Disaster Preparedness.

To add to the above, a small generator would be useful to power a fridge, some lights & other appliances.

I am replacing my old Craftsman 8kw portable this year. It will run almost everything necessary in the House, including the well and whole house filtration/UV light. It's not enough for the hot water and the range. So, I was thinking of a larger propane one with an auto switch. But also dual fuels, in case propane is harder to get.

To add to the above, a small generator would be useful to power a fridge, some lights & other appliances.

We are in farm country and have an electric well-pump which goes when we lose power. I've been putting off getting a generator because of the expense...but we lost power for 8 days during Hurricane Irma and could've used one. Other expenses seem to crop up and take precedence.

Last edited:
I am replacing my old Craftsman 8kw portable this year. It will run almost everything necessary in the House, including the well and whole house filtration/UV light. It's not enough for the hot water and the range. So, I was thinking of a larger propane one with an auto switch. But also dual fuels, in case propane is harder to get.
Not dual fuel but I’ve seen some detailed inspection in support of the Harbor Freight inverter generator being functionally identical to the much more expensive Honda equivalent.

We lose power during tropical storms/hurricanes and ice storms. Those are our big two. For my family we categorize in two areas: these (normal, weather), and extra-normal (downtown riots/BLM, societal BS, etc.).

For the first, propane for the grill, a small charcoal grill with extra bags of charcoal, chlorine for water (we have a well; no power, no water), dry foodstuffs/easy to prep food, chem lites, batteries, full tank of gas, candles/matches. For these events we don't need to evacuate, we shelter in place.

For the second, ingress/egress routes, really. We've had some small, sporty riots but nothing we could not handle just by knowing where to drive.

It does illustrate an issue with the water ideas here though. Tablets will not take something like latex out of a water source.
Fucking dumb asses around here panic buying water like it was 2020 shit paper.
Emergency preparedness isn't always enough for the black swan incident.

Back