Does AD or NG have the opportunity to attend more schools/special training?

ItachiTX

Unverified
I am currently working with a recruiter from the 19th SFG for a reserve 18 X-ray contract. However, I have recently been considering pursuing the AD contract instead.
I would like to know whether someone on an AD or NG ODA would be able to attend more schools/special training.

Ideally, I would like to be a "guard bum." I have a flexible civilian job and would like to attend as much special training (high-speed or mundane) as my team requires/allows. How would this compare to the training/schools attended by someone on an AD ODA?

Thank you

If it's all about 'special' schools and training without being a productive and reliable team member, I'd ask you to NOT even think about SF. I don't want you on my team.

Sorry, that's the truth. If you require the training, or are advancing and the school will help, or your Team/Company/Battalion needs somebody to attend for staffing needs... that's one thing, if it's just to pad the 214 or fill out the bling ring... well, get stuffed.

I thought you were a college senior? I thought you would be sick of schools and eager to deploy to foreign lands instead. My friends tell me Afghanistan is great this time of year. Bonus points: everyone there jumped on the face coverings train way before we did so they are well postured against COVID19.

If it's all about 'special' schools and training without being a productive and reliable team member, I'd ask you to NOT even think about SF. I don't want you on my team.

Sorry, that's the truth. If you require the training, or are advancing and the school will help, or your Team/Company/Battalion needs somebody to attend for staffing needs... that's one thing, if it's just to pad the 214 or fill out the bling ring... well, get stuffed.

Understood.

I'm not interested in schools, special or otherwise, for the sake of my own ego. Rather, I'd be more than willing to attend any types of schools in the interest of Team/Company/Battalion staffing requirements to further support the Team/Company/Battalion. I was curious as to whether someone in AD or NG would have greater opportunities to attend such schools. Ultimately my goal is SF and the answer has a limited bearing on my decision, it is more a point of curiosity.

While I stated that the "guard bum" lifestyle appeals to me due to the flexibility of my civilian job, if this perspective is incorrect, shallow, or harmful please let me know -- I welcome the reality check. I want to be the best SF soldier I can be, and appreciate any necessary paradigm shifts.

Thank you.

You will have to earn schools. If you just get terminally assigned to training, you're probably a shitbag, but not even good enough of a shitbag to get shitcanned, and they're just keeping you from getting your team killed. This is not a joke.

Makes sense, thank you.

You will have to earn schools. If you just get terminally assigned to training, you're probably a shitbag, but not even good enough of a shitbag to get shitcanned, and they're just keeping you from getting your team killed. This is not a joke.
Very true...at one point, I had a company sergeant major who had been to every school an SF guy could get...he went to Ranger School when his team went on an MTT to Thailand...he went to the NCO academy (back when it was sort of optional) when his team went on their first MTT to Vietnam...he had gone to the Forest Service Smoke Jumpers' course, HALO, SCUBA, et...all to keep him from being a liability down range...he could pass a school, but he lacked a good deal of common sense...but he wound up being fast-tracked for promotion because of all the schools he had been to...he did eventually make it to Vietnam, but not with SF...and he was so well respected, his nickname was "Sally"...don't be like Sally...

Back