Cycling

Picked up a Single Speed 29er from Nashbar a month ago. Extremely budget friendly and was easy to assemble myself. Lately I've been going in the trails which would be considered cross country trails I assume.

I was considering a road bike but I wouldn't use it.
Why would you not use it?

Why would you not use it?

Road bikes just don't appeal to me for various reasons, wasn't looking for a bike to exercise with or commute. Couple that with pretty bad roadways here it wouldn't be that enjoyable. Hell, even the paved bike path isn't all that nice to ride on a mountain bike.

Only enjoy going into the woods bike trails when it's nice out.

20161023_154703.jpg Been staring at this the past four or five times I've been out. Finally said fuck it today and just went for it. First time made it up but then stopped as I couldn't see the wood down ramp part. That's when I took this pic. Second time made it clean through. Third try didn't even make it up the tube. Decided that was enough for today.

View attachment 16939 Been staring at this the past four or five times I've been out. Finally said fuck it today and just went for it. First time made it up but then stopped as I couldn't see the wood down ramp part. That's when I took this pic. Second time made it clean through. Third try didn't even make it up the tube. Decided that was enough for today.

It made get be easier going the other way.

It crossed my mind to try it that way, but I didn't trust myself on the two-tiered ramp. As odd as that sounds.

Sounds about right. I wonder if the creator of that obstacle didn't have more dirt on the ramp as there's probably not much traction available on the cement.

The lead there is a short down hill ride with about a 2' kicker. It wouldn't suprise me if originally there was more dirt there. The park is several years old and the jumps are all showing their age and lack of use. Not the best picture but you can see the deterioration of some of the jumps in this picture. Next time I'm there I'll pull some of the tarps off on the bigger jumps and look at them. Just judging from the areas around them though they aren't usable. I would have died as a kid when I was big into BMX to have a park like this near me. 20161023_151548.jpg

I've got an airdyne that I do the same workout on about three times a week.

I warm up for 10 minutes with my HRM on and try to maintain about 140 BPM. Then I do one Tabata (20 secs on, 10 off x8). Then I just try to keep the pedals moving for a 10 minute cool down. It's fucking brutal.

Jumped on my road bike today for the first time in ages. My knee acted upon around mile seven and I was forced to return back to home. Still was able to manage around 15.5mph with 19 mph sustained gusts of wind. I love getting out on it, but I think the next time I'll stretch much longer before hand and also drive some where out in the sticks to go riding. Virginia Beach drivers don't give a rats ass for bike riders.

Nice. It's too bad there isn't a crew out there working to maintain the trails.

There is a local mpuntain bike group that does a fantastic job at keeping the trails clear and clean. However the park is small and most people head up to Williamsburg for the two different parks up there. Below is one of the trails from last weekend up there. They have a trail that's heavy in TTF's.

20161030_125028.jpg

I think BMX is not big around here which leads to not many using those jumps. I would have loved to have a pump track like they have there as a kid/teenager.

Nice! On maintaining the jumps, it could also be that whoever owns the park isn't up for the liability if someone gets hurt on jumps or other man made obstacles on the trail.

Coming off a painful shin injury. First ride in a month.

Temp = 88 degrees
Humidity = off the charts
Riding partner = 14 year old boy
Distance = 10 miles
Time = 45 minutes

Results = I got smoked. The boy outpaced me by about 100 yards the whole ride.

Note to self - it's a lot easier to stay in shape than to get back into shape.

Coming off a painful shin injury. First ride in a month.

Temp = 88 degrees
Humidity = off the charts
Riding partner = 14 year old boy
Distance = 10 miles
Time = 45 minutes

Results = I got smoked. The boy outpaced me by about 100 yards the whole ride.

Note to self - it's a lot easier to stay in shape than to get back into shape.

I was wondering about your Lower Tibia injury?

I was wondering about your Lower Tibia injury?

Not broken, chipped, or cracked. I bruised it. Holy freeking crap did that hurt, and the wound itself was infected pretty bad. Got put on 10 days of Cephalexin (4x/day) and light duty.

Pretty much healed up and scabbed over now....

Screen Shot 2017-06-14 at 3.58.20 PM.png

Back