Case Study: Sun Tzu, III/31

“So, Mike,” Faith began, “You know that job I asked you for?...”

“Yeah, look,” Mike stated, “I’m really sorry man, but the 1st of the 1st thing isn’t going to work out. Apparently you were right; there must be some residual bad blood down there because they said they’d rather have someone else.”
Faith laughed, this certainly made his decision-making easier. “It’s all good brother, it looks like something else may have fallen into my lap here at Group.”

“Really? I’m glad to hear that,” Mike said, sounding relieved.

Later that evening, Faith recounted the day’s events to his wife. The story of what happened sounded even more bizarre than it did when it first happened.

“You guys have a strange way of doing things in Group,” Faith’s wife observed.

“Tell me about it!” Faith agreed.

“So, are you going to take the job?”

“Yes; the more I think about it, the more excited I am. I’ll be out from under The Dud, I’ll still be in Group, and since I’ll be in command again, it’s more likely that I’ll be able to change some of the jacked up things I see in the intel community within Group. I think I’ll start with some really basic things: come to work on time, wear your uniform, salute when you’re supposed to, don’t leave big-ass safes standing in the hallways outside the SCIF, simple stuff like that.”

“You have a safe outside your SCIF?” Faith’s wife asked, concerned.

“Yeah, but it’s empty,” he replied, reassuringly.

“Well, we need another safe, if you’re not using that one in the hallway, do you think we could have it?”

“I don’t think it would be a problem, but no one knows the combo.”

“A lot of times, no one changes those combos from the default settings,” Faith’s wife informed him, “Have you tried the default?”

“I didn’t know there was one.”

Faith’s wife rolled her eyes. “And you call yourself an intel officer?” she asked, incredulously. She asked him to describe the safe, and then gave her husband the likely default combination for that make and model.

“Want me to send my NCOIC and a couple of guys over tomorrow morning with a hand truck?” his wife asked.

“No, let me find out who owns it first,” Faith replied, “and let me see if I can get it open. Supposedly it’s empty, but for all I know, there’s someone’s ear necklace left over from Viet Nam in that safe. Besides, if we can’t get it open, it’s of no use to you. I’ll give you a call tomorrow and if I can get the safe open, and no one wants to claim it or what’s in it, your guys can come get it.”

“Sounds like a plan,” his wife said.

The next morning, for the first time Faith felt good about going in to work. He hardly even noticed when he passed the same Soldier just outside the office, and again the Soldier didn’t salute. Faith was beginning to assume that SF NCOs simply didn’t have to salute non-SF officers. Or wear their headgear outdoors, either. Faith absently wondered why SF Soldiers went though so much trouble to earn the green beret, only to shun the opportunity to wear it. Maybe that was the point, though.

“Hey, YOU!” a voice thundered. It was so unexpected, that Faith stopped in his tracks. “Yes, YOU!”

Faith turned in the direction of the voice and saw Chief Michaels standing in the building’s loading dock, smoking a cigarette. He was looking in the direction of the Soldier who had just passed CPT Faith.

“Get over here!” Michaels shouted at the other Soldier. “You, don’t go anywhere,” Michaels said to Faith. Not knowing what else to do, Faith stood in place.

The loading dock where Michaels was standing was far enough away that Faith couldn’t make out everything that was being said, but it was obvious enough. When the Soldier first reached Michaels, he stood casually at first, and then snapped to a rigid position of parade rest

paraderest-1.png

http://www.squidoo.com/preparing-for-basic-training-army-rank-structureutm_source=google&utm_medium=imgres&utm_campaign=framebuster

After a few words from Michaels, the Soldier snatched his green beret from his cargo pocket and jerked it into place on his head. A few more harsh words from Michaels, and the Soldier was nodding vigorously. A few pokes in the chest later, the conversation was over. The Soldier turned in Faith’s direction, snapped to attention, and rendered a picture-perfect hand salute. Faith returned the salute, and the Soldier hurriedly left the area. As he walked away, Michaels pointed at Faith and then to the ground beside Michaels in what was clearly a “get your ass over here” gesture.

