 min rounds with 2 min break). I was literally dry heaving over the trash can a little more than 1/2 through the session...that's friggin' embarrassing. But I own it. I need to get back in shape and get to the gym 3 -5 time a week again. I love it, even though I suck.

p.s. Throwing is fun. Getting thrown, not so much...same with takedowns.

This popped up in my feed today; I remember watching it on PPV.

I was tired of Rousey the moment she got on scene and everything I remember leading up to this fight reminded me of Rocky 3. Holly was hungry…Rhonda was enjoying the fame. I “think” this was around the time she was doing nude (painted swimsuits) on the cover of Sports Illustrated while Holly was training like Clubber Lang.

I do recall this! (and also realized in hindsight you were comparing her to Mr. T's character rather than Carl Weathers' - and I agree with you!)
With the hype and especially after weigh-ins, I'm seeing a lot less Clubber Lang and much more of this:
i4gj2Gm.png

A couple things.

First, I think I am going to start MMA lessons. I used to box, so what I miss with BJJ and judo is the striking. Y'all pray for me.

Second, if and of you know any veterans who are struggling with community, in a rut, not grounded, there is a great organization called Veteran Bushido Brotherhood, founded by a former Marine who will pay for the first 3 months of BJJ (or a few other things) plus gear to get that guy/gal focused, in community, and moving in a positive direction. @amlove21 is also in the know. If you or any vet you know would benefit, look this up or contact me.

A couple things.

First, I think I am going to start MMA lessons. I used to box, so what I miss with BJJ and judo is the striking. Y'all pray for me.

Second, if and of you know any veterans who are struggling with community, in a rut, not grounded, there is a great organization called Veteran Bushido Brotherhood, founded by a former Marine who will pay for the first 3 months of BJJ (or a few other things) plus gear to get that guy/gal focused, in community, and moving in a positive direction. @amlove21 is also in the know. If you or any vet you know would benefit, look this up or contact me.
Damn, bro, you're a glutton for punishment. Good on you!

Striking became less appealing for me as I got...umm, "wiser"...I'm sore enough after a session of rolling.🤣 That said, there are times it would still be fun to spar.

Damn, bro, you're a glutton for punishment. Good on you!

Striking became less appealing for me as I got...umm, "wiser"...I'm sore enough after a session of rolling.🤣 That said, there are times it would still be fun to spar.

After 5 months of BJJ/judo, I still want to lead with my left foot instead of my 'strong side' foot. One of the instructors said "yeah, that's because you want to beat the hell out your opponent." Hard to un-do that. And my hands still reflexively come to my jaws. So I figured give it a go.

A couple things.

Jeric Fry over at Veteran Bushido is an awesome dude. I will throw his podcast over in the podcast thread. If you guys are interested, let me know and I can hook you up.

Back