Duke and SOCOM/SFMS

Devildoc

Verified Military
About a year ago my boss approached me and asked me to do what I had to do to establish relationships at the Joint Special Operations Medical School/Special Operations Medical Group at Ft. Bragg and have our institution, Duke, be a host facility for clinical education for the medic/corpsman students. My boss being a vice president of the health system, I saluted and said "aye, aye, ma'am." (not really....I just said "okie doke").

Since last February I have been down there several times, on Zoom calls many times, hosted their staff/faculty. I am pleased to say our contract is finally completed and now at JAG for review. We anticipate first students in February or March.

Along the way I have hosted some of their folks in Advanced Trauma Life Support, ED experiences, and hyperbaric experiences, and we're discussing a handful of journal articles and joint education ventures. And, I have made some new friends.

If people ask me if I have ever had a job that I loved, I would say, this is it.

TLDR20

Verified SOF
This is rad for you. Sucks for the studs tdy though. How is your anesthesia department with this? At VCU they gave us the cold shoulder until their chief got back from vacation. His dad was a SOG GB and he personally took me to every starting room to intubate. Unfortunately sometimes CRNA’s can be the worst about this.

Devildoc

Verified Military
This is rad for you. Sucks for the studs tdy though. How is your anesthesia department with this? At VCU they gave us the cold shoulder until their chief got back from vacation. His dad was a SOG GB and he personally took me to every starting room to intubate. Unfortunately sometimes CRNA’s can be the worst about this.

One of the big players in anesthesia, his wife is a coworker, so through her I educated him. He got them on board, including the CRNAs. They are pretty excited.

Ironically, the emergency department wants nothing to do with this. But urgent care is all over it. And one of the biggest supporters? Orthopedics.

TLDR20

Verified SOF
One of the big players in anesthesia, his wife is a coworker, so through her I educated him. He got them on board, including the CRNAs. They are pretty excited.

Ironically, the emergency department wants nothing to do with this. But urgent care is all over it. And one of the biggest supporters? Orthopedics.

Have you thought about trying to get the ED directors to the current sites or down to the JSOMTC to witness the training?

Devildoc

Verified Military
Have you thought about trying to get the ED directors to the current sites or down to the JSOMTC to witness the training?

A few years ago we had a shit-hot but ego-loving trauma surgeon, he tried something like this, under him. He pissed all over the ED, told the ED what the students would and wouldn't do. He left for another job and the program fell apart. ED leadership hasn't forgotten, despite my frequent offers to explain why this is different.

policemedic

Verified SWAT

My experience in training was the opposite, but that may reflect a better understanding of what a paramedic is vs an 18D, or just better buy-in by clinical faculty. The CRNAs and anesthesiologists were all about teaching, and our students got their fair share of tubes, other airways, and other skills. It may have helped that the hospital I trained in and that I sent my students to later on was a knife and gun club of the first order, with no shortage of trauma or surgical cases.

I think that Duke's program will see greater commitment from the reticent departments once they see what the students bring to the table.

TLDR20

Verified SOF
My experience in training was the opposite, but that may reflect a better understanding of what a paramedic is vs an 18D, or just better buy-in by clinical faculty. The CRNAs and anesthesiologists were all about teaching, and our students got their fair share of tubes, other airways, and other skills. It may have helped that the hospital I trained in and that I sent my students to later on was a knife and gun club of the first order, with no shortage of trauma or surgical cases.

I think that Duke's program will see greater commitment from the reticent departments once they see what the students bring to the table.

I think at VCU it was the residents more than anyone. Shoot this was 15 years ago now.

Devildoc

Verified Military
@policemedic , I am hopeful about your comment regarding once the students are in place the ED (and maybe some other departments) will see the quality and warm up to the idea.

Right now the departments we have on board are very enthusiastic, which is very helpful. The providers are becoming vocal champions of this and will spread the gospel to their colleagues.

I'm also excited about the other second and third order effects. We have some folks who will go down and do some guest teaching, and we will have some of their folks come up to do some teaching as well. Some collaborative writing for journal articles. We are in conversations with the PA school about having preferential acceptance.

TLDR20

Verified SOF
@policemedic , I am hopeful about your comment regarding once the students are in place the ED (and maybe some other departments) will see the quality and warm up to the idea.

Right now the departments we have on board are very enthusiastic, which is very helpful. The providers are becoming vocal champions of this and will spread the gospel to their colleagues.

I'm also excited about the other second and third order effects. We have some folks who will go down and do some guest teaching, and we will have some of their folks come up to do some teaching as well. Some collaborative writing for journal articles. We are in conversations with the PA school about having preferential acceptance.

If you could do what UNCG and UNC do and actually give credit for SOCM and SFMS that would be awesome.

Devildoc

Verified Military
If you could do what UNCG and UNC do and actually give credit for SOCM and SFMS that would be awesome.

That is the plan with the PA school (What we are after). I'd be curious to know what the nursing school would do given that it is an accelerated BSN.