“Sir,” Michaels began, “when you walk past a violation of the standards, you create a new standard. Your whole life people are going to test you; that’s especially true when you’re a red hat living in a green hat world. When you, as an officer, allow Soldiers to choose what rules they are and are not allowed to follow, you risk the integrity of the entire organization. And I know that your old man would never have put up with what just happened.”

“More importantly,” he continued, “When you don’t uphold the basics, you make more work for people like me. And if there is one thing that warrant officers hate more than anything,” he added, grinning again, “it is work.”

“I understand, Chief,” Faith responded.

Chief Michaels shifted his cigarette from his right hand to his left, snapped to attention and saluted smartly. “Have a good day sir.”
“You too, Chief,” Faith responded, returning the salute.

Faith knew that that he had just been on the receiving end of some “tough love,” but he found himself admiring Chief Michaels the more for it. He resolved right then that he would never walk past something that needed to be corrected ever again.

Entering his office, he saw a piece of paper on his desk that hadn’t been there when he left the day before. “I really need to start locking this place up,” he said to himself, irritated that someone had again entered his office without permission. Looking at the paper, he saw it was official orders appointing him as the commander, military intelligence detachment, 2nd Special Forces Group.

“Well, I guess it’s official,” Faith said, out loud.

The confirmation from Chief Michaels should be a big confidence booster for CPT Faith. It's somewhat understandable that he, as a non-SF guy and new to the command, may be a little hesitant to rip into an SF NCO for not saluting. Especially considering the reputation of the S2 shop as a whole. Now that he has basically been given the ok to crack down from God himself, I think we'll start to see a more aggressive command-style from CPT Faith. Couple this with the fact that he has legitimate authority now, and I think things are going to start to change for the better in 2nd Group. The Dud is not going to like this, and will probably try to undermine, if not outright sabotage, CPT Faith's efforts once he finds out what happened. I'm very interested to learn the history between CPT Faith's father and Chief Michaels as well. I can't remember if it was mentioned what Ray Faith did, but I would not be surprised to find out he had had been an 18A with now Chief Michaels as his 18Z.

Definitely the right way to go. 2nd needs a good scrubbing. It's like choosing to clean the bathroom over the living room.

The living room is already fairly clean since the dogs and the kids aren't allowed in there anyway. It has the best furniture and the best art and is nice to be in even while you are dusting and vacuuming and fluffing pillows. But when you're done, it still looks like a nice room that's been tidied up.

The bathroom on the other hand can be a disaster. But all you have to do is clean the porcelain and wipe the mirror before it starts looking like Mr. Clean was just there. A little of the basics applied in that environment makes a huge difference.

On another note, I think I'm in love with Chief Michaels.

(Just need to get rid of the cigarettes.)

“Sir,” Michaels began, “when you walk past a violation of the standards, you create a new standard. Your whole life people are going to test you; that’s especially true when you’re a red hat living in a green hat world. When you, as an officer, allow Soldiers to choose what rules they are and are not allowed to follow, you risk the integrity of the entire organization. And I know that your old man would never have put up with what just happened.”
Universally good advice in any line of business!!! :thumbsup:

Faith knew next to nothing about a Group MID, and intended to spend the rest of the morning researching the job he was about to go into. But a short time later, The Dud appeared at the door.

“I just got a call,” he said excitedly. “Th-th-th-the DCO is o-o-o-on his way down here for a surprise inspection!” and then he was gone.

Faith did not know what a surprise inspection entailed, but he had always made it a point to run the organizations he was in charge of in such a way that they would pass any inspection, from anyone, at any time. From the flurry of activity in the S2 office, Faith guessed that The Dud didn’t employ the same leadership strategy. Since Faith’s orders did not have him assuming command of the MID for another two weeks, Faith decided that meant he was still assigned to the Group S2 shop for now, so he should help out with the frantic preparations that were now ongoing. Faith might not like The Dud, but for better or worse The Dud was the face of intel in the Group, and Faith did not want to see him fail.

The DCO arrived about 20 minutes later. With him were two individuals who identified themselves as intel reps from SOCOM, the Special Operations Command. “We’d like to start with your SCIF,” the lead inspector said, after introductions had been made.

“S-s-sure,” The Dud stammered. He didn’t talk like that normally; Faith guessed that the stammering was nervous reaction.

