Cycling

What do you guys use for gloves? I've gone thru a number a different types, and now use a really nice leather pair but still get some nasty sores on the outside of my hands - as I think out loud, I wonder if after all these years of using the Chamois Butter has made my hands too soft for riding. Damn...I hate the sores I am going to get until my hands toughen up again.

I used to have a pair of Gary Fisher padded half-gloves; now I use Mechanix Wear.

I ride a Gary Fisher hardtail X-Caliber, circa 1996. Nice steel frame, real brakes #whatsadisc? :)

I love that bike...ahhh, the skinned legs, the separated shoulder, the open wounds....I love me some single track....

I've been using a pair of Fox gloves for years and have never had an issue.

I ride a Gary Fisher hardtail X-Caliber, circa 1996. Nice steel frame, real brakes #whatsadisc? :)

You cannot beat a steel frame. The Chromag I posted earlier is steel and it's lighter than most other frames, aside from carbon.

As for real brakes, I'll keep the hydraulic disc. Real stopping power! :D After having V brakes, mechanical disc and hydraulic disc, I love the hydraulics. If you service them right and clean them when needed, there's no issue.

Observation one:
Got my 1k miles in already, been a great summer for biking!

upload_2016-8-14_15-7-15.png

Observation two:
Took a new route today and found this sign. Somehow knowing that the electrical field is "within state guidelines" does not give me the warm fuzzies I am likely supposed to feel.

upload_2016-8-14_15-5-47.png

Observation one:
Got my 1k miles in already, been a great summer for biking!

View attachment 16295

Observation two:
Took a new route today and found this sign. Somehow knowing that the electrical field is "within state guidelines" does not give me the warm fuzzies I am likely supposed to feel.

View attachment 16294

"Static Electricity" they say:-o; hair raising:sneaky:.

Seems you got through it. Did you notice anything unusual?

Silly me, @Ooh-Rah, is unusual;-).

I picked up a 29er mountain bike over the weekend. Found a place about 15 minutes from my house to ride through the woods and over a few TTF's. I learned real quick that speed is your friend. Feels pretty weird at first to have such a high center of gravity.

I attempted a mountain bike ride of Backbone Trail in California with a buddy who rode it often. "Nice and slow pace," he said.

This was my state of being on a semi-regular basis:

View attachment 16539

Haha. I'm sure I'll end up with some new great material for the "here's how I got this scar" stories. I have a nice scar on my shin from my BMX bike pedal as a teenager after a failed tailwhip off a 6' kicker.

Suffered my first crash today. Was rolling along a 4' high wooden bridge and crashed off it just about at the end of the damn thing. Tried to save it by riding a wheelie off it but wound up landing on my front wheel and hit landed squarely on my head. Thank God for helmets.

Thank God for helmets.

I am shocked at the number of riders I see racing the paved trails well in excess of 20 MPH.

To add...I am equally perplexed by the parents I see towing their babies/kids in those attachable carts...and the kids are not wearing helmets. But the bike rider is.

When I used to ride my road bike on really hot days I was guilty of not wearing a helmet. I wouldn't do that now.

As for the kids not wearing helmets, shame on the parents.

Color me not impressed.

I guess I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to bikes, but in my mind it is a record with an * since she was towed up til 90MPH -

This weekend I had my bike touching 40 MPH (stupid, by the way) and it was a bit nerve racking. I give the woman props for bravery, but she didn't naturally exceed 147 MPH.

Initially, Mueller’s bike was attached to the slightly-modified Land Rover SVR pace car, which towed her to approximately 90 miles per hour before she released the tether and continued to pedal behind the car. A tail fairing was attached to the Land Rover, creating a small pocket that shielded Mueller from wind resistance as she continued to increase her speed.

Picked up a Single Speed 29er from Nashbar a month ago. Extremely budget friendly and was easy to assemble myself. Lately I've been going in the trails which would be considered cross country trails I assume.

I was considering a road bike but I wouldn't use it.

Back