An Elite Infantry

Honestly I think the joint force is most interested in our combat support because of capacity shortfalls in high demand/low density fields. The "every Marine a rifleman" ethos produces a unique kind of support Marine who is motivated, disciplined, and expeditionary.

I love the infantry but we can only do so much without more armor and mechanized vehicles in a high intensity conflict. I have argued before that the Marine Corps should drop our tank battalions and form partnerships with Army units similar to the Royal Marine model. The British Army has attached armor and cavalry units to the Royal Marines.

I've always thought it was speed and versatility. A MAGTF can be moving with a wide-array of capabilities in a very short time. It's interesting though because the GCCs most frequently have the say on what capability they want - so aren't necessarily looking at it the same way as the joint staff.

I've always liked Marines, in this pissing contest, I think the idea is can you develop an elite infantry model that can be established over time that is larger than a Brigade sized element. Or even a battalion sized element. When I was an augment OC at NTC I was on Spartan Team (SOC OCs), there was some issue after having trained Ranger Regiment OC/Ts they still needed OC/Ts on the ground that were directly responsible to the COG. So they threw the team together.

During that time I did not see the 3rd RGR BN do a full battalion movement, but I followed a company over a long period of time and the amount of resources dedicated to a Ranger Company is immense. The amount of gun time, and maneuver time, and Lift dedicated to training for an NTC or JRTC rotation but doesn't even build to a deployment is well over what was dedicated to entire brigades in 1AD.

Regular army units are stuck with Red Cycle, White Cycle, SGM Details that never end.

When it comes to Esprit De Corps, I don't think the Corps has reinvented itself. It has stayed on Message with Violence, the ads are the same, slogans are the same, dress uniforms are the same, they still drill well on parade field.

The Army changes it's slogan every day and every new SMA is mucking around with uniforms. All of that leads into the tip of the spear.

I am biased, being a former medic for Airborne Infantry. I loved my time there and most of the brothers were motivated hard dicks. With that said, I personally saw Infantry Marines when we jumped into Lejeune one year and they seemed hard as fuck, squared away, especially when we had grub. The amount of crayons and elmers glue consumed was staggering! :p:D

M.

When it comes to Esprit De Corps, I don't think the Corps has reinvented itself. It has stayed on Message with Violence, the ads are the same, slogans are the same, dress uniforms are the same, they still drill well on parade field.

With regard to Esprit de Corps and image, no, the Corps has not reinvented itself. As far as missions, they have had to. Not too many amphibious assaults going on these days.

I am biased, being a former medic for Airborne Infantry. I loved my time there and most of the brothers were motivated hard dicks. With that said, I personally saw Infantry Marines when we jumped into Lejeune one year and they seemed hard as fuck, squared away, especially when we had grub. The amount of crayons and elmers glue consumed was staggering! :p:D

M.

Jump out of plane. Eat krayon with mureen.

Y'know, now that you mention it, @Muppet, I'd probably equate Marine infantry on par with Airborne troops. Obviously we go in heavier, but man for man, rifle to rifle I think the two are made from much of the same clay. Except for the jumping out of perfectly functional aircraft part.

My Bn spent several months deployed with 82nd guys down at Homestead where we tried to out badass each other every day and nobody stayed King of the Mountain for long. Like I said, a lot of similarities re motivation, self confidence & fighting skills.

I think instead of dick measuring contests of physical training, one should contemplate the customs and more importantly, the words. Letherneks and bootnecks. Eternally at odds? Or best frenimies.

As for you spitfire that’s pretty homosocial, posting that UK article unsolicited. Erotic, even. DADT’s been repealed, I suppose. I’m aware that both NZ and the United States broadcast medical advertising, yet not of watershed moments and your nations relation to the crown.

Perhaps you can enlighten me? Go All Blacks.

Ooh rah, motivator! Badass rolling, or badass like how much c4 can you expend as coffee warmer?
Both probably. Respect to the Screaming Eagles! And the one oh one et al

I think instead of dick measuring contests of physical training, one should contemplate the customs and more importantly, the words. Letherneks and bootnecks. Eternally at odds? Or best frenimies.

As for you spitfire that’s pretty homosocial, posting that UK article unsolicited. Erotic, even. DADT’s been repealed, I suppose. I’m aware that both NZ and the United States broadcast medical advertising, yet not of watershed moments and your nations relation to the crown.

Perhaps you can enlighten me? Go All Blacks.

The Royal Marines had already been discussed. The rest of your post is a nonsense.

I loved every day as a Marine, still somewhat tickled thinking about it. I was at an appointment at the VA was on my way visiting AW2 saw a Korean era man coming down the hall cutting up being loud turned to his nurse pushing his wheel chair "I was a Marine. Fought in Korea. How I managed to make it this far, I dunno." What he was told I didn't hear. He was being pushed into Lab area.

Thought to myself, because God didn't say you could die yet. That's what I would have wanted to hear.

Others I've seen or heard tell their wives in profound amazement "I was a Marine, served _____ did _____."
Semper Fidelis. The few, the proud..

I'll try not to confuse confidence with arrogance while I'm here then, yes?
I’m new to forums. Thank you for the instruction. Don’t confuse elegance with nonsense

Good morning @Bob Black , I don't even have my first cup of coffee injected yet and I'm drawn to your post. One problem with the internet (among many) is that until someone gets to know someone a bit, it is difficult to tell if they are being slyly sarcastic or trying to come across as a bit of a dick.

At this point either one is fine with me, but since your post gave me pause, I thought I'd point that out before it escalated into something you did not intend.

If you haven't yet, check out this post. A Protocol Primer for ShadowSpear
Highly recommended reading for all; and especially the recent group of new members who have joined.

No response needed or required - just a friendly observation.

yes. :) that’s the first emoji I’ve used in years, I’m trying to follow the advice given by the site. No hard feeling. It’s rudimentary but I’m just now contemplating Poe’s law

Superior in that no active duty Marine infantry officer has pledged allegiance to a faceless communist cabal to destroy our nation?

My point was that we claim that we are elite but personally I think that's internal propaganda. I do believe that the Marine Corps infantry is a unique organization in several very positive ways. The Army had several excellent infantry divisions, but you can't tell me that 3rd ID is equal to 10th Mountain or the 82nd Airborne. Marine Corps infantry units vary in quality somewhat (in direct proportion to the quality of their commanders) but they are largely all the same. It helps to be a small agile force.

The 10th, 82nd, and 3rd have an entirely different METL. The 3rd ID is a great division, very good at what they do. They can do what the 82nd can't, vice versa. Can't compare.

Back