Big holiday pickup for family Groups give soldier, wife a new truck

Ravage

running up that hill
http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/napervillesun/news/711740,6_1_NA25_TRUCK_S1.article

markrobbinslx5.jpg

December 25, 2007
By BRITT CARSON Staff writer

The shiny silver Christmas present for the Robbins family wouldn't fit under the tree, or even in the house.

But Mark and Jessica Robbins came to Naperville on Monday to drive home what was arguably the biggest Christmas present they had ever gotten: a 2008 Chevy Silverado. "We are so fortunate," said Jessica Robbins, originally from Elmhurst.

Her husband, Mark, a Navy SEAL, was injured in Iraq in April. He sustained a gunshot wound to his face and now has a prosthetic left eye. The couple, who met at York High School, reside in San Diego, but spent a week at home with their families in Elmhurst.

The truck was donated by three organizations: the Disabled Patriots Fund, Wounded Heroes Foundation and USA Cares. Lt. Gov. Pat Quinn stopped by Dan Wolf Chevrolet of Naperville on Ogden Avenue to deliver the keys to the Robbins family.

"Before Christmas it is important for all of us to remember to take good care of all the soldiers that were and are on the front lines," Quinn said. "They served honorably, and we need to help them in every way we can."
Mark Robbins, 25, continues to heal after his injury, but is enjoying life as it starts to get back to normal.

"He is doing extremely well, but that's Mark," Jessica Robbins said. "This is such a generous gift."

She gave all the credit to the Robbins family for finding out about the local organizations that offer injured veterans a helping hand.
"All these organizations came together for us and I know they help a lot of other families too with everything from financial to emotional support," Jessica Robbins said.

Mark Robbins got behind the wheel of his new truck and tried to get accustomed to the vehicle. "I just don't believe this," he said, staring at the truck. "It will probably take a week before I will believe it and stop thinking this is just a rental."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcbv3BXZ7Ig"]YouTube - Story of Service: McCain's VMI Speech[/ame]

After I saw the McCain speech for the first time, I always wondered what happened to the guy. This is a great follow up story! Thanks for posting, Rav.

Thanks for your service, frogman.

Back