Duty Weapon

F

Firosche

I am debating what to get for a new duty weapon. This is for Law Enforcement. We are allowed to choose any pistol that is 9mm or bigger. I personally like the 40 cal S&W. Any suggestions?

Are you restricted to type of operation ?? DA/SA, SA only, DAO, DAK etc ??

If I had to trust my life every day of the week in your line of work then I'd seriously consider the Sig P226 in 9mm or .40 Smith in the DA/SA trigger config.

I'd also trust my life with the H&K USP full size. You can carry it any condition you want. DA/SA, SA cocked and locked, condition three etc.

Safariland has about any holster config you could desire for both of these weapons.

If Price was a considering factor, I'd get the USP.., if it wasn't the Sig.

Ok....

I have looked at the Sig P226 before. I once carried that when I was in the jail. Infact my first time handling any pistol was when I qualified with it. I shot a 98% on my first day. I was pretty excited.:cool::cool: Not only was it my first time with a hand gun, but I shot an instructor percentage which is 95%. I dont have much expierence with the USP. Money is kinda a factor until I get my Tax returns.:) Seems like most people here are running with the Glock 22 which is the 40 cal. But I dont really care for them. Anyways, keep up the advise, every little bit helps.

Thanks all.

Yeah tax time will help out, not to mention th stimulus package aka buy a gun fund.

I am debating what to get for a new duty weapon. This is for Law Enforcement. We are allowed to choose any pistol that is 9mm or bigger. I personally like the 40 cal S&W. Any suggestions?

Too many choices! Do you have a pref what you like? Everyone is just going to throw out their favorite brand at you with a question so general. General answer is, you would not go wrong with any of the major brands: HK, Sig, Glock, etc, so things like ergonomics, price, type of trigger you prefer, etc, have to help narrow down the choices here.

Give me a good 1911 anyday.....:)

Just get a Glock 22, that’s what most other cops buy. Maybe what ever is the most used by the surrounding departments. That way if you get in a gunfight, you can swap ammo between other cops! Sig and HK are great guns, but the HK can be a pain in the ass if you are not use to that style of trigger. The Sig has a freaking long trigger reset. 1911 don’t have enough magazine capacity. Beside there are a lot more duