Combat pants

Salt USMC

Intel
SOF Support
Hey folks. Got some things coming up next year that require some combat-type pants. Unfortunately, since I’m not military I can’t just pick up some Crye uniform pants and call it a day. I’m looking for something like the cool Crye pants, but not.

The reqs:
-No US camo pattern
-Durable material
-2” belt loops
-Accepts knee pad inserts

Anyone have suggestions? Price doesn’t matter - ideally I’d like to get a few pairs.

I'm interested to hear the suggestions. Mainly for the durability and knee inserts. I do lots of questionable things in my wheelchair--things that result in my launching or flying out of it. This results in crawling/dragging my bum legs and knees to get back in said chair. I have an off road/racing chair on the way, so it's likely to get more prevalent. Don't tell my docs.

Anything Salt gets I'm sure will hold up well. Plus, it means good range of motion if he's looking combat-ish, so I can manhandle my legs with more ease.

I'm interested to hear the suggestions. Mainly for the durability and knee inserts. I do lots of questionable things in my wheelchair--things that result in my launching or flying out of it. This results in crawling/dragging my bum legs and knees to get back in said chair. I have an off road/racing chair on the way, so it's likely to get more prevalent. Don't tell my docs.

Anything Salt gets I'm sure will hold up well. Plus, it means good range of motion if he's looking combat-ish, so I can manhandle my legs with more ease.
stripes-billmurray (1).gif

How tactical are you looking to be? I've ordered some pants with kneepad inserts off of Amazon for 3-gun matches, it has worked pretty well so far. But if I was doing deskwork downrange, I'd probably get clowned by the operators for them.

There are several good options on Amazon.

PLEASE TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY

Dudes would clown on me for both of those! The only folks wearing 5.11 these days are TCN security guards, and those blue Crye pants are for cops. And I’m neither Kenyan nor a cop.
Bro, just go here.

Camo Hunting Pants | KUIU

This is the "in" brand for operators who look like operators who are not trying to look like operators.

How tactical are you looking to be? I've ordered some pants with kneepad inserts off of Amazon for 3-gun matches, it has worked pretty well so far. But if I was doing deskwork downrange, I'd probably get clowned by the operators for them.

There are several good options on Amazon.
“Operator Clowning Factor” (OCF) is one important consideration, but not the only one. Less tactical would be preferable, but comfort and durability are bigger concerns.

Did you know Lululemon makes men’s hiking pants? They’re super comfy and wear pretty well.

PLEASE TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY

Dudes would clown on me for both of those! The only folks wearing 5.11 these days are TCN security guards, and those blue Crye pants are for cops. And I’m neither Kenyan nor a cop.

My apologies…

Cabela’s used to be my go to, but I’m not sure if they have a knee pad option.

Good luck.

So...
I hope it doesn't come across as condescending - to the contrary, I'd love to help if I can. However, I'd like to pose the following questions as part of a serious recommendation:

-You say that since you are not military, you "cant just grab some Crye's" and go; you also state that one of the reqs is that you cannot use a US camo pattern.
Is that a formal requirement from your terms of employment or is it your your own choice and preference?
-If it is a formal requirement then I would also ask if there is a SPECIFIC dress code that you are expected to meet. If there is a specific dress code or an "unofficial" commonality among the folks you will be working with, then I would definitely get with some of them to see what is already in use and where your prospective team mates are currently buying their gear.
In my years coming and going, we had lots of different contractors attached to my ODA's and AOB's and it was more than common for them to wear civilian purchased Crye in camo patterns similar to what we were issued in the Army. Equally noteworthy - there are old camo patterns that the US has used in the past that are no longer "US Pattern" and that are now being used by other countries. I've seen Iraqi's using old school US desert camo and tons of Afghans using old school woodland camo. If you have flexibility, you could save a ton by hitting an old Army/Navy surplus store and finding some good fatigue pants in an out-of-use camo pattern. Depending on where you are going to be working, you could even grab some non-US camo patterns. The Kuiu Hunting Pants that amlove21 mentioned also have knee pad options if knee pads are an absolute.

