Army Chief of Staff: "Prevent, Shape, Win."

FID is part of UW and CF doesn't do UW well.

It was my understanding (and I don’t know much about it at all) that UW was the building of an insurgency force to over throw an oppressive government, not to build a government’s strength and security? How is FID a part of UW? I mean I get that FID is one of SF’s core missions, just like UW. But I don’t see how the two are part of each other, more so the exact opposite, at least I would have thought.

It appears that I mistated UW and should have written Irregular Warfare (IW), an overly broad idea.

Jab,
One could argue that FID vs UW could be simplified by perspective. Sep 01, SOF began to advise Northern Alliance forces (viewed by the Afghan government as hostile) and later began to advise ANA (viewed by Afghan government as friendly). I suppose the definition is dependent upon how the invitation to the party is written, just as you state above.

I consider a JCET to be FID whereas an exchange (i.e. CF unit going to build schools in an African country or teach marksmanship) is not. I suppose the bottom line is that EVERY SF soldier is a NCO teacher fluent in a foreign language and capable of living (thriving) in almost unthinkable conditions AND teaching basic soldiering to any fighter worldwide.

The same cannot be said for all CF NCOs. I think we're saying the same thing just differently. Another aspect (cannot remember the source) is that in FID, the SOF does the heavy lifting but HN government gets the credit.

CF will always be involved in FID, as they always have been. My only experience with FID was the training, leading and advising of the ING during 2004-2005 and some work I did with the Joint Military Skills Center. From that experience I found several aspects that hindered my ability to be effective in training foreign soldiers (language, culture awareness and knowledge, and most of all patients). These are all aspects that are very important for teaching soldiers from other nations and are skills a lot of the NCO’s in the CF do not possess. Another big issue is being skillful in teaching, which requires expert knowledge and the ability to transfer that knowledge to other effectively. Again this is something a majority of the CF NCO’s are lacking, IMHO.​
However, SF focuses on the skills sets, and I believe that makes them more qualified and effective in the FID mission. That doesn’t mean that CF should not be involved in FID or that they cannot conduct FID missions. It means that if CF is going to continue in conducting FID, then they should be more selective of the personnel they use and they should develop those individuals in the skills needed to be successful in that mission. Does that mean they need to go through SFAS and the Q course to do FID? No, but I think SF could really be helpful in developing a course for CF soldiers who will be conducting FID.​
Just my $0.02​

For us FID being conducted by CF is the norm. When a "friendly nation" needs trainers we send in some SNCOs and a Maj from the Combat School or one of the Battalions. Now if its a bunch of Ibans in the middle of nowhere to be trained for an insurgency we send in the SAS because thats what they do. Also we only have the SAS/Cdos and they are busy with other stuff, someone else has to fill that gap.

To get to SNCO with us you normally need to be one hell of an instructor and do time at one of the schools or training establishments. The joy of being small is you can demand that. In terms of differences in training I'm not going to go there because it becomes a pissing contest but our career progression is a lot different to the US Army. There is a lot of boxes to tick before anyone will let you loose with a rifle section. This doesn't mean we always get it right but it does give us a very good idea of what we are getting in a commander. Our Section Commanders course (E5) is very similar to the patrolling phase of Ranger school and the tempo is almost on par. We give a bit more time for mission analysis to be conducted because we emphasise planning and MAP. Theres also JNCO course before you get there which is more about drill in my eyes but brings even our Pogues up to the point where they can lead a section attack.

Platoon commanders is the same and is a requirement for all our NCOs to go through and they are tested the same as our Lts are.

As to Joe Snuffy not being trusted to work outside the box, to me thats abysmal.

JAB, refer back to when surgicalcric said "CF, when tasked, deploys to train HN personnel, period. SF, when tasked, deploys to do X through FID. There are more differences than similarities in the two but we cannot delve into them without violating aspects of mission security."

If you don't know what he is referring to, you don't need to know. However, saying CF can perform the "SF mission" is laughable. This mindset is due to ignorance (and some professional jealousy) on behalf of senior CF personnel.

