Battalion Commander and CSM relieved

I have dealt with Co, Bn, and Bde, commander's wives who have had the temerity to assume their spouse's ranks for many years. They are few and far between, and can be dealt with. I could tell you all many stories, but won't bore you.

Bottom line, this doctor got out of control and thought that she was someone who she wasn't. What the XVIII Corps CG did to her was totally appropriate. What he does to the COL remains to be seen, but I'd be willing to bet that the good COL doesn't get another responsible assignment.

I spent a year in NROTC in college, back when the earth was still flat. One thing that stands out from that experience is being told by members of the cadre and graduating senior class to wisely choose a spouse, that a spouse could make or break our careers.

Fast forward 10 years and in Army OCS this was alluded to, but the Navy had no shame in openly admitting it and even advising us to find a spouse that was friendly and socially engaging.

I don't recall ever being told that in a formal setting, but I believe it to be absolutely true. Having a socially competent spouse can be a career enabler. On the flip side, if your spouse is socially inept, acts in a manner inconsistent with the military's values, or is just a freak, it can be a career inhibitor.

I don't recall ever being told that in a formal setting, but I believe it to be absolutely true. Having a socially competent spouse can be a career enabler. On the flip side, if your spouse is socially inept, acts in a manner inconsistent with the military's values, or is just a freak, it can be a career inhibitor.

From personal experience, I can tell you that having a spouse who speaks ill of her husband an inopportune times is no help....

I have dealt with Co, Bn, and Bde, commander's wives who have had the temerity to assume their spouse's ranks for many years. They are few and far between, and can be dealt with. I could tell you all many stories, but won't bore you.

Bottom line, this doctor got out of control and thought that she was someone who she wasn't. What the XVIII Corps CG did to her was totally appropriate. What he does to the COL remains to be seen, but I'd be willing to bet that the good COL doesn't get another responsible assignment.

Relief for cause because of spouse's actions is no appropriate. But, as CAR concludes....I think Mr. Drinkwine will soon be seeking employment of a civilian variety. (Poor guy, forced to retire as Colonel...my heart bleeds, etc etc.)

Im really shocked none of you asked if she is hot? :p
Im hard pressed to find an image myself but the one on the Campbell University website.

View attachment 12358

Attachments

• drinkwinel.jpg
    drinkwinel.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 35
Col. Drinkwine was my Battalion Commander when I was in he 82nd. I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner, as she made her presence known to all in the S shops.

Our unit collects $5.00/mo. dues from it's members for unit parties, baby gifts, flowers for funerals, and going away plaques. Since the funds are so poorly managed - and payment is optional - many people don't pay, instead pooling their money at the team level to take care of their teammates (instead of the admin chick that keeps pumping out babies and killing off extended family members).

So somehow, the commander's wife gets a hold of the spreadsheet that lists every member of the unit and what months they have/have not paid dues. She then e-mails that spreadsheet out to everyone in the spouse's group, saying (paraphrased) "this is why we can't do nice things, your husbands aren't paying - fix it".

You stay classy, Mrs. Commander.

That kind of shit is why I was thankful that CSM Beam as USARAK CSM excused my wife from mandatory participation in the unit FRG up here.

I would just think with her own career and "title" that she would have had her own life to occupy herself. Guess I thought wrong.

That's probably the problem. She is educated but didn't have the career to occupy her time. To fill the time she got in everyone else's business. Hopefully the men that were releaved of command can still have there careers move forward mostly undamaged.

Back