Domestic Terrorism, Lone Wolf Attacks etc...

This does not include the U.S. travelers who have sealed complaints/indictments and Interpol Red Notices that are not in custody and currently in conflict countries. Hopefully these will be either killed or captured on the battlefield, or caught fleeing.

Also, this is only ISIL related charges too.

There's a lot of stuff in that link.

I have to wonder how much more there is?

Days of reading probably. Most of these cases never get reported and just add to the misunderstanding of the actual threat. I think it's even worse in Canada, only the major stories get coverage and most here were stopped before any major threat to the public. A lot of Canadians don't think there's a threat here at all but as most of us know the security apparatus in North America has been working overtime for well over a decade.

I've almost finished it & I'm sure the authors aren't dodging the issue when they cannot find a unifying factor, its the silver bullet for this sort of radicalism. Try Islam.
Secondly, there's also a loose proposal that one factor is that graduate engineers are drawn to extreme Islam due to having to work with finding finite conclusions, unlike social science & humanities study where there are variables. My own comparison with study and my dive into the Koran lead me to concur here & it does have finite answers for those of that persuasion, though I'm not one of them.
Third, mentioned are other radical strains, white supremacy being one & it's mentioned in passing & such groups as the Weather Underground would stand as a good example.

I've almost finished it & I'm sure the authors aren't dodging the issue when they cannot find a unifying factor, its the silver bullet for this sort of radicalism. Try Islam.
Secondly, there's also a loose proposal that one factor is that graduate engineers are drawn to extreme Islam due to having to work with finding finite conclusions, unlike social science & humanities study where there are variables. My own comparison with study and my dive into the Koran lead me to concur here & it does have finite answers for those of that persuasion, though I'm not one of them.
Third, mentioned are other radical strains, white supremacy being one & it's mentioned in passing & such groups as the Weather Underground would stand as a good example.

You may be right about the correlation between engineering and Islam. And a great many Muslim students in the US are engineering majors.

I've often wondered about that--beyond the obvious that some come from underdeveloped countries and want to help their countries modernize--with some lingering suspicion that there could also be some sinister motives related to jihad.

The role call of engineers at the top end is impressive, civil (OBL & KSM), electrical (Ramzi Yousef), engineering & computing (Imam Samudra of Jamaah Islamiya) and others is enough to make one stop and consider it. Most undergrads would not though, be in the mix as most Muslims aren't either. It's only a very small percentage of the conservative faction which remain a threat.

This is an example of one of the (many) reasons the "they just need jobs!" trope falls apart when it comes to radical Islam. Many of the leaders, and foot soldiers, are highly educated. They could have a job if they wanted it. But they choose a different path.

I typically hate Bill Maher but him and his guest Sam Harris are not wrong. It's refreshing to see a Liberal speak the truth.

Here's the interview where he explains his thoughts without interruption.

Here's where Sam Harris was on the panel and was constantly interrupted by the other guest's, especially Ben Affleck.

Thought this was a fascinating and very germane article from the NYT today: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/04/...0170205&nl=todaysheadlines&nlid=41336949&_r=0

For the IC and LE communities I think there are a lot of implications to this 'lone wolf' threat we haven't really started coming to terms with. The analogy I've thought of - as imperfect as any analogy - is the threat of recruited agents on foreign soil. During the Cold War an agent usually had to be recruited and communicated with through some intermediary in-person - something no longer necessary with the internet and telecommunications. Also, the value of recruiting an agent had to do with their placement, access, and accessibility - their proximity to the information you want, their ability to secure the information, and your ability to maintain contact with them without unacceptable risk to your operatives. Now, placement and access for ISIS and affiliated groups is really just the will to carry out attacks - something they hone through the recruitment process.

The similarity to me is the fact we're talking about an extremely small group of people - a percentage of the population, or even religious/ethnic population that's a fraction of a percent. Even at the height of the Cold War internal security forces behind the iron curtain weren't catching spies by beefing up patrols and checking IDs - though they were harassing the shit out of their populations fueling discontent. Operatives were being caught through sophisticated and targeted counterintelligence operations - something that requires significant knowledge of your adversary and their infrastructure, something that might be harder if the first inkling you got of it you shut down their website or JDAM'd the building they're working in.

A key difference to me is the recruitment process itself. It used to be the signs of recruitment were best spotted/analyzed by experienced folks in the IC - since that was their world (FBI CI as part of the IC in this scenario) but ISIS and affiliated recruitment seems to have more in common with internet sexual or financial predators - using the same techniques of spotting, grooming, isolating, and recruiting.

I think if we're taking this threat seriously the IC and LE communities will need to invest heavily in a different set of tools, accesses, techniques, and structure in order to combat the threat. I think broad shifts in immigration or policy towards groups of people may have other costs/benefits but will be limited to useless in really combatting this threat.

