Cold Bore Shooting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aidan

Unverified
Hey guys so started reading Precision Rifle B.I.B.L.E. by Nicholas Irving, a former Ranger Sniper and he has some interesting things to say about cold bore shooting. I have never fired a precision rifle so I would not be an authority on this; however, what I do know is that what he says goes against a lot of stuff I have heard in other snipers memoirs and on TV and in Movies.

Irving Postulates that the temperature of the barrel has nothing to do with actual accuracy and that it is only the subconscious reaction of the sniper when firing his first shot that causes "cold bore" inaccuracy.

He refutes the "cold bore" argument pretty logically by saying that if metal bends as it heats then it does not makes sense that the difference in accuracy between the first "cold shot" is noticeable from the second and third shots where the barrel can still be touched with the hand but their is no noticeable loss in accuracy between the second and third and the 10th and 11th were the barrel is now extremely hot.

I would love to hear what some of the snipers and regular precision shooters have to think. Obviously you can't trust everything that you read. I really have zero personal knowledge on the subject.

Aidan, if you are the same OP as the non-fiction thread, before going any further, I suggest you apologize to a few of the members.

***edit***Didn't see the ban. As you were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back