The Dude led the group, consisting of the DCO, the two SOCOM inspectors, Faith, and the Group S2 NCOIC down the stairwell into the anteway immediately outside the SCIF.

“Right this way,” The Dud said enthusiastically, punching in a code and opening the SCIF door.

“Just a minute,” said the lead inspector, “what is this?” he asked, indicating the safe.

“J-j-just an old safe,” replied The Dud.

“Why do you have a safe OUTSIDE your SCIF?” the other inspector asked.

“It’s, um, you know, just until, ah, we can get it turned in.”

The inspector leaned down and tried the safe door. It was locked.

“Can you open it up for us?” he inquired.

“No one has, uh, you know, opened that safe in y-y-years,” The Dud answered.

“Well, sir, how do you know it’s empty, then?” the inspector asked, incredulously. The Dud said nothing.

“Look, sir,” the lead inspector said, “you’re going to need to get this safe open, or we’re going to have to fail you right now.”

The Dud merely stood there, with a panicked look on his face. The silence was awkward.

“Sir,” said Faith to The Dud, “are you sure it’s empty?”

“Yes, of, of, of course it’s empty,” he snapped in irritation.

“OK then, there is one thing that might work,” Faith mused as he squatted down in front of the safe. He spun the dial, inputting the default combination that his wife had mentioned the night before. When he was finished, he turned the handle and was rewarded with a loud “clank!” as the lock released. Holding onto the handle, Faith looked back over his shoulder at The Dud, who seemed enormously relieved. Feeling pretty pleased with himself for being able to contribute something to the unit, and silently thanking his wife, Faith jerked the safe door open.

As he did so, a torrent of documents, disks, maps, and other detritus came spilling out of the safe and pooled on the ground around Faith’s feet. Some of the items clearly bore the unmistakable orange sticker that marked Top Secret information. Faith and the DCO uttered an explicative. The Dud, shocked, said nothing. Raising their clipboards, the two inspectors began writing.

Hahaha. I figured. Richard Feynman used to pull this same stunt during the Manhattan Project. He was trying to get them to lock the safes behind office doors and change the combinations.

So, if you're the DCO, what do you do now? An inspection team from your higher headquarters (actually, SOCOM is your higher headquarters' higher headquarters) showed up for a surprise inspection, and the S2 shop not only presumably just failed said inspection spectacularly, but did so in an incredibly embarrassing fashion. Two people seem to be on the blame line here, the marginally-competent Group S2, and the spring-butt newby captain who just so happened to know the combination to this safe, and just had to open it in front of the inspection team. From a leadership standpoint, what do you think should be done?

Exit interviews and reassignments. The Dud needs to be put somewhere he won't be responsible for anything of intel value.
As much as the Captain had nothing to do with this, he's still going to have to explain why he didn't use the info he had to determine the contents as soon as he walked in the building the next day.

Fuck. Me.

Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to; never do anything the result of which you can't guarantee-especially when you're being graded.

Opening that safe will be interpreted by The Dud as Faith deliberately cutting his cock and balls off. The DCO may view it as reckless, not a good quality in a commander, particularly one who by virtue of professional training should act in a deliberate, contemplative manner.

Neither of those things will be affected by what the contents of the safe actually turn out to be.

I just want to know what the inspection team thought about the paint colors for the curb appeal redo. ;)

The DCO is as much to blame as The Dud and El Capt. are. Throwing them under the bus won't alter the reality that HE has fostered an environment of complacence/incompetence by failing to hold his lower leadership accountable. If he gets to keep his job he needs to put his foot squarely in The Dud's "A" and then provide some defined milestones and suspense dates to deliver change by.

As an aside, there is no imaginary line which after crossing a leader is no longer responsible for the actions of their subordinates. A failure by the lowest man on the totem pole is a direction reflection on the man at the top. The DCO needs to spend less time playing racquetball and more time un-f***ing his unit.

I agree with rick. The Dud is a known incompetent. The fact that the DCO has seemingly done nothing about it means he can't just sit back and point the finger at his officers. Commands go bad from the top down, not the bottom up. A shitbag soldier or officer can only do as much damage as superiors allow him to do. The DCO should have held the S2 shop accountable for that safe a long time ago. Two fucking years of that shit being out there? Come on man....

Back