Yes, CF can train foreign troops. Teaching BRM and small unit tactics to indig troops can be challenging, but most competent soldiers can do it. There are other things at work, and getting into the mindset that big Army can do what SF can do is the wrong way to think. Unfortunately, very few people in the CF food chain need to be privy to why that is, so this mindset continues to permeate.

I get that there is overt and covert aspects to Foreign Internal Defense (FID), but I think some of you are trying to talk it up a bit much. FID is a part of a National Assistance Program (NA) as well as Humanitarian and Civic Assistance (HCA), and Security Assistance (SA). All three are applied as part of a NA program and are normally under “peace time” circumstances (but can also be conducted by combat forces during ongoing combat operations, such as in Iraq & Afghanistan). NA programs can either be overt with large scale CIV & MIL aid, large media coverage in the aspect of “hey world we are helping this country”. Or NA programs can be more covert (not going to get into details, but most of you know what I am talking about), which would fall into the SOF side of the house. NA programs are not simply a MIL mission, they are not simply SOF or CF, they are a combination of all, or sometimes just one or two, etc.

FID = major military to military advisory effort under National Assistance.
Defined by the US Joint Military as: FID is “participation by civilian and military agencies of a government in any of the action programs taken by another government or other designated organization to free and protect its society from subversion, lawlessness, and insurgency.”

SA=include all the same aspects of FID, but also include Foreign Military Sales (FMS), Foreign Military Financing Program (FMFP), and the International Military Education and Training (IMET).The key difference between SA and FID, is that SA cannot involve actual combat.

HCA=is more of the large scale operation that include cross training, civic stability operation and deal primarily with host nations with a pre-developed military, security forces, civil authorities. But this type of assistances is normally to build national friendships or to assist during a time of national crises (i.e. such as seen in Haiti and most recently in Japan).

All three are aspects of National Assistance (NA) and all three can and are conducted by SOF and CF. SOF obviously has FID as one of their core tasks, there for they are better trained in such and have better success in such. However, CF has been involved in FID operation (along with all types of NA programs) for well over 150+ years. Stating that FID is only a SF mission or that CF cannot conduct FID is simply ignorant. There are several SOF units (PSY/CA, all types of MI, and logistical units) that have FID in their core tasks, not just SF. There are plenty of historical examples of CF conducting FID operations (and successfully).

Again, I believe SOF (primarily SF) is better for the FID mission. However, stating that CF will not be involved, that they have not been involved, or that they should not be involved in the future, is simply retarded IMHO. We obviously know that CF has conducted FID, that they are currently conducting FID and that FID will be a mission that SOF and CF will share in the future…

Conventional soldiers on the ground level can successfully train indig forces on military topics. What makes CF not fit is at the senior leadership levels.

Big Army sucks at COIN, and always will. Small successes on the ground by some squad leader or PL that kinda "gets it" are going to be negated by overarching strategy at higher levels that are drawn up by people that don't understand their environment. Successes in Iraq that have more to do with the Iraqi people being sick of their neighbors dying than anything the US Army thought of have convinced CF that it can do the same in Afghanistan (and anywhere in general). Couldn't be farther from the truth. 2014, when most people will withdraw from Afghanistan, is a day I am looking forward to.

Conventional soldiers on the ground level can successfully train indig forces on military topics. What makes CF not fit is at the senior leadership levels.

Big Army sucks at COIN, and always will. Small successes on the ground by some squad leader or PL that kinda "gets it" are going to be negated by overarching strategy at higher levels that are drawn up by people that don't understand their environment. Successes in Iraq that have more to do with the Iraqi people being sick of their neighbors dying than anything the US Army thought of have convinced CF that it can do the same in Afghanistan (and anywhere in general). Couldn't be farther from the truth. 2014, when most people will withdraw from Afghanistan, is a day I am looking forward to.

Yeah I agree with you here, but I also think that having a dedicated program to teach FID & COIN to leaders at al level would make future operations better than what have been doing.

Back