Cycling

Surprise twist to us biking today. After we rode the trails we jumped back in the car and went down to ride the boardwalk at the ocean front. We ended up dropping the bikes back off at the car and then walked to a restaurant on the water. In the hour and fifteen minutes we were in there, someone tried to steal my bike. We got home and when I took mine off the rack, the rear tire was disconnected. I luckily had put multiple locks on the bikes to prevent such a thing but didn't think it would actually happen.

'A lot of blood': Man dies while fleeing swooping magpie

A man has died while trying to avoid a swooping magpie in a park near Wollongong which has a history of attacks.

The 76-year-old was riding his bicycle in Woonona yesterday morning when the bird started to swoop so he rode off the path in an effort to escape.

He then crashed into a fence post, was thrown to the ground and suffered serious head injuries.

Locals performed CPR on him until an ambulance arrived, before he was airlifted to St George Hospital in a critical condition.

Despite medical efforts he died last night.

Local resident Jason Crosskey saw the accident and said the man looked to be in a "pretty bad way".

"There was quite a lot of blood," he said.

"I feel sorry for him, for something like that to happen is pretty alarming actually."
NSW Police are investigating the incident and a report will be prepared for the NSW coroner.

The man had been riding alongside Nicholson Park where locals say a particularly aggressive magpie has been a repeat offender.

The Magpie Alert website, which tracks swooping magpies across Australia, shows around eight attacks in the area.

you could try track cycling or velodrome cycling. It would probably be a better fit since your so big.
Those guys are absolute units.

you could try track cycling or velodrome cycling. It would probably be a better fit since your so big.
Those guys are absolute units.
Chris Hoy was a freak. Although most track cyclists are about the same height, he's got the average track cyclist by 40lbs easy. Most of the current US team are 6-0 to 6-2 and vary between 160 and 175 lbs.

Back