Case Study: Sun Tzu, III/31

Im just so darn excited I had to tell you, Mara! Keep goingggggggggggggggggg! :D

Since you asked so nicely ;)

Here's tomorrow's post, today:

A minute or so later, Scampi Man came back, this time with two Soldiers that Faith didn’t know but since they were SF-qualified, were probably from the Group S3 shop. They passed Faith without a word, and proceeded down toward Faith’s office.
“Chief, this is where he was. I told him that the SCAMPI was down, he acknowledged it, and then he didn’t do anything about it. Now the whole classified network is down. We can’t talk with our teams in the field, and the Group commander is supposed to have a videoconference with the commander of SOCOM this afternoon. The DCO is PISSED.”

“Sounds kind of typical of the S2 shop,” one of the Soldiers standing with Scampi Man said.

Faith had had enough.

“Excuse me,” he said, attempting to interrupt the conversation. But Scampi Man continued to talk excitedly.

“Hey,” said an obviously-irate Faith. “I’m the guy who you talked to last night. I’ve been here a grand total of,” he said, pausing and holding up two fingers, “ two weeks. You stuck your head into my office, without introduction or preamble, shouted, “Scampi’s out!” and then hauled ass.”

Bob gave Faith a stunned look, but said nothing. That merely angered Faith further.

“You know what “Scampi’s out!” means to a guy like me? It means ‘dinner is served!’ it doesn’t mean, ‘oh shit, all of our access to classified information systems is cut off, you better call someone to get in here and fix it quick, because God help us if the S3 guys have to take time out of their day to gossip about how bad the S2 shop is!’ If this was something that was important to you, and the only guy around you can tell about it is someone you have never even met before, and don’t even recognize when you pass him in the hallway, maybe you should bother to make sure he understands what the problem is, before you pop smoke and bail on the entire issue.”

Bob opened his mouth to respond, but Faith cut him off.

“What?” Faith challenged, “say something.”

Embarrassed and angry, Bob again opened his mouth to say something, and Faith again cut him off.

“Yeah, I didn’t think so.”

At this point, Bob was clearly as infuriated as Faith, and the situation was about to spiral out of control. Then one of the Soldiers with Scampi Man started laughing.

“Hey, sir,” the man said, “It’s all good. Just let the S2 know that the SCAMPI is out when he gets to work, he’ll know what to do.”
Faith turned and looked at the man who spoke and was about to give him some choice words as well, when something about the man caused Faith to stop short. This man was very clearly older than the “usual” SF guy; grey hair, deeply tanned and wrinkled skin, and a hint of a receding hairline. Faith also noticed the man was “tabbed out,” sporting both an SF and a Ranger tab above his unit patch. But what caught Faith’s attention most (other than the man’s epic moustache) was his rank: on his collar, the man was sporting a black bar with a dark line running down the middle; the mark of a CW5.

WO5Newsc.jpg

The man was smiling broadly as Faith considered what to say and do next. In the back of his mind, Faith heard the words of wisdom that he had heard so often from First Sergeant Reynolds, “Sir, never miss a good opportunity to STFU.” Unlike all the other times he had heard it, though, this time Faith heeded that sage advice.

“Roger, Chief,” was all Faith said, and went into his office. As Scampi Man and the two Soldiers walked away, Faith heard one of them say, “At least someone in the S2 shop has some balls.”

lol

"Faith woke up and realized it was all a dream. But turning towards his dresser, he saw something that hadn't been there before- a tan baseball cap with a subdued US flag sewn onto it. Was it real? Was it imagined? Was he ever even in the military to begin with? The world will never know..."

THE END

;)
Sewn? I thought it was supposed to be hook and loop? Oh wait, my bad. Facts are skewered to protect the innocent... or guilty. LOL
WooHoo, my story made it in the story!!
I'll send you the address where my royalty checks can be mailed. :D

Poor SA on the Cpt's part. It sucks when you notice that kind of thing (usually mid-tirade) after your foot is in position to be inserted not-so-gently into your mouth.

When The Dud got in a few minutes later, Faith filled him in on what happened. The Dud seemed to panic immediately, and seemed to be trying to blame Faith for what happened.

“Sir,” said Faith, in between The Dud’s panicked stammering, “I have been here two weeks and you have yet to tell me anything, about anything, other than to read up on arms rooms inspections. There are no continuity books and no SOPs. How did you expect me to know anything about a Scampi? Osmosis? Telepathy? …?” The Dud glared at Faith but said nothing.

The Dud hurriedly left to go talk to the DCO, whoever that was, and Faith went back to his office. Logging on to his computer, he did a search and figured out what a Scampi was. Technically, it’s not “a” Scampi, SCAMPI is an acronym. And, judging from the explanation of what it is and what it can do, then yeah, having it down is a pretty big deal.
The phone on Faith’s desk rang; it was Faith’s friend Mike from The Division. “Hey Mike, I’ll have to call you back,” said Faith when he noticed a visitor at his door.

