Coonskin Hat

Etype

Special Forces
Verified SOF
This goes in line with wanting to kill a deer with a homemade bow and arrow-

I really have a desire kill a coon this year (and instead of using it as coyote bait) and making a sweet hat out him (then use his skinless body as coyote bait).

I agree, I want one as well but my wife won't have it, she doesn't like that kind of thing.

I'm thinking I will back the leather with two layers of an old wool shirt. I'm going to start working on a pattern when it gets closer to the season. I want it to taper downward toward the back so it covers my ears. I've also never tanned anything myself, but it can't be too hard.

I had a coonskin cap when I was a kid and thought I was the coolest thing walking.

I didn't figure out till I was 12-13 that mountain man/Daniel Boone wasn't a viable career option. :hmm:

I'm thinking I will back the leather with two layers of an old wool shirt. I'm going to start working on a pattern when it gets closer to the season. I want it to taper downward toward the back so it covers my ears. I've also never tanned anything myself, but it can't be too hard.

Wool backing? Why? Flannel/cotton, satin, silk would be a hell of a lot more comfortable.
Let me know if you find an easy way to tan the skin that makes its nice and supple. Ive never had any luck getting the skins soft and pliable.

I didn't figure out till I was 12-13 that mountain man/Daniel Boone wasn't a viable career option. :hmm:

IT'S NOT!!!??? :-o :(

You may need two coons depending on the size you get, in which case you should overlap. PM if you need any help. I'm well versed in hillbilly attire :thumbsup:. Post pics when you get the job done!

I really have a desire kill a coon this year (and instead of using it as coyote bait) and making a sweet hat out him (then use his skinless body as coyote bait).

Excusez moi, monsieur, perhaps it is the language barrier, no? But how can you so casually plan a hate crime?!? :-x
What's next? Curing the meat with bath salts?

Oh.

Oh.

Ooooh.

Never mind...

gilda-radner-as-emily_litella-snl.jpg

Back