Cycling

Love to see this thread bumped. Tough year for me, typically I can attack hills. This year my thighs burn like crazy. Fuck.

Anyone out there cycle? Preferable road. Started about a month ago. Learning stuff on my own sucks. Example: made a 3 mm adjustment on my seat and now my nuts don't feel like someone hit them with a baseball bat after a 20 miler.
Yes, I do cycle. Love my bike. Couldn't run last month due to hip bursitis, so I spent all of August riding. It was winter where I am and I hate the cold. I quit at 300.56 miles when I got to my target mileage because I got tired of freezing fingers, the wind harassing me, and riding around wrapped up looking like a telly tubby.

As for the nuts-issue, it took me 3 years to convince my husband to ride because of this. My solution for him was full suspension and the cushiest seat the store had. I figured it was worth it. My husband has looked forward to his long rides ever since.

Tough year for me, typically I can attack hills. This year my thighs burn like crazy. Fuck.
I don't attack hills. I get off and push. :whatever:

I attained my pro mountain bike license right before I quit. Raced from 16-21. Kind of refreshing to see the (relatively) carefree riding on here, despite my own aversion to it now. If you don't already, mountain bike! Road riding is fun and good for training, but MTB is loads more fun (sometimes).

I attained my pro mountain bike license right before I quit. Raced from 16-21. Kind of refreshing to see the (relatively) carefree riding on here, despite my own aversion to it now. If you don't already, mountain bike! Road riding is fun and good for training, but MTB is loads more fun (sometimes).
Carefree? I am always trying to beat my times and distance.

Carefree? I am always trying to beat my times and distance.
(I assume) You aren't training specifically for cycling 15+ hours per week, following specific diets and periodized training plans, choosing specific races to peak for, spending too much money on equipment, traveling to races, and generally living your life around cycling. Heck, I'll even throw in shaving your legs. etc etc etc.

I said "relatively" for a reason. There's a difference. People ride for many reasons, just trying to participate in the thread.

I did some sprint triathlons many years ago, and although enjoy it for what it was, I realize I was never really going to get into triathlon big time so I sold my road bikes. I did some local mountain bike races and really enjoyed it, but for me riding was always recreational, never really got into the competition thing. But even recreationally, I was putting in 15, 20 hours a week in the saddle.

I did some sprint triathlons many years ago, and although enjoy it for what it was, I realize I was never really going to get into triathlon big time so I sold my road bikes. I did some local mountain bike races and really enjoyed it, but for me riding was always recreational, never really got into the competition thing. But even recreationally, I was putting in 15, 20 hours a week in the saddle.
That's impressive, but I'd argue that doesn't really count as recreational anymore. Most world tour pros are putting on 30 hours max in the winter, and probably around 20 during the season. You can be competitive riding 6-8 hours per week if you train correctly, but I'm sure you know that by having a triathlon background and all. Those guys train a LOT.

That's impressive, but I'd argue that doesn't really count as recreational anymore. Most world tour pros are putting on 30 hours max in the winter, and probably around 20 during the season. You can be competitive riding 6-8 hours per week if you train correctly, but I'm sure you know that by having a triathlon background and all. Those guys train a LOT.

yeah, triathletes train all the freaking time. I have a co-worker who does the Ironman, he does one full Ironman a year, two halves, and then about five other smaller triathlons. His training schedule is crazy.

I never got into serious training, I just rode, a lot. I did it just for the fun of it that's why I say I was just recreational. Never really followed anything diet-wise or any kind of training schedule.

When I was at my peak of riding I was a paramedic and close to one of our stations there was about 20 miles of trails, I would get off work at 0600, change clothes and hit the trails for about 3 hours. I did that almost every day, and when I was on days I would ride an hour and a half in the morning, an hour or two after work.

(I assume) You aren't training specifically for cycling 15+ hours per week, following specific diets and periodized training plans, choosing specific races to peak for, spending too much money on equipment, traveling to races, and generally living your life around cycling. Heck, I'll even throw in shaving your legs. etc etc etc.

I said "relatively" for a reason. There's a difference. People ride for many reasons, just trying to participate in the thread.
Well, I'm dieting decently. Running a lot...but when I peak for my 70.3 training I'm probably gonna be at 8 hours of cycling/week.

I'm looking at getting back into mountain biking this year. I'd forgotten how expensive it can be and the tech has changed so much in the last 12 years. Unreal what they're producing today.

Anyone have any experience with 1x drives on an MTB?

I'm looking at getting back into mountain biking this year. I'd forgotten how expensive it can be and the tech has changed so much in the last 12 years. Unreal what they're producing today.

Anyone have any experience with 1x drives on an MTB?

Yep. Built one in my garage on a Chromag Aperture frame a few years back. Less maintenance and with a 1x11ish set up, I have enough range to ride pretty much anything I encounter.

Yep. Built one in my garage on a Chromag Aperture frame a few years back. Less maintenance and with a 1x11ish set up, I have enough range to ride pretty much anything I encounter.

FL trails are flow followed with short, sharp climbs. I'm trying to gauge how a 1x and/ or 29''er will work under those circumstances. I want a 1x, but I'm not sold on a 29. A 27+ is a maybe, but everything I'm reading says the sidewalls are a bit weak. I cut my teeth on a 26 and haven't sat on a bike in over a decade, so I'm probably overthinking my options.

Funny thing this thread. Two years ago I bought a mountain bike. Yesterday, shortly after this thread was bumped, my wife found the receipt. Oops! Ml

FL trails are flow followed with short, sharp climbs. I'm trying to gauge how a 1x and/ or 29''er will work under those circumstances. I want a 1x, but I'm not sold on a 29. A 27+ is a maybe, but everything I'm reading says the sidewalls are a bit weak. I cut my teeth on a 26 and haven't sat on a bike in over a decade, so I'm probably overthinking my options.

I've got a 29er. Took me a few rides to get used to it, but now I wonder how I ever rode anything smaller (that's what she said). The thing climbs like a goat.

Last edited:

Trails here in Indiana are similar unless you’re in the southern part of the state.

I still ride a 26er, mainly because of the deal I got on the Chromag frame and the number of parts/accessories for a 26er I had sitting around the garage at the time. The next bike will most likely be a 27.5. Find a shop that will let you test ride each and go from there.

Back