Last edited:
Ummm… the Marines are asking the same question I’m asking, how am I just hearing about this now?

Military hid attempted Quantico base breach by Jordanians from Marines for two weeks: source

FREDERICKSBURG, Virginia — Top brass at Marine Corps Base Quantico didn’t alert rank-and-file personnel of an attempted breach by two Jordanian nationals in a box truck until two weeks after it happened, The Post can reveal.

The incident occurred May 3, when the two men approached Fuller Road Gate of the Marine base, were stopped for screening, and attempted to ram their way in but were stopped by military sentries.

Ummm… the Marines are asking the same question I’m asking, how am I just hearing about this now?
Well, at least that explains the ID card checks and overall tightened security here. Be nice if they'd've bothered to tell the rest of us. Also be nice to see when and how the one-off dude who didn't have a VA driver's license got here.

Military hid attempted Quantico base breach by Jordanians from Marines for two weeks: source

FREDERICKSBURG, Virginia — Top brass at Marine Corps Base Quantico didn’t alert rank-and-file personnel of an attempted breach by two Jordanian nationals in a box truck until two weeks after it happened, The Post can reveal.

The incident occurred May 3, when the two men approached Fuller Road Gate of the Marine base, were stopped for screening, and attempted to ram their way in but were stopped by military sentries.

Funny...a box truck. WTF was in the box truck? Enterprise or Hertz were out of Camrys so they were upgraded to a box truck?

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but since this took place on the property of a US Army soldier I thought I would drop it here. This incident apparently occurred back on May 3rd. I just noticed a small blurb on the New York Post at the bottom of a page. Not the front page.
Maybe it's just me, but seems like the deceased's family is full of details and a bit little dramatic? You be the judge.

Utility worker shot, killed by Fort Liberty soldier outside Carthage home, authorities say

A Fort Liberty soldier shot and killed a utility worker he believed was trespassing outside his home in Moore County, authorities say.
According to the Moore County Sheriff's Office, around 8:15 p.m. on May 3, deputies were called to a home on Dowd Road in Carthage.
A caller inside the home dialed 911 to report a trespasser, reporting a man was taking photos on his property. The caller said the man had been "aggressive" with another resident of the home, according to the sheriff's office.
Deputies responded and found Ramzan Daraev, 35, from Chicago, dead from a gunshot wound.
According to the sheriff's office, Daraev, reported to be a subcontractor for Utilities One, was not wearing identification or a uniform, and he didn't have any equipment with him. Deputies had to confirm his identity through family members and an international identification inside his vehicle.
The man who fired shots is a Fort Liberty soldier with the special operations unit, according to the U.S. Army. It is unclear if he will face charges.
Officials said all involved parties have been cooperative with the investigation.
A spokesperson from Fort Liberty released the following statement:
“We are aware of the incident in Carthage involving a USASOC soldier. This incident remains under investigation. Per policy, we do not comment on active investigations to protect the process’ integrity. We appreciate the dedication of the Moore County Sheriff’s Department as they investigate.”
Then the family weighs in with a Change.org petition. Sign the Petition
Daraev Ramzan, 35, a native of Chechnya. Of chechen nationality. On May 3, 2024, while doing his work in the city of Carthage, North Carolina, on Dowd Rd., was killed in cold blood by the inhabitant of the city near the place, where Ramzan was photographing a report of he’s completed work.
Ramzan was not armed and did not show any aggression towards the killer. At the place, where report of the completed work were taken by Ramzan, the inhabitant confronted him on the curbside, armed with a firearm and found him working, when suddenly decided to take he's life. For an unknown reason, this man fired several shots and brutally took the life of Ramzan, who was 35 years old and had big plans for his future life. Ramzan left Russia, not realizing that the greatest injustice against him would be done in a free country, where, in theory, he should have received protection.
The police arrived at the scene at 08.15 pm and found a bloodied Ramzan, who was already dead before the police arrived. No hot or cold weapons were found on Ramzan. We are Ramzan's family, we ask you to support this petition so that the culprit in Ramzan's death receives the deserved punishment. The police, after a short interview with the killer, released the killer home, who, with a sense of fulfilled duty, continues to live and enjoy his life. We ask the United States community to support and promote this petition.
The killer of Ramzan made 4 shots towards Ramzan, shots that hit him in different parts of he’s body. One of the bullets hit the hand, two in his back and one, which we see as “the last one” was made in the face.

What was the purpose of firing 4 shots towards an unarmed person, who’s obviously running away, otherwise bullets wouldn’t hit Ramzan in the back.
Based on these facts, we see this murder as a planned and cold-blooded massacre. Finishing off with an additional shot to the face is an obvious fact that the killer did not want to leave him alive, since a dead person is less of a problem than a living one.

Back