Big decisions, looking for advice

You can do this while your in the military, and then wear cammies and carry ruck while your at work:thumbsup:

True, but its harder when all your boys try and bang the 1 hot girl...

Absolutely, I've been thinking of joining before I was worried whether or not I could pay for my next semester, it's just a big lunge to make I've never been anywhere else besides ft Campbell. I appreciate everyone's points of view it is helpful.

Yep, its a big lunge. We all took it and I'd go out on a limb and say that not many of us here regret it. But, it's your decision, because its your life and the willingness to give your life in the service of your nation is a personal choice.

Last edited:
Enlisting in the Guard while you finish college isn't an option?
I thought about this and a recruiter recommended it (mostly to get me in right then and there), but isn't transferring from guard/reserves to active pretty difficult? I'm not sure how education benefits work in the National Guard. For the GI bill and other benefits you have to be active for 3 years. I'm not looking at service as just a way to get benefits, I'd like to do the whole nine yards of basic, AIT, get stationed somewhere active.

Smokin' Jesus titty cinnamon....

- Both college and the military will still be there in 4, 6, 100 years.
- Don't get a degree just to have a degree. That's dumb, a waste of time and money. Earn a degree you can use.
- Your recruiter is a POS like many recruiters. Ignore that nuke crap.
- Think about your life if/ when (statistics are never on anyone's side) you become injured or don't finish a SOF pipeline. You want to be a soldier or sailor? Haze gray and underway or stuck in some fobbitt role?
- Either service path can set you up for nursing school or PA school after you're out of uniform. People would be surprised at the number of SOF guys who become MDs.
- You're suffering from "paralysis by analysis." At some point you have to pay your money and take your chances. Not one single person here, including you, can say what you'll regret in 10, 20, 30 years. Make your decision and live with your decision.

- Don't get a degree just to have a degree. That's dumb, a waste of time and money. Earn a degree you can use.
- Think about your life if/ when (statistics are never on anyone's side) you become injured or don't finish a SOF pipeline. You want to be a soldier or sailor? Haze gray and underway or stuck in some fobbitt role?
- Either service path can set you up for nursing school or PA school after you're out of uniform. People would be surprised at the number of SOF guys who become MDs.
- You're suffering from "paralysis by analysis." At some point you have to pay your money and take your chances. Not one single person here, including you, can say what you'll regret in 10, 20, 30 years. Make your decision and live with your decision.

You should pin that post boss....

M.

In regards to medicine. I was a medic at Bragg, a long time ago. Became a paramedic there also. Been a paramedic in the outside world for near 18 years. If medicine is what you want, take it, don't look back. I can't speak on college, I have none. Either way, Army medic or Navy corpsman, you will be needed and learn alot. Lots of room to advance in medicine also. Hell, if I still really cared for medicine, I would go nursing or P.A. route but I am not at that point anymore. My point being, fuck what the recruiters say, they lie, as others have told you. Do what YOU want...

M.

This whole post is golden, should be embroidered on a throw pillow, and required reading for new members.

I highlighted the point re: degree because it's true. College for college sake and without a plan is a waste of someone's money: yours, the lender, the holder of the scholarship, whatever. It shouldn't be a place to "find yourself" and waste 4-5 years till you get on the other side.

If you want to pursue HM, I (or others here) can be a great resource. If you want to be a SARC re: @Teufel's advice, there are fewer here but enough to get you pointed in the right direction. If you want the Army, likewise there are folks here who can be of real benefit. You do indeed suffer paralysis by analysis; shit or get off the pot.

I'll make sure I capitalize "M" and "C" I didn't realize. I'm not looking for an excuse or someone to confirm a bias, my feelings about school are more of a financial reality. I love college and it's not the learning that's making me unhappy, it's that I don't have a plan for school. I've been in college for 2 years I should have game plan on what degree I want to earn and I don't have it. By enlisting I can at least earn money to put towards that degree instead of footing the bill in loans straight up. From where I'm at that makes the most sense, or maybe I'm just being nearsighted.

Sounds like you've already made your decision...so do it.

I went to college on the GI Bill. The only obstacles I faced were working, going to school and serving in the Air National Guard at the same time. But I pulled it off and so can you. The GI Bill is a great thing and not to be wasted. Good luck.

I highlighted the point re: degree because it's true. College for college sake and without a plan is a waste of someone's money: yours, the lender, the holder of the scholarship, whatever.

A degree is always a good thing to have.
I majored in Phys Ed but I don't teach.
I have had damn good jobs that simply required having a degree. I agree that it's best to major in a relative subject but having any degree is better than none.

