Conceal Carry

the reasoning and purpose behind a hammerless pistol is to prevent it from catching during the draw.

The suit one....... I wear Brooks Brothers and if you take your suit to them and tell them you are going to carry, they will taylor the suit to help cover it without the "lump" that goes along with it.

Agreed. A good tailor can be of tremendous value to the concealed carry culture. I'm a large framed indivudual (50L jacket, 36" pant @ 6') and I typically either have to have my suits made or extensively recut. My tailor is an avid marksmen and CCP holder so he feels my pain. I have recently fallen in love with the Blackhawk Serpa holster w/paddle. Serves both purposes for me. I RARELY tuck my shirt in unless I am wearing a suit, then my jacket is cut for concealment. I carry a USP compact .40 most of the time in this holster. When weather or dress dont permit me to carry it, I wear my Ruger SP101 3.25" 5 shot .357mag in an uncle Mikes leg holster. If wearing shorts (every pair I own are cargo shorts) I carry my Walther P-22 in my pant pocket in a small of the back holster to break up the shape of the gun through the fabric. I find that this also works well with slacks/suit pants. If I am working on an EP detail and will be in the car alot, Galco used to make a really nice "driving rig" that secures the gun horizontally across the front of my body for access while seated and has a swivel clip for concealment.

no one like S&W airweights?

CCWrig.JPG

Obviously ready to use his weapon AND his gun. I guess he lives by the old saying "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it". Applies to guns AND condoms.

I carry a Beretta mod 92 with a 17+1 mag and 2 x 15 mags’. I used a in the pants Teflon lined speed rig strong side mostly with shirt out except if I wear a jacket. I then changed to wearing my 9 tucked into the waist of my pants, long, short or my wrap around skirt, Ha, which has proved to be the quickest way to deploy, easiest to conceal but sweat plays havoc with the metal work.

I used a product similar to the belly buddy, was only useful when wearing shorts, but not comfortable. A good custom leather worker will be able to put something together that fits for you and the baroosh you carry

I have hung my guns for some time now, will carry occasionally as the situation dictates, but mostly I sit on my arse in meetings with Captains of Industry now and insinuate myself into a position where I can make obnoxious amounts of money , all the while doing as little as possible.

My father's friend an experience with the belly band

The female FAM I know used to use the belly band, I think it would annoy the hell out of me though

It was on a trans-con flight back in the early 80's. The FAM was walking towards the spiral staircase on a 747, and the weapon began to slip out of the belly band. He hit the stairs and sat down half way up. He looked up, then down, seeing no-one he unzipped his fly and began to push the weapon back up into the band. Just then one of the flight attendants (Stewardesses back then) got to the bottom of the stairs and looked up, only to see this guy fishing around in his trousers.... He froze. They looked at each other for a moment, and she turned around and found something else to do, while he finished securing his weapon...

That had to be a sight....

Bumped!

I'm going to be looking at a couple holsters this weekend and I did a search on the subject and came across this (older) thread. Great information!

Any retention comments on the above?

Seems like the smaller and more concealable, the less retention you end up with.

Bumped!

I'm going to be looking at a couple holsters this weekend and I did a search on the subject and came across this (older) thread. Great information!

Any retention comments on the above?

Seems like the smaller and more concealable, the less retention you end up with.

JBS,

You actually answered your own question. With a smaller frame CC piece, the smaller and more concealable it is, retention actually becomes more of a non-issue-hence the less need for retention. At this point of "small" usually retention exists in the form of a snap only, although I'm sure you could have a custom made piece done up from several reputable persons such as Hume, DeSantis, Rosen, Alessi and others. :2c:

Polar Bear I carry a Glock 36 in a left hand Galco DC296. This part number is a right hand that I changed to left hand. I carry this in the small of my back for a right hand draw. This holster allows you to tuck your shirt in. I blouse the shirt in the back. I will admit the draw is slow because you have to pull the shirt up with your left hand and draw with your right.
I find this far better than a ankle rig. I carry a Sig 239 in the same manner but it is a 40 not the 45. I am 5'11" and 165 lbs.

You will spend your life cleaning anything you carry in an ankle holster. I clean that weapon daily if carried in an ankle holster. This gun is my bug and I am sorry to say it is a Charter Arms five shot 38.

I can give you a couple of links to news papers where people have shot themselves with the belly band and the Gay pouch.

JBS,

You actually answered your own question. With a smaller frame CC piece, the smaller and more concealable it is, retention actually becomes more of a non-issue-hence the less need for retention. At this point of "small" usually retention exists in the form of a snap only, although I'm sure you could have a custom made piece done up from several reputable persons such as Hume, DeSantis, Rosen, Alessi and others. :2c:

Thanks, Centermass. I actually took an hour off today and looked at a few different holsters, but I decided I would wait until I researched the companies mentioned in this thread...

