Army May Replace Pixilated Camo with MultiCam

eh - truth be told, there will be enough gay rules with any new uniform for those in big army that you'll still be all tacticool and shit. the PT belt will fuck it up for us if nothing else.

Not to be stingy but I want multicam to stay with SOF. It adds to the eliteness...LOL. Part of being SF is looking cool and Crye Ps enhances that. I too used multicam and the Viper hood and was never seen on any on my stalks. I was danger close(50m) on my last graded stalk and received 100%.

Trust me, big Army will go UCP-Delta, and you'll keep multi-cam. The downside is you'll be adding name/rank tapes to conform with the new uniform rules.

This photo proves my earlier beliefs, DA will go with the modified ACU pattern so all the ACU patterned shit won't need to be replaced quickly.

Sadly I think you are correct, there are too many people who don't want to look bad and admit they got it wrong with the ACU.

The DCU is an improvement for sure but it's nothing more than a half arsed measure.

The DCU reminds me of cammo from southern Africa, can't quite place it yet.

I'm thinking maybe some 32 Bn stuff... :uhh:

Kiss multi-cam goodbye. SOF gets screwed again.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2009/10/military_uniforms_103109w/

Lawmakers have dropped the idea of making everyone in combat wear the exact same uniform and camouflage pattern.

But out of concern for safety, function and performance, they want more cooperation between the services over ground combat and utility clothing.

The key concern is that U.S. personnel wearing different uniforms in a combat zone raise the risk of friendly fire.

The services raised enough of a fuss about having different needs that lawmakers dropped from the 2010 defense authorization bill a proposed requirement to standardize combat uniforms in the future.

In a report accompanying the defense bill, congressional negotiators agreed that the services may have uniforms that “uniquely reflect the identity of the individual services.” But the report says lawmakers still want uniforms that minimize the risk of mistaken identity and share technological advances and improvements across all services.

Lawmakers also directed the services to establish joint criteria for ground combat uniforms, and expect special operations forces to be covered by the joint standards.

To prod more cooperation in uniforms, lawmakers ordered a quick, 180-day assessment by the Government Accountability Office that will look at what uniforms are now in use, their advantages, similarities and differences.

Lawmakers have dropped the idea of making everyone in combat wear the exact same uniform and camouflage pattern.

But out of concern for safety, function and performance, they want more cooperation between the services over ground combat and utility clothing.

In a report accompanying the defense bill, congressional negotiators agreed that the services may have uniforms that “uniquely reflect the identity of the individual services.” But the report says lawmakers still want uniforms that minimize the risk of mistaken identity and share technological advances and improvements across all services.

WTF? You can't have the same uniform pattern but they must be similar? What kind of shit is that?

ARLINGTON, Va. (Oct. 30, 2009) -- Nothing says pride like a Soldier in uniform. Today's Soldier has much to be proud of in the current Army Combat Uniform (ACU). (LOL)

As Sgt. Maj. of the Army Kenneth O. Preston said, the ACU was designed by Soldiers, for Soldiers. Developed with functionality in mind, many design aspects of the uniform lend themselves to low maintenance, such as the 50/50 cotton/nylon wrinkle-free fabric and the shine-free boots. The uniform also has pockets for elbow and knee pad inserts for added protection, and drawstring at the ankles and waist for improved comfort and fit.

Since introduction of the ACU in 2004, the Army has made more than 25 improvements to the uniform and associated equipment based on Soldier input. These include a reinforced seat, buttons on the cargo pockets, and better attachment of the infrared tab. This improvement process is ongoing, as Soldiers keep suggesting new ways to adapt the uniform to their needs.

Now the Army is focusing on the concealment the ACU provides to Soldiers operating in Afghanistan's unique environment of mountains, deserts, and woodlands.

"The Army is all about taking care of Soldiers," said Command Sgt. Maj.Jeffrey J. Mellinger of Army Materiel Command. "That means providing Soldiers with the best equipment. In this case, it means evaluating what is the best camouflage for uniforms in current operating environments."

The Army is exploring alternate camouflage patterns in two ways. First, the Army is equipping two battalions in Afghanistan with uniforms and personal equipment in alternate camouflage patterns. One battalion is receiving uniforms in MultiCam, a pattern worn by some Special Forces troops in Afghanistan. The other battalion is receiving uniforms in Universal Camouflage Pattern - Delta (UCP-Delta), a variant of the current ACU camouflage pattern that incorporates the Coyote Brown color and reduces the percentages of sand and gray colors. The battalions also will retain their standard ACUs.

Second, the Army is evaluating six candidate camouflage patterns, including the currently used Universal Camouflage Pattern. The intent is to determine which of the six currently available patterns, with corresponding personal protective equipment, provides Soldiers with the most effective concealment in Afghanistan.

