Army takes HK416s from special unit

Just curious where that pic of J.A. in the first post came from? I know him and his background and I know he would not be happy with that pic on the iternet.
My best friend is with AWG WGI and he wanted me to come over there afew years back and I was surprised when I asked what gear they were using and he told me the HK 416's cause I knew only one unit that was using and liking them but if you knew the make up % wise of that company you wouldnt be surprised.

Just curious where that pic of J.A. in the first post came from? I know him and his background and I know he would not be happy with that pic on the iternet.

Seems to be an official Army published photo judging by the blurb below.
Ravage will lets us know more ASAP.

The photo is all over Army.mil and DoD. Sorry, never meant to cause any problems...

You didn't don't worry, the people that fucked up here are the DoD for continuingly publishing things like this.

On the other hand the Soldiers themselves should have more presence of mind to not be photographed and give out their info for all to see, not too smart IMO.
You can't allow the media free reign to your info then cry PERSEC when they publish it. :2c:

My best friend is with AWG WGI and he wanted me to come over there afew years back and I was surprised when I asked what gear they were using and he told me the HK 416's cause I knew only one unit that was using and liking them but if you knew the make up % wise of that company you wouldnt be surprised.

I saw a pic of SEALs preparing for deployment, one of them was holding a HK416. Guess they get a little more free space in choosing their toys.

'Scuse me, I heard from some guy that the Army has also confiscated some 416s from actual SOF units? Any truth to this?

Edit: wait, I guess it is right if the following is true:

http://www.defensereview.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1111

Is that correct? Kinda sucks... foreign countries are getting it before US SOF, while the latter is being bound by political BS.

Anything from Defense review can also be taken with a grain of salt, or better yet a handful !!!

They are nothing more than a profit motive driven entity also just like Military.com and Christian Lowe. Does anybody here really think that anyone at Defensereview or Military.com has anymore information than a line grunt with one stripe on his arm ? :rolleyes:

They are nothing more than a profit motive driven entity also just like Military.com and Christian Lowe.

I don't follow the "cool" military sites so I've never heard of this dude. I find it interesting that he's another reporter with zero time in uniform. While he seems to have traveled well and talked to many I find it curious that a man with zero military time is on the forefront of change and information.

Kind of like Mark Bowden.

I would suppose that following their model I could with a few years of experience in a hospital critique surgical practices and comment on the latest in laser technology for the operating rooms. Not just some podunk hospital either, something like John's Hopkins or whatever the top-of-the-line facilities are.

I know! I've read a bunch of articles in Outside magazine, time for me to tell a Sherpa how to better climb a mountain.

It is preposterous and yet people drink the Kool Aid.

http://www.defensetech.org/about.html

Before assuming editor duties at Defense Tech, Christian was a senior writer for The Politico covering defense and national security issues after spending five years with the Military Times newspapers in Springfield Va. Always running to the sound of the guns, he has covered military operations worldwide, embedding with Army and Marine units in both Iraq and Afghanistan, observing detention facilities at Guantanamo Bay, covering humanitarian missions in Lebanon and New Orleans, participating in training exercises at military bases from California to Florida and reporting on military policy and budgets in the Pentagon and on Capitol Hill.

Christian traveled to Afghanistan in 2002 and 2004, spending time in Kabul, Khost and Kandahar chasing the bin Laden trail and scouring the countryside with U.S. forces for Taliban holdouts. He went to Iraq in June of 2003, living in downtown Baghdad and traveling throughout the south of the country for six weeks. Christian returned to Iraq in late 2005, spending a month in Ramadi during the December parliamentary elections and patrolling the streets of Hit in al Anbar province with the U.S. Marines during the new year.

In 2005, Christian was awarded the Associated Press Managing Editor's Association award for investigative journalism after exposing that the Marine Corps had fielded tens of thousands of body armor vests to troops in Iraq that had not passed quality assurance testing by government auditors. He was also part of an Emmy-nominated documentary team that followed a group of Marine Corps officers from their first days of officer training to the battlefields of Iraq.

In 2008, Christian became Military.com's first embed with his return to Iraq, and is featuring his experiences on his blog, From The Front.

Raised in Charlottesville, Va., and a graduate of the University of Virginia, Christian lives on Capitol Hill with his wife Catherine, baby daughter Eliza, and his Jack Russell terriers Noor Whali and Banjo. When he's not sniffing around for the latest defense and military news, he likes to take advantage of any opportunity to slip out of town to go hunting, fishing or surfing.

You didn't don't worry, the people that fucked up here are the DoD for continuingly publishing things like this.

On the other hand the Soldiers themselves should have more presence of mind to not be photographed and give out their info for all to see, not too smart IMO.
You can't allow the media free reign to your info then cry PERSEC when they publish it. :2c:
I agree 100%. FWIW AWG also had to turn in their 416's and got their old M-4's back much to my friends disagreement.

Ravage, where I work the west coast Teams come to our facility for drivers training and just last week I was having one of them give me the lowdown on my PEQ15 and I asked them if they had any 416's and he told me no and werent getting any as far as he knew but I wouldnt put it past the "other" Team unit to at least be "field" testing them.

The huge plus that the 416 brings to the table, is the round count between cleaning. The M16 series uses a gas blow back operation, gas block (front sight assembly), gas tube and gas key (top portion of the bolt assembly).

When firing the M16 series rifle, the gas is pushed through the gas tube into the gas key (bolt), this pushes the bolt back. Thus cycling the weapon. This causes the carbon from the gas expulsion to build up in the chamber, bolt assembly and the rails that the bolt glides on.

The HK416 uses a gas piston system, allowing the gasses to be expelled at the gas block end. Thus keeping the gas and carbon out of the chamber, bolt and rails. This also allows for the bolt to stay cooler during operation, allowing the operator to clear a stoppage with out cool down periods.

Keeping the carbon caused by gas out of the key functioning components, makes the rifle much more dependable. Allows for less cleaning, less sluggish running when dirty and allows Joe to fix a stoppage with out burning his hands…

As for being able to tell a difference in operation, I could not tell until about 700 rounds. The 416 upper was running much smoother then the M4 upper.
:2c:

That was another great thing about the AK design, you could fire hundreds of rounds before cleaning it, and you could generally get by in the short term with a quick wipe down of the internal components and ramming the rod and cloth through a couple of times.

When we conducted the AK range for one of our brigades in '91 after returning home, working the weapons cleaning detail was a snap.

fucking stupid. reminds me of the knuckleheads I work who wonder why we need HF or even SATCOM when everyone else is using Freq Hop VHF. :doh: I drove by Division the other day and what do I see on some of the vehicles? NVIS antenna kits, so there goes that arguement since division falls into the "everybody" category.
Always add on a capability, never take away. Foolishness

fucking stupid. reminds me of the knuckleheads I work who wonder why we need HF or even SATCOM when everyone else is using Freq Hop VHF. :doh: I drove by Division the other day and what do I see on some of the vehicles? NVIS antenna kits, so there goes that arguement since division falls into the "everybody" category.
Always add on a capability, never take away. Foolishness

Awesome. I'm guessing they've never heard of PACE?

Can anyone explain to me radio thing Olive Drag was writing about ?

LMAO!!! He knows you so well OD! }:-) :D

HF can talk half way around the world, if the sig knows what he's doing, VHF is pretty much limited to the horizon. See where he is going with it now?

Supder duper high freq is two tin cans with a string.... ooops OPSEC sorry :-x

Back