Cycling

Anyone here ride any single tracks? Looking at getting a mountain bike for single tracks. I have it narrowed down to a Specialized Hard Rock or a Diamondback Overdrive.

Finally upgraded to carbon fiber: 61cm Trek Emonda SL5 2016. And never lookin back.

Went from 18mph avg on my vintage 90s vintage Trek 1400 58cm aluminum, to 23mph on my last 40 miler.

For anyone who runs aerobars: I threw them on this weekend and it was my first time using them, I went significantly slower and my quads were more fatigued than usual. Is that normal for your first time using em? There was also a pretty good wind going as I was riding near the coast line/beach. I'll have to try to highway and see if I get the same effect

Anyone here ride any single tracks? Looking at getting a mountain bike for single tracks. I have it narrowed down to a Specialized Hard Rock or a Diamondback Overdrive.
Are you talking new or used? If you're jumping right into single track I would highly recommend used. Its all preference. Whatever one feels more comfortable initially. If you're really going after it out there you're going to replace parts pretty regularly. It's not like a car where certain brands are more expensive to repair. You're essentially paying for a frame and whatever combination of other components the company decides to throw on it. If I had to choose I would say Specialized. Purely based on price.
If you decide to go used I HIGHLY recommend a Raleigh Mojave 8.0. Cheap. Well rounded and durable. Mine has fought a lot of trees and lived. Average price around 250$.

I have been looking at craigslist plus ebay and a few local pawn shops looking for used bikes for about a month now. Problem is finding a large frame. I'm over 6' so a medium just won't cut it. I'm wary of a lot of things on ebay, plus factoring shipping costs and I'm just better off buying new from my LBS.

The Specialized has an excellent rep. Relatively inexpensive, but generally can take a pounding.

I have been looking at craigslist plus ebay and a few local pawn shops looking for used bikes for about a month now. Problem is finding a large frame. I'm over 6' so a medium just won't cut it. I'm wary of a lot of things on ebay, plus factoring shipping costs and I'm just better off buying new from my LBS.
Ya I see your problem there. Check out some 29ers. The price point is a bit higher, but you'd be super comfortable. They're big bikes. :thumbsup:

It is going to cost you but look at Zinn Cycle. I bought a KHS 747 3XL road bike. It was not cheap but worth it. I almost quit because I was in so much pain because of someone sizing me wrong.

I have been riding for years. My goal is to break 1k miles each season, and realistic riding weather is early May til about late October - so far so good! I've got a 20 mile and 35 mile route of paved bike trails out my back yard, so access to trails is never an excuse. Started doing the MS150 last year and was grateful to learn of chamois shorts AND Chamois Buttr. For the long rides I smear that shit in every nook and cranny about ever 20 miles or so. Five years ago I went from stirrups to clipping in, I'll never go back!

Bought my Bianchi Eros nearly 10 years ago - a few sets of tires and two chain changes later and it is still as good as new!

upload_2016-7-25_13-35-12.png

I very rarely use the butter. I prefer to build up calluses on my nut sac. Bibs + chamois are a awesome. I had problems early on buying cheap bibs. Learned quick about good and bad chamois.

I invested in my first "good" pair of shorts with the chamois pads built in. Funny you should post this now because tonight was my first ride without the added buttr.

Did just a short (but fast) 15 miles and feel great. Tomorrow I will do the 25 mile rout and see how I feel. Would be great if I didn't have to smear the stuff on every time I ride, but I really f'd myself up once. Never again!

I invested in my first "good" pair of shorts with the chamois pads built in. Funny you should post this now because tonight was my first ride without the added buttr.

Did just a short (but fast) 15 miles and feel great. Tomorrow I will do the 25 mile rout and see how I feel. Would be great if I didn't have to smear the stuff on every time I ride, but I really f'd myself up once. Never again!
My first couple of times I just rode in gym shorts....oh god did that suck. Try bibs with sewn in chamois. I think they are better than shorts. Shorts seem to move around to much for me and I will get hot spots.
I own a couple pairs of these Men's P.R.O. In-R-Cool® Bib Short | Pearlizumi

Thanks for that @Polar Bear - Pearlizumi is the brand of shorts I bought, never even considered the bibs...til now.

For me personally, so far so good in the shorts, and no hotspots...but tonight was the first without adding the Buttr. I've only used one set of the shorts, am going to go back tomorrow and see if I can exchange the 2nd set towards bibs.

I ride a ton, or at least did until two months ago when I started training up for another longer distance trail race. If you know what fits you, hit Craigslist hard. There are always those who spend a ton on a good bike and two years later sell it for cheap after it sits in the garage taking up space. Another good source for used bikes is www.pinkbike.com. Otherwise find a decent local bike shop who doesn't push the most expensive bike and caters to you as a customer. When it comes to mountain bikes you will mostly see tire sizes 27.5 and 29 inches, in addition to your frame sizes. There are still shops out there that carry 26ers as well. Test ride each and see how they feel. Compare prices on bikes and the cost of service at different shops that sell the same brands. There is a difference.

My last bike was a 2006 Specialized Hardrock comp disc that I rode the hell out of and replaced components as they gave out. The Hardrocks of today are not the same quality as 10 years ago. My current bike is still a work in progress that I built from the frame up in the garage. Purchased the frame at a killer price from Chromag and basically built it from parts.

2014 Chromag Aperture, medium frame with 26" wheels.

View attachment 16173

What do you guys use for gloves? I've gone thru a number a different types, and now use a really nice leather pair but still get some nasty sores on the outside of my hands - as I think out loud, I wonder if after all these years of using the Chamois Butter has made my hands too soft for riding. Damn...I hate the sores I am going to get until my hands toughen up again.

They are American cut (loose) not Europen. They would fit you fine. I have never found a Europen cut to fit me right.
I'm sure they'd fit me. But last time I checked, I'm not a dude....I got big boobies. ;)

Back