TLDR20

Verified SOF
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro has started a program called the Veterans Access Program, which allows medically trained veterans access to a traditional or accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree(BSN).This means any medically trained veteran, or a veteran that wasn't a medic, but since being out has gone that path i.e CNA, EMT, paramedic, already a nurse but want a BSN.
The program has the potential, as in my case, to get an 18D a BSN in only 3 semesters. The program has been set up to maximize credit from a veteran or active servicemember's Joint Service Transcript, in order to get the most applicable credit. I personally was granted a great deal of credits, in addition to credit for my clinical experiences while in SOCM/SFMS. Veterans get priority admission, and are given specialized advising, as well as priority clinical placement. Lastly the grant that pays for the program is co-sponsored by Cone Health, and the head of Talent Acquisition is one of the professors for a special MIL-CIV transition course. The program is well thought out, well funded, and is currently running.

Check it out! UNCG School of Nursing

The University of North Carolina at Greensboro has started a program called the Veterans Access Program, which allows medically trained veterans access to a traditional or accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree(BSN).This means any medically trained veteran, or a veteran that wasn't a medic, but since being out has gone that path i.e CNA, EMT, paramedic, already a nurse but want a BSN.
The program has the potential, as in my case, to get an 18D a BSN in only 3 semesters. The program has been set up to maximize credit from a veteran or active servicemember's Joint Service Transcript, in order to get the most applicable credit. I personally was granted a great deal of credits, in addition to credit for my clinical experiences while in SOCM/SFMS. Veterans get priority admission, and are given specialized advising, as well as priority clinical placement. Lastly the grant that pays for the program is co-sponsored by Cone Health, and the head of Talent Acquisition is one of the professors for a special MIL-CIV transition course. The program is well thought out, well funded, and is currently running.

Check it out! UNCG School of Nursing

I applaud UNCG, SON for it's program. You can't beat an 18-D being able to sit boards after three semesters. The BSN is the way to go. There are two year CC programs that get you a diploma and the chance to sit state boards. If you do that, you should plug in to an RN to BSN progran ASAP. The shortage of nurses nation wide is very acute. You can pick a place to practice just about anywhere, with excellent salary/benefits. Once you have nailed down a BSN, extended practice programs with an MSN in Anesthesia (CRNA), Primary Care Nurse Practioner(PCNP), and other subspecialties are available. With people living longer, the need for care rises sharply. Among the population of folks living longer includes Nurses. Not only are the stepping away from practice, their need for health care. My wife still puts in a couple ten hour shifts a week, and she can write her own ticket re: unit she works, salary, and working hours. Many of the nurses there are doing the same thing. The hole in the Nursing Profession is huge, and growing larger every day. Do think about it, you will have a job when you graduate, and your salary will be pretty good. CRNA's are pulling down six figures, as are some of the other expanded nursing roles. There are several on this board that I would like to see them think about this, and other programs.

Best of luck for those who see tha gold plated value, and step into BSN programs out there.

Last edited:
Damn, I wish that was available when I was recently ETS'd.... I was told that none of my credits/experience would transfer and I knew from working clinical rotations/ER rotations that I was medically better than most nurses at the time.

Have you looked in the right places?

Damn, I wish that was available when I was recently ETS'd.... I was told that none of my credits/experience would transfer and I knew from working clinical rotations/ER rotations that I was medically better than most nurses at the time.

Yeah that is total BS. We have an 80's era 18D going through with me right now.

I know this program, and the director. I got my BSN from UNCG in 2003, before this program. I was a reservist at the time and spooling up for Iraq and they worked with me to ensure I got everything I needed so I would graduate on time. Most excellent program. If anyone has any questions about their SoN, shoot me a message.

I know this program, and the director. I got my BSN from UNCG in 2003, before this program. I was a reservist at the time and spooling up for Iraq and they worked with me to ensure I got everything I needed so I would graduate on time. Most excellent program. If anyone has any questions about their SoN, shoot me a message.

Yeah, or shoot me that message, as I am here now. ;)

Susan Letvak, PhD is the director. Email addy: saletvak@uncg.edu. She is a former Navy nurse, good people. I am not a recruiter for UNCG, and in spite of graduating from there can occasionally be a questionably competent graduate, but it is a great program and am happy to grease the skids however I can to help people get the info they need to make educated decisions.

Susan Letvak, PhD is the director. Email addy: saletvak@uncg.edu. She is a former Navy nurse, good people. I am not a recruiter for UNCG, and in spite of graduating from there can occasionally be a questionably competent graduate, but it is a great program and am happy to grease the skids however I can to help people get the info they need to make educated decisions.

Don't email Dr.Letvak first please. PM me here, as I am currently in the program and can answer questions first.

I just want to bump this as we have so many docs around it may be a good thing.

Just so everyone is aware of how good this program can be, take a few examples of success. Two of us in the program(one 68w from 82nd, and one 18D) both received highly coveted externship(paid) in critical care units. Other veterans in the program are doing ED work, while others are pursuing other externships. You will not get a better, more supportive program to help you transition from military medicine to becoming an RN.

If you have ever even thought of a career in medicine, even as a PA, or MD, and you haven't at least looked at getting a BSN you are wrong as fuck. Again this program is well funded, well thought out, and excellently resourced.

I just want to bump this as we have so many docs around it may be a good thing.

Just so everyone is aware of how good this program can be, take a few examples of success. Two of us in the program(one 68w from 82nd, and one 18D) both received highly coveted externship(paid) in critical care units. Other veterans in the program are doing ED work, while others are pursuing other externships. You will not get a better, more supportive program to help you transition from military medicine to becoming an RN.

If you have ever even thought of a career in medicine, even as a PA, or MD, and you haven't at least looked at getting a BSN you are wrong as fuck. Again this program is well funded, well thought out, and excellently resourced.

So cool. Wish I had this in 99

M.

Excellent school, excellent program, pro-military. If I could graduate from there, anyone can.....

Edited to add: I was not in this program, but I got my BSN at UNCG and know the faculty. Top shelf.

Do it now!!!!

To build on this, I once had a friend who was an ED doc. I frequently brought patients into his ED. He's passed on now, but he tried like the dickens to get me to go to med school. I felt I was too old, didn't want to go into that kind of debt (loans for school plus loans to live on, etc). His answer to my reticence was, "Look, loans are loans and you'll pay them off. If you start now, you'll be a doc by 40. You're going to be 40 anyway; wouldn't you rather be 40 and an EM doc?"

I was an idiot and didn't listen, so I remain a paramedic who occasionally shoots people.

Don't be me. Take the opportunity to improve your lot in life.

To build on this, I once had a friend who was an ED doc. I frequently brought patients into his ED. He's passed on now, but he tried like the dickens to get me to go to med school. I felt I was too old, didn't want to go into that kind of debt (loans for school plus loans to live on, etc). His answer to my reticence was, "Look, loans are loans and you'll pay them off. If you start now, you'll be a doc by 40. You're going to be 40 anyway; wouldn't you rather be 40 and an EM doc?"

I was an idiot and didn't listen, so I remain a paramedic who occasionally shoots people.

Don't be me. Take the opportunity to improve your lot in life.

I had a Dr tell me the same exact thing.

Back