I'll post my feedback as I go. I don't want to abandon all retention capabilities, as I am not personally convinced that there is such a thing as 100% concealment. Call me crazy but I think I can pick out a CC when I see one, and I'm betting I'm not the only one who can do so. Of course, not 100%, but quite frequently, I'll see the bulge.

Thanks, Centermass. I actually took an hour off today and looked at a few different holsters, but I decided I would wait until I researched the companies mentioned in this thread...

I'll post my feedback as I go. I don't want to abandon all retention capabilities, as I am not personally convinced that there is such a thing as 100% concealment. Call me crazy but I think I can pick out a CC when I see one, and I'm betting I'm not the only one who can do so. Of course, not 100%, but quite frequently, I'll see the bulge.

I think it has more do to with the way a person carries themselves.

Call me crazy but I think I can pick out a CC when I see one, and I'm betting I'm not the only one who can do so. Of course, not 100%, but quite frequently, I'll see the bulge.

One thing that will always be in vogue my friend (which I should mentioned) is I should have added concealability can still be jeopardized if the weapon prints, regardless of how small. Lots of variables such as time of year, clothing worn, choice of carry hardware, activity involved etc. For ex, I have an NAA .32 that has a couple of different ways to pack it.

One is with a J-hook IWB. Works well with trousers, belt and a slightly oversize shirt.

Next is a pocket holster and as long as you're not still in the disco era of tight polyester pants, hides quite nicely.

Another is actually a leather waistband piece not actually made for concealment (Primarily use it at the range and going to/from) but can be concealed easily wearing a heavier oversize shirt untucked.

Rule of thumb I have found is as long as you try it wearing lighter weight and tighter clothing material, if it conceals well then, even better when wearing something thicker and looser all in concert together to reduce "Printing" and that unsightly "Bulge" without losing rapid accessibility to it.

I know this is a little late, but I just joined.

I use Crossbreed's SuperTuck. I carry a 1911 (Para GI Expert) model in jeans/shirt and suit w/jacket. Normally with the jeans I leave the shirt untucked. With a suit I tuck the shirt...obviously...and keep the jacket on at all times. For an IWB holster it works well compared to others and is fairly comfortable.

One thing that will always be in vogue my friend (which I should mentioned) is I should have added concealability can still be jeopardized if the weapon prints, regardless of how small. Lots of variables such as time of year, clothing worn, choice of carry hardware, activity involved etc. For ex, I have an NAA .32 that has a couple of different ways to pack it.

One is with a J-hook IWB. Works well with trousers, belt and a slightly oversize shirt.

Next is a pocket holster and as long as you're not still in the disco era of tight polyester pants, hides quite nicely.

Another is actually a leather waistband piece not actually made for concealment (Primarily use it at the range and going to/from) but can be concealed easily wearing a heavier oversize shirt untucked.

Rule of thumb I have found is as long as you try it wearing lighter weight and tighter clothing material, if it conceals well then, even better when wearing something thicker and looser all in concert together to reduce "Printing" and that unsightly "Bulge" without losing rapid accessibility to it.

Another part of my concern with retention is the weapon moving or falling, or otherwise coming loose if I have to haul ass out of an area where there is an active shooter/active situation. I would like to know that the weapon will stay holstered in case I have to "roll" or crouch behind a vehicle at an unusual angle.

I'm still researching this. I looked at the CrossBreed as well as the Milt Sparks stuff. Ultimately I've decided I want something that can fasten to the belt, rest inside the pants, strong side high (preferably, for wear in vehicle) and is NOT attached to a huge slab of leather against the skin. Shoulder rigs are out of the question, as they require jackets or baggy shirts, and therefore are only good under limited circumstances. I won't always be wearing a jacket, but I WILL always be wearing pants.

I know this is a little late, but I just joined.

I use Crossbreed's SuperTuck. I carry a 1911 (Para GI Expert) model in jeans/shirt and suit w/jacket. Normally with the jeans I leave the shirt untucked. With a suit I tuck the shirt...obviously...and keep the jacket on at all times. For an IWB holster it works well compared to others and is fairly comfortable.

That flap of leather looks like it is going to generate heat and moisture between the skin and the holster. Am I wrong?

Right now I'm looking at these two:

http://www.desantisholster.com/stor...action=prepare_detail&itm_id=6364&itm_index=0

http://www.desantisholster.com/stor...ction=prepare_detail&itm_id=10961&itm_index=0

As I see it:

a. low price
b. very low profile, without excess material
c. thumb snap and belt loop to keep the weapon in the holster, and the holster stuck to my belt- at any angle or while running/moving, etc.
d. adjustable angle
e. usable in vehicle, but small enough to remove and stuff in the vehicle if I am entering a prohibited carry area.

Back