I would always assume that durability is a given if you are looking for "combat-type" pants but there are degrees of durability based on the practical application. If you are doing dynamic PMC work in one environment "combat style" pants might need to have a different level of functionality than if you are doing static security work or serving as a trainer. When I first left service, I did training on a military contract; I wasn't out patrolling or doing security work - but when I was doing small arms training, it was certainly appropriate to have some good tactical pants that allowed me to demonstrate what I was teaching. My "go to" was nothing more complicated than a few pairs of 5.11 Cargo pants - I had black, tan, green, and khaki as well as an old pair of old OD green Army issue field pants. I also had a few pairs of fly by night cargo pants that weren't any tougher than a pair of tacticool chinos. I normally only wore those when I was pacing back and forth in a class room trying to keep people from falling asleep on me.

The 2" belt loop requirement seems like it could be negotiable. The standard width of most "rigger belts" made out of A7 cargo straps is only 1.75 inches and its cheaper to buy a new belt than it is to limit your choices of good pants because of belt width.

The knee pad inserts seem like another requirement that might be a bit negotiable depending on the available selection of pants. I've been issued pants that had those knee pad inserts and I hated them. I thought they were uncomfortable, and in situations where it was appropriate to have increased knee and elbow protection, I was also issued knee/elbow protection that was far better than the small bit of padding that fits into the knee of a pair of pants. If the knee pad capability is a hard and fast preference or requirement and you aren't worried about the price, then there is always the gold standard G3 Cryes - but they are five times the price of a good pair of 511's. Crye's were great when the Army was buying them - not so great if I had to buy them myself. Just stay away form the standard US Issued Multicam color and you should be good to go. A slightly cheaper (but still way too expensive for me) is the Vertx Recon Pants -they also have removable knee pads for half the price as Cryes.

Hope that helps a bit..

Last edited:
I'm not really clear on what your need is or what you're looking for...

You kind of indicate that if they were available, you'd just grab a pair of Crye pants. But, then you mention price doesn't matter and that Crye has a "clown" factor. 🤷

Do you  really need kneepads?

I like Kuhl and Forloh. They have some great options, depending on what your actual need is.

I'm not really clear on what your need is or what you're looking for...

You kind of indicate that if they were available, you'd just grab a pair of Crye pants. But, then you mention price doesn't matter and that Crye has a "clown" factor. 🤷

Do you  really need kneepads?

I like Kuhl and Forloh. They have some great options, depending on what your actual need is.
I was thinking kinda the same thing. Maybe the unit or group you go with has a supply guy that’ll hook you up. I’ve never been a knee pad guy, so that’s never been a think I cared about.

If you need to be uniform, then be uniform and buy some uniform...s.

If you don't, then just get some comfortable cargos that don't look like ass. Wrangler Riggs are tough. It's what I wear for my regular pants, but they're also my riding pants on the adventure bike since I'm Mungo and they don't sell actual adventure moto gear that fucking fits dudes my size.

Kneepad inserts suck donkeyballs, you might as well just go full kneepads and have the hard cap. Otherwise you're going to end up shredding your pants, and as they're not sounding like it's really a writeoff... then that's your money.

In the end, you're either just a dude trying to do a job, or a cool guy. Cool guys got the shit issued.

“Operator Clowning Factor” (OCF) is one important consideration, but not the only one. Less tactical would be preferable, but comfort and durability are bigger concerns.

Did you know Lululemon makes men’s hiking pants? They’re super comfy and wear pretty well.
Lululemon makes great men's clothing, except for the fact that they fuck us on color rotation. But they definitely do not make tacticool stuff or stuff durable for whatever it is you're doing.

Kryptek has generally been my hunting brand of choice and they do make plenty of pants that take knee inserts.

Dalibor III Pant

KADEN KRAWLER KNEE PADS

Back