Cancelling cable...

FYI for those on Directv, NFL sunday ticket is free right now if you ask for the promo.

I think I am going to follow in the ways of the rest of you and look to ultimately get away from all the money I'm shelling out for this since I only watch football, ufc, the weather channel, and that one brazilian butt lift commercial over and over again.

FYI for those on Directv, NFL sunday ticket is free right now if you ask for the promo.
Yeah, that whole thing is bull shit. We've paid for Sunday Ticket for years. Called to get the free promo and was told it was for NEW sign-ups only. :mad:

Interesting. I paid for it for a long time too and still got it free.

Maybe an east coast thing?
Yeah, that whole thing is bull shit. We've paid for Sunday Ticket for years. Called to get the free promo and was told it was for NEW sign-ups only. :mad:

My family ditched cable 8 months ago, and we're all better off for it. With the Internet, I don't need cable for news, and with NetFlix streaming, I don't need it for entertainment.

Suck it, Time Warner.

My brother did this over 1 year ago, 4 kids in the house and no one misses it.

The only thing my brother misses is watching our beloved Blackhawks games.

I'm cable free as well. I use Western Digital TV Live for all my TVs along with Power Line Networking, a hard drive full of 3000 movies and TV shows (for which I have the original paid for DVD's). The basic services come with the WD TV box. I subscribe to Hulu to get shows that would be on TV for 7.99 a month. (Netflix has the same service, but Hulu has most of the shows I am interested in). The downside is that I hate commercials and both Hulu and Netflix have commercials. There are two live TV services that can be subscribed to as well, but I don't know if sports are covered. Some of the internet content is included like youtube.

WD TV Live: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330
Powerline Networking: http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/powerline http://store.linksys.com/products/linksys-powerline_stcVVcatId554690VVviewcat.htm

I don't like the smart TVs. Many of them, including the WD TV, call home if internet connected, leading to tracking and tracing. For me, I mainly just watch the stuff I have burned down to disk. I only connect the network for them if there is a good reason.

(Netflix has the same service, but Hulu has most of the shows I am interested in). The downside is that I hate commercials and both Hulu and Netflix have commercials.

Netflix doesn't have commercials, that's why we stuck with them vs Hulu. It might not be the current season but I watch those on the computer anyway. Bibby watches the most Netflix on the TV

I still remember getting our first color TV. I think I was 3 (no burn sleeve yet so I must have been), I have a picture somewhere of my Dad installing it.

My parents had cable for a little while. Group W was the provider at the time, and the cable box had little switches to go through the channels. Couldn't have been more than 15 channels available. Dad sat up and watched the debut of MTV, and it wasn't too terribly long afterwards that Mom put her foot down and had it cut off. Skin-e-max and Madonna had no business in her home with three children that she was trying to raise right in the Catholic way. ;-)

My brother did this over 1 year ago, 4 kids in the house and no one misses it.

The only thing my brother misses is watching our beloved Blackhawks games.

If he's in or around Chicago, tell him to pick up an HD antenna. Granted, most games are on cable or CSN Chicago...

I still remember getting our first color TV. I think I was 3 (no burn sleeve yet so I must have been), I have a picture somewhere of my Dad installing it.

LOL I watched A team and air wolf in black and white until I was about 6-7. Once I saw them in color, I stopped watching...

The first cable box we had, was the old slide style, that had sat on top of the console color TV, and all my friends thought we were big shit...

LOL

Last edited:
LOL I watched A team and air wolf in black and white until I was about 6-7. Once I saw them in color, I stopped watching...

The first cable box we had, was the old slide style, that had sat on top of the console color TV, and all my friends though we were big shit...

LOL

Pffft... Airwolf, A Team, and Knight Rider were thankfully available on network TV, so I got to watch it in color.

The first cable box we had, was the old slide style, that had sat on top of the console color TV, and all my friends though we were big shit...

LOL
A bit before my time, or at least my recollection. :-"

Back