"We already have extensive data on the performance of various camouflage patterns in particular environments, but we need to keep building the science for Operation Enduring Freedom," said Brig. Gen. Peter N. Fuller, the Program Executive Officer Soldier. "For example, we need more information on how the uniform camouflage blends with the Soldier's combat equipment in specific environments."

While the issue of camouflage patterns has recently been in the news, the Natick Soldier Research, Development and Engineering Center (NSRDEC) has studied and reported on the effectiveness of different camouflage patterns for many years. The current ACU provides Soldiers with concealment in a variety of environments, from urban to desert, both during the day and at night.

A team has deployed to Afghanistan to collect data in the various environments, outside the Forward Operating Bases, where Soldiers are fighting the enemy. The team includes representatives from the Program Executive Office Soldier, Army G-4, U.S. Army Infantry Center, U.S. Army Special Operations Command, the Asymmetric Warfare Group, the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory, and NSRDEC.

Feedback from the two battalions, as well as results of additional tests being conducted by NSRDEC on multiple camouflage patterns, are expected to be presented to Army leadership in early 2010.

http://www.army.mil/-news/2009/10/3...ts-to-combat-uniform/?ref=news-science-title2

There are 2 battalions here of the 82nd , one is getting the acu with some coyote patches, and the other multicam... i wonder which one they will prefer.
Multicam isnt dead yet, hold your breath.

There are 2 battalions here of the 82nd , one is getting the acu with some coyote patches, and the other multicam... i wonder which one they will prefer.

The 82nd? I thought they were both with 4th ID up in Kunar.

Clothing and sales in Ft Hood have been told that they will start stocking Multicam in a few months.

I was told that by a mate who is posted there, he said that came from someone in clothing sales.

We'll see...

The 82nd? I thought they were both with 4th ID up in Kunar.

Dont know about the 4th ID guys but Ive seen some 82nd guys with 2 different types of camo running around out here. Neither types were ACU and I know one of them was Multicam type camo. FWIW...

If it's not Crye it's just another cheap knock off. It's a shame the damn stuff is so expenisive.

Dont know about the 4th ID guys but Ive seen some 82nd guys with 2 different types of camo running around out here. Neither types were ACU and I know one of them was Multicam type camo. FWIW...

Come to my country, you don't call, you don't write.....:D

Here's where I read it, I missed 3/61 by a few weeks it seems. I need to get back up there before I leave for vacation.

http://soldiersystems.net/page/3/

Our friends over at Defense Tech spoke with COL Cole, Program manager for Soldier Clothing and Individual Equipment at PEO-Soldier and he revealed the units who will be involved in testing of Crye’s MultiCam and the Army developed UCP-Delta as possible supplemental camouflage patterns.

The unit sporting UCP-Delta is the 3d Squadron of the 61st Cavalry of the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division and they have already received their test equipment. The 2d Battalion, 12th Infantry of the 2d Brigade Combat Team, 2d Infantry Division will soon be receiving their complement of MultiCam. Both bat*tal*ions currently oper*ate in Afghanistan’s east*ern Kunar province. Each Soldier involved in testing will receive four uniforms and associated individual equipment in the respective test pattern in addition to a standard RFI issue.

Not Again!! 25 F$$%ing years 11 active, 2 mobilized and the rest Reserve. I'm getting tired of buying uniforms! They are also changing the Class A to Army blues, crap! The BDU's were great, the DCU was made for the desert.

Just like the Army to try and make something do many special jobs with one solution. NEVER WORKS

Oh well maybe I'll be retired before the ACU's get the mandatory wearout date.

IMO, the USA needs equip all of it's Armed Forces in one style of utility/combat uniform. I see no reason, for each service to have it's own unique uniform of this type.

If a specific camouflage pattern is needed to suit the theater of operations, such as Desert, Forest or Snow, etc. the same pattern should be used by all services on the same basic uniform. I do not think that any one camo-pattern is going to be good in every environment that we might be fighting in future conflicts.

Could not agree more. One universal ground combat uniform for all services, like BDU/DCU used to be. And while we're at it, DX the black beret.

If that was the case, our lovely decision makers in Washington would probably end up giving the entire military the Navy's blue camo. I like that each can select from what is best for them and their mission.

Marpat.
Everybody goes with the Marpat pattern camo, but the cut of the uniform can vary between services.

Navy and Air Force can have frickin glowstraps sewn everywhere if they want.
Army can have all their fricken patches everywhere, who cares.

C'mon lets be realistic, ACU, ABU, and NavyCU aren't camouflage.

I hope we don't have to fight in the jungle anytime soon.
Tan vehicles and blue cammies.

I have no idea why you Army guys wear berets with a combat uniform anyway. :uhh:

Is there cammie paint in the ACU colors? :)

I know.
It's still sets a bad precedent.
If you wear a combat uniform you need to have a combat mindset.

Keep berets with the Class A's (if at all).

Me thinking crazy.

Back