Case Study: Karma

It took me a minute to figure out that I had been keeping up with this thread when I picked up About Face to see how many pages I could get through tonight. Then my wife called. :rolleyes: I'm about 75% through the book and it took me a page or 2 to realize I had the characters and plot line from your case study stuck in my head... I should have listened when everyone said, "just wait 'til you hit 30 and XYZ happens". :hmm:

-Is there a particular case study you would like us to take on next? It has to be SOF-related, it has to have major leadership tie-ins, and I have to be able to incorporate some if not most of the main characters used in the other case studies.

Busting posers is the hot thing these days. I know that one of your previous case studies involved a joe messing around with one of your guys' wife, and some posing/stolen valor stuff going on, but maybe flesh out that topic a little more.

Maybe something like this:
-You have a hotshot support dude who is a PT stud and all-around good guy, backbone of the shop, etc etc
-He dropped his SFAS packet a few months ago and is itching to go
-You discover via anonymous facebook tip that he's been posing as the real deal on blogs and such
-You could throw in some stuff about dealing drugs or cheating with someone's wife or whatever
-CWO Rollins has proven to have a little bit of a wild side so you could integrate a little bit of that!

Busting posers is the hot thing these days. I know that one of your previous case studies involved a joe messing around with one of your guys' wife, and some posing/stolen valor stuff going on, but maybe flesh out that topic a little more.

Maybe something like this:
-You have a hotshot support dude who is a PT stud and all-around good guy, backbone of the shop, etc etc
-He dropped his SFAS packet a few months ago and is itching to go
-You discover via anonymous facebook tip that he's been posing as the real deal on blogs and such
-You could throw in some stuff about dealing drugs or cheating with someone's wife or whatever
-CWO Rollins has proven to have a little bit of a wild side so you could integrate a little bit of that!

I like the basic premise of your post, thank you for offering the idea. I wonder if I can actually stretch something like that into a full case study, or if I might roll it up as a side story as part of something larger (kind of like the thing with SGT Small's wife was a branch off of the main story, which was CPT James' brain disease). And also, since I'm a support guy myself, I don't think I'll have the poser be a support guy in Group, maybe some wannabe-anything-SOF-related type from the conventional Army. I don't want to support negative stereotypes about support guys in Group... ;)

I think I may also try to steer away from adultery, that's kind of been a persistent theme in the last couple of cases (although both incidents actually happened "in real life" :hmm:) Maybe I'll try to work something different in that you guys didn't see coming, for a change.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight ;)
I have met many highly-competent female warrant officers. I have never met any that are as attractive as I envision Chief Rollins.

I figured she was based on someone here; thought I might even have figured out who... 8-)

Seriously? PM me who, I'm curious. For the record, the only ones in this case study who I kind of attached to site members were Paul, CPT Criss, CPT Chen, and of course CPT Faith. There have been others in previous case studies, but to be honest it was getting hard for me to keep track of everyone so I tried to pare down the cast a bit. There will be more site members making an appearance in subsequent studies, stay tuned... }:-)

I like the basic premise of your post, thank you for offering the idea. I wonder if I can actually stretch something like that into a full case study, or if I might roll it up as a side story as part of something larger (kind of like the thing with SGT Small's wife was a branch off of the main story, which was CPT James' brain disease). And also, since I'm a support guy myself, I don't think I'll have the poser be a support guy in Group, maybe some wannabe-anything-SOF-related type from the conventional Army. I don't want to support negative stereotypes about support guys in Group... ;)

I think I may also try to steer away from adultery, that's kind of been a persistent theme in the last couple of cases (although both incidents actually happened "in real life" :hmm:) Maybe I'll try to work something different in that you guys didn't see coming, for a change.

I figured that was kind of a flimsy premise to make into a full case study (that would take 8 months to get through) but like you said it could be part of a larger deal, or maybe as a short interlude when doing a larger one to keep people interested (or your creative juices flowing)

CWO = Chief (in branches other than Navy)?
We refer to our WO as "warrant" (as well as Sir/Ma'am, of course) because our senior enlisted are Chiefs.

We refer to our WO as "warrant" (as well as Sir/Ma'am, of course) because our senior enlisted are Chiefs.

The title is still technically Chief Warrant Officer. I've heard "Warrant", "Chief", and in the case of the USMC, "Gunner".

The title is still technically Chief Warrant Officer. I've heard "Warrant", "Chief", and in the case of the USMC, "Gunner".
Gotcha. I figured it was a shortened version, Chief just didn't ring a bell with me because of my brain washing here.

Is the new avatar a foreshadowing of a banning of atomic proportions? :D

Gotcha. I figured it was a shortened version, Chief just didn't ring a bell with me because of my brain washing here.

Is the new avatar a foreshadowing of a banning of atomic proportions? :D

Lol. I hope not!

In the Army, a W1 is known as "mister" (in the same way that one would refer to E5, E6, E7... as "sergeant). You don't become a "chief warrant officer" until you become a W2, at which time it is traditional to be addressed as "chief."

However...

Practice often deviates from doctrine. In the 160th, for example, I often heard warrant officers of all ranks referred to as, and refer to each other as, "mister," regardless of rank. In fact, that seemed to be the preferred term. I've also heard many people (particularly those who don't work with a lot of warrants) refer to W1's as "chief," much the same way a medic is often referred to as "doc," even though that medic does not have an MD and is not, in fact, a doctor.

Also, at my interview board for the 160th, a CW3 (who I had actually knew prior to the board) asked me a question and I started my reply by saying, "Well, Chief..." and I was immediately cut off by the asshole Reg. S1 (a major), who said, "Chief? What do you mean, "Chief," do you see any feathers in his hair? No? Then why are you referring to him as "Chief?" //he was likening the term chief to Indian chief// (me, in my internal monologue of course --> "Well, because he's a CW3, which means by definition he is referred to as "chief," and since I've dealt with him several times prior to this, and called him "Chief" every time, if it bothered him I'm sure he would have said something to me about it by now. Asshole. Sir." :hmm: ) So sometimes it's better to find out what a warrant wants to be called before applying a standard template.

a what? is this some new kiwi code? you guys never say anything intelligible.

Mara, you need to get a kiwi into one of your case studies, it doesn't matter what the kiwi says, nobody understands them anyway.

Don't fake that you don't know what Dungeons and Dragons is. We all know the background behind "The Troll" name.

Back