Last edited:
A degree is always a good thing to have.
I majored in Phys Ed but I don't teach.
I have had damn good jobs that simply required having a degree. I agree that it's best to major in a relative subject but having any degree is better than none.

I tell that to all of those baristas, waiters, and second-degree nurses with womens' studies and sociology degrees.

Not every job needs a degree, and many fields make much more than a degreed person (i.e., HVAC, plumbing, etc). I do not think incurring debt getting a degree for the sake of having a degree is a good idea; I respectfully disagree.

I tell that to all of those baristas, waiters, and second-degree nurses with womens' studies and sociology degrees.

Not every job needs a degree, and many fields make much more than a degreed person (i.e., HVAC, plumbing, etc). I do not think incurring debt getting a degree for the sake of having a degree is a good idea; I respectfully disagree.

If you have experience in a field the degree can check the block. I wouldn't recommend it, but it if you are in you 30's with some experience in your field it isn't bad. As a 20-something just graduating? Oh, hell no....

In the same turn, good luck walking right into a skilled labor position such as plumbing, HVAC, etc. One of the biggest hurdles I see young guys facing upon leaving the Army is that they want to work in a certain field upon ETS but don't have the degree that is all but required for the job, but that is a topic for a different thread.

If you want to be a medic, go be a fucking medic, but look at what AWP said, the mil and college will always be there. I went through RIP (now RASP) as a 23 y/o with a few years in the Army under my belt. Age will not hinder you as much as you think.

Maybe my post reads this way but I didn't recommend getting a degree for the sake of having a degree. Most choose a degree with a job in mind and often end up working in another profession in which they could not without a degree.

Maybe my post reads this way but I didn't recommend getting a degree for the sake of having a degree. Most choose a degree with a job in mind and often end up working in another profession in which they could not without a degree.

I did misread it, my bad. This makes sense. I'm not anti-college; but I am anti-college-when-it-doesn't-make-sense.

My first degree was poli sci, my first job was a newspaper reporter, not political scientist, so I get and agree with your point.

There is never damage done by being able to critically think and analyze information effectively. A college degree surely isn't the only way to get there, but it only hurts if you don't take the education seriously.

I am of the mindset that if you have the drive and discipline to make it through college, as a young man, SOF/the military will be there. Others like me and others here needed the extra years to mature enough to get what college offers.

I went through SFAS as an 18year old and was on an ODA at 21. I wasn't the best team guy I could be because I didn't have the maturity necessary outside of the structured environment the Q course provided. With the benefit of retrospection I would have garnered more life experiences through either another part of the military(Ranger Regiment) or through school. Just my .0002 cents.

This is a super awesome thread. Much better than analyzing my TPS reports...:zzz:

Everyone here has valid points. Degree v military v skilled trade. It does not matter. A few points for me, just because its fun!

1. Every degree is useful. Having a degree shows employers you can think critically and have the commitment enough to follow through with a decision. While I agree, that there are degree programs out there which will not optimally prepare you for the job market you may find yourself in, having the piece of paper in ANYTHING will benefit you.
-As an example: Target will not hire anyone for a management role without a degree. Any degree. I have nothing against Target or people who work there, but it does not take a rocket surgeon to manage a small department of people who stock shelves or run cash registers. Anyone with 4 years in the military should be qualified for that job, but they aren't because that company wants a degree holder. This is one example from 1000's.​

2. Military experience is invaluable. I will influence my boys to join the military if I can. Hell, I think it should be a mandatory requirement for all US citizens, but I digress....
-My original point was that the military is NOT a young man's game. Last time I checked, there are no 18-21 year old kids as a Team Leader. And in the rare case that there is a young buck in charge, I'm a little nervous. I want my Team Chief to have multiple pumps under his belt, seen it all, shot at it all, and spit a wad of Copenhagen in its eye.
-You don't even know what you don't know yet. There are guys who have gone FMF ==> Frog ==> DEVGRU==> blah blah (same thing in the Army, just different acronyms).... That kind of progression gets harder every step, and you have to spend years in each of those stages before you get the shot at advancing... some of the hardest dudes I know are well beyond "young man" and they can out PT most humans on Earth still.​

3. Both paths have awesome value. Don't be paralyzed by fear. Just make a decision because neither is the wrong choice. There's plenty of life left for you to walk another path later.

Soap box complete. I'll go back to being a sarcastic a-hole now.

Last edited:
I never finished college, I am 50 years old, in the career I want (28 years), retired from the military (Reserves)....I passed my post 9/11 GI Bill to my daughter who has used it and the Hazelwood benefits (Texas) to graduate from Grad school with no student debt.

But....I will always wish I finished college when I was a young man.

The posts above are right, the military will be there when you finish.

Back