CW5 Randy Michaels was short and wiry, with rough hands but an easy smile, and as Faith found out later, a quick wit and great sense of humor. “Hey, sir,” he said, “Mind if I come in?” he said after the two shook hands. It was more a statement than a question. Without waiting for an answer, he pulled a chair over to Faith’s desk, and gestured for Faith to have a seat. Being invited to take a seat at his own desk would normally be enormously irksome to Faith, but the way Chief Michaels did it, it seemed totally natural and inoffensive.

“So, sir, tell me a little about yourself,” Michaels said to Faith after the two were both seated comfortably.

“Not much to tell, really,” Faith began, nervous after what had transpired with Scampi Man earlier in the day. I just came out of the intel advanced course at Fort Huachuca. Before that I was with 2ID in Korea for two years, and then before that I was here, in The Division.”

“Oh, so this is your second time at this duty station?”

“Yes, it’s close to where my parents live, so it’s a good place for us.”

“Us? You’re married?” Michaels inquired.

“Yes, my wife is over at Division.”

“Is she intel too? “

“Yes, she works in the Division G2 shop.”

“Nice, it’s always good to have a connection at Division,” Michaels said, smiling.

“Indeed,” Faith replied. Chief Michaels had an engaging personality, and Faith felt naturally drawn to him.

“So what did you do in Korea?” Michaels asked.

“Well, I started off on the division staff, but a spot opened up and the needed a company commander, so I got to be in charge of a SIGINT company for a year.”

“This was before you went to the advanced course?” Michaels inquired, confused.

“Yes,” Faith replied.

“Isn’t that a little backwards? Don’t you normally go to the advanced course first, and then go to a command?”

“Normally,” Faith clarified, “but to be honest, no one else wanted the job.”

“I see,” said Michaels. “What did you do in the Division?”

“I came in under the branch detail program,” Faith explained, “so I was an infantry platoon leader in 1st Brigade for almost two years, and then I was a battalion S1. About the time I was supposed to pin on captain, it was time for me to head out west and earn my squashed bug,” he added, referring to the way that the military intelligence branch insignia looked on the BDU uniform.
P_537292_1286558.JPG

“So you were an infantry battalion S1 as a lieutenant, and you commanded a company before you went to the advanced course. You must be a fast burner.”

“Not really,” Faith said with all sincerity, “I honestly happened to be in the right place at the right time, and to have worked for the right people. And I had some super NCOs to keep me from stepping on my crank too badly.”

“I see,” said Michaels, his eyes narrowing in thought. “So, what do you think about 2nd Group?”

“Well Chief, I’ll tell it to you straight. I was excited as hell to be here… at first. This is a great gig for an MI guy, and I was really looking forward to it. Plus, my father was in 2nd Group-”

“B/2/2?” Michaels interrupted.

“Yes, actually,” Faith replied. “How did you know that?”

“So, what do you think about the Group S2 shop? Michaels inquired.

“Well, I haven’t been here that long, so it’s kind of hard to have an opinion formed.”

“First impressions, then,” Michaels prodded, smiling again.

“Well, like in most units, there are good things and bad things,” Faith responded, cautiously; his mental guard was now up.

“I see,” said Michaels. “What do you think about the Group S2?”

“He’s my boss, Chief, and I’m not going to talk bad about him.”

“Good answer,” Michaels replied. “Nice talking to you sir, and good job sticking up for yourself and your section this morning.” Rising from his chair, he added, “Don’t get up.” And with that, he was gone. It wasn’t until Chief Michaels was gone that Faith realized that almost the entire discussion had consisted of Michaels getting Faith to talk about himself. And how did Chief Michaels know that Faith’s father had once been in B/2/2?

2nd Group really was a bizarre place, Faith thought, as he picked up the phone and dialed Mike over at Division.

“Mike, it’s Scott again. What have you got for me?”

“Hey Scott, I’m glad you called. 1st Brigade needs a battalion S2, are you in?”

“Tell me it’s not first battalion…” Faith groaned.

“Yep; first of the first,” Mike replied cheerily, meaning first battalion, first brigade of The Division. “Are you in?”

“Do you not remember what happened to me the last time I was in that battalion?” Faith inquired.

“With as much as you used to bitch and moan about it, how could I forget? Look, that was a looong time ago, anyone who would even remember what happened is long gone, on to other units or out of the Army. And that’s what we’ve got for you. They’re leaving in two weeks for a year in Iraq. It’s out of 2nd Group and gets you your combat patch. Are you in or out? I need to know by 1400 today.”

“OK. Look, Mike, I appreciate you looking out, let me talk to my wife about it and I’ll get back to you.”

“By 1400!” Mike admonished.

“OK, ok,” Faith assured him.

OK, let's talk for a minute about what is going on in this case, and what Faith might be doing right or wrong. So we know that Faith is taking over as the Group S2 from The Dud, and we know that there is a bit of bad blood between the two of them. Right now Faith is reminiscing about the history between the two of them, going back to when Faith first joined the unit a few years back. Faith is becoming increasingly disillusioned with Group; the buildings are falling apart, there appears to be little discipline, Faith has a job and boss he hates, and Faith is sure that the wars are going to be over any minute, and he won't be able to get into the fight before the shooting stops (a la Gulf War I).

