Cancelling cable...

If it wasn't for my kids and some of the stuff they watch I could just as easily get rid of Dish. Only about a dozen, maybe 15 channels we watch with any regularity.

I will have to do some research and look at alternatives, maybe look at doing this.

Depending on what you and your kids watch, an HD antenna and something such as Netflix or SlingTV may fit the bill. My kids first question was if they would still be able to watch Teen Titans Go. :D

It's rotten programing that you have to pay for, that irritates me. You pay the extra money for Starz, or Encore and a good 25 or more other channels are bundled into the package. In doing this, the signal provider keeps alive television that no one will ever watch. If we were allowed to pick from a menu, a lot of reality, and shopping would go belly up; same for all the religion related programs.

It's rotten programing that you have to pay for, that irritates me. You pay the extra money for Starz, or Encore and a good 25 or more other channels are bundled into the package. In doing this, the signal provider keeps alive television that no one will ever watch. If we were allowed to pick from a menu, a lot of reality, and shopping would go belly up; same for all the religion related programs.

Hard agree.

Cable is a racket any more, IMO.

Netflix and Hulu are all we use now, if we watch TV at all.

We haven't had anything but HD antenna and Netflix/Amazon Prime for just over 4 years. Don't miss cable at all, actually think its annoying when I'm somewhere that does and cant find a channels or times when things specifically play. Internet streaming is way better IMO. Don't watch all the big cable news anymore either, local on the HD antenna and stream whatever I want to see. Amazon prime can get pricy so if you have kids set some ground rules, we limit it to one episode a day and one movie a week.

Depending on what you and your kids watch, an HD antenna and something such as Netflix or SlingTV may fit the bill. My kids first question was if they would still be able to watch Teen Titans Go. :D

I know Netflix (we have it); don't know the 'value' of some of the others. My kids watch the Disney channel stuff; I do like TNT and some of the channels that show old movies, Discovery, etc. I imagine that's where we're headed, though. The HD antenna is a must-have.....if my older boys can't watch football, they will go into withdrawls.....

Hard agree.

Same here (I have Amazon Prime as well).

I told Time Warner to shove it after they jacked my rate up to $140+/month. I can pay for a LOT on $1700 a year.

I know Netflix (we have it); don't know the 'value' of some of the others. My kids watch the Disney channel stuff; I do like TNT and some of the channels that show old movies, Discovery, etc. I imagine that's where we're headed, though. The HD antenna is a must-have.....if my older boys can't watch football, they will go into withdrawls.....

If you have good internet, Sling TV has Disney, Cartoon network, and ESPN to cover down on some sports/MNF, for $20 a month.

We had Directv for 10 years and a middle of the road package plus HD. It was running us almost $100/month for tons of channels we did not watch. I'll miss having access to regional MLB programming, especially when those teams are playing the Pirates, but oh well.

If you have Amazon, sling has a deal for an add-on HBO package as well. Guess its a promotion for the whole Game of Thrones thing.

We're in too! Just RTB'd back to MD and we just OTA HD antenna, Netflix, Hulu, and Prime.

Next up: dumping Verizon (but keeping the hell out of that stock!) and going pay-as-you go.

Hard agree.

I agree with your thinking. For about a year after the current resident in our White House, I would watch an hour in the morning. Even they have their own spin artists, and presentation shapers too. So I stepped away from that too. My news now is from internet sources that is from Left, right and middl. I also use BBC.

I agree with your thinking. For about a year after the current resident in our White House, I would watch an hour in the morning. Even they have their own spin artists, and presentation shapers too. So I stepped away from that too. My news now is from internet sources that is from Left, right and middl. I also use BBC.

The BBC is good - they and Reuters are my most consulted online news sources.

(Reuters did publish nonsense from climate science denialists in a piece which created false balance on the fact of AGW a couple of years ago, but slips like that are fairly rare.)

Reuters

The BBC is good - they and Reuters are my most consulted online news sources.

(Reuters did publish nonsense from climate science denialists in a piece which created false balance on the fact of AGW a couple of years ago, but slips like that are fairly rare.)

Reuters

Our Cable provider dropped AMC, and I miss that channel.

What would be really nice is if TLC, History Channel, and a few others would return to their roots. Too many are broadcasting some really dumb "Reality" TV. If you wiped the system of reality shows, programing, I would hope, return to teaching on TLC, and scrap the pawn shop reality show. The reality dip shits are making a lot of $ for programs that just suck. A pick and choose the shows we want, and not, "My 800 lbs Life", chasing Big Foot in Western Va, and similar programs. I'd like to see broadcasters be forced to present more quality programs.

My $.02, Now back in me wee cave in The Valley

Our Cable provider dropped AMC, and I miss that channel.

What would be really nice is if TLC, History Channel, and a few others would return to their roots. Too many are broadcasting some really dumb "Reality" TV. If you wiped the system of reality shows, programing, I would hope, return to teaching on TLC, and scrap the pawn shop reality show. The reality dip shits are making a lot of $ for programs that just suck. A pick and choose the shows we want, and not, "My 800 lbs Life", chasing Big Foot in Western Va, and similar programs. I'd like to see broadcasters be forced to present more quality programs.

My $.02, Now back in me wee cave in The Valley

I could not agree with you more. Those channels used to have some decent-quality educational programming, then they took a swan dive into an empty pool in favor of low-budget reality garbage.

I'm not sure who's more foolish, the fools (the networks), or the fools who follow them (the viewers who watch that garbage).

I'm not reading 5 pages of blabber, too drunk right now.

But, I have lived without cable for about 3 years now.

I have Netflix and Hulu, and about 1 TB of movies and TV shows to include all the Disney classics, and a lot of old cartoons to include the orginal GI Joe for the kids.

Back