Faith has a friend at Division, "Mike," (I haven't come up with a last name for him yet), who can get Faith a job as a Battalion S2 for a battalion from The Division that is deploying to Iraq in two weeks. A battalion S2 gig is a good, "branch qualifying" job for a young MI captain, and would get him the experience and the combat credit he seems to crave. But (of course there is a "but,") apparently Faith was in 1/1 of The Division as some point earlier in his career, and from what we know so far, something happened there that makes him now reluctant to go back. We don't know what that is yet, but Mike seems to think that everyone who might know about whatever it is that happened is out of the unit now, so Faith would be starting with a blank slate.

Then, we have the situation that happened this morning, with Faith going off on someone... we don't know who that someone was, what his job is, who he's connected with... etc. But we do know that one of the two CW5s in the Group saw the whole thing, and then came by later to basically interrogate Faith. And that whole thing about him knowing that Faith's father was at one time in the unit, something that Faith hasn't told anyone... yeah that's kind of strange.

So, what has Faith done right and wrong so far, and what should he do now? Tough it out in a job he hates, or bail and head down the street to Division and then downrange to Iraq?

I would say that arranging a transfer after such a short time would not endear him to the SOF side of the army and might result in him not getting any further assignments there but I say that not knowing how all that works in actuality.

The pic of the "squashed bug" was quite helpful too, so thanks for that. I don't understand why the sudden cut off at seeing a CW5? That's a bit confusing to a civvie like me.

I would say that arranging a transfer after such a short time would not endear him to the SOF side of the army and might result in him not getting any further assignments there but I say that not knowing how all that works in actuality.

The pic of the "squashed bug" was quite helpful too, so thanks for that. I don't understand why the sudden cut off at seeing a CW5? That's a bit confusing to a civvie like me.

Good question. The short answer is, there was just something about this W5 that gave Faith pause.

A W5 is a pretty rare rank in the Army. In an SF Group (18-series guys, please correct me if I'm wrong on this) you actually have two; one is usually focused on ops and works in the S3 shop, one focuses on intel and is (nominally) in the S2 shop. A W5 has been in the Army for a very long period of time, and is usually regarded as "the" technical subject matter expert in whatever his area of expertise is. As a consequence of his long years of service, his technical expertise, and his general bad-assitude, W5s are normally pretty tight with the Group chain of command. SF warrants usually sport an astonishing array of "scare badges" on their uniforms and tend to be grizzled, mean-looking dudes. In short, generally speaking no one fucks with a W5. Especially an SF W5.

Mike's last name should be "Irons" it's an Infantry/Division joke that would work well... if you know what I mean....:thumbsup:

We always referred to the 'squashed bug' as the 'Battlestar Gallactica Badge', because, well, that's what they used in the show.

Faith has a lot of issues in this scenario... bailing after a 2 week rough start in an SF tasking as an MI guy will color the rest of his career, and he's letting a single individual color his perception of the efficiency and professionalism of the Group. CW5, who apparently served with his father, and took the time to softly interrogate him about his background, goals and strength of character... took time, he sees something worthwhile in the young CPT before knowing his backstory. Using a friend to help bail from a tough situation just to get a combat patch, instead of taking time to learn and search for solutions if needed is failure of the strong character needed to accomplish what he's already done, and an insight into the 'career chasing' that can ruin the integrity of an individual just to get rank...

moo, from what was written so far... for I believe Sun Tzu wrote somewhere about character in the face of adversity being one of the marks of the tru warrior, and the true man... and that may be where this case study is leading.:ninja:

Attachments

• The Jungle guide to army ranks pdf.pdf
    349.3 KB · Views: 30
The issues in the S2 shop aside, it seems Faith is experiencing a bit of culture shock coming into an unconventional unit. He should tough it out.

I don't view the fireside chat with the W5 as a bad thing. I'm not surprised he took the time to check Faith out, or that he took the time to sit down with him.

The ass-chewing he handed out wasn't overboard and will probably help to separate him from The Dud's poor reputation and the one the S2 shop enjoys under his command.

I think Faith should tough it out and stay. More opportunity for big drama. And perhaps he can order someone to paint and spruce the place up if he hangs on.

The issues in the S2 shop aside, it seems Faith is experiencing a bit of culture shock coming into an unconventional unit. He should tough it out.

I don't view the fireside chat with the W5 as a bad thing. I'm not surprised he took the time to check Faith out, or that he took the time to sit down with him.

The ass-chewing he handed out wasn't overboard and will probably help to separate him from The Dud's poor reputation and the one the S2 shop enjoys under his command.

I think Faith should tough it out and stay. More opportunity for big drama. And perhaps he can order someone to paint and spruce the place up if he hangs on.

Great observations. I guess we'll just have to see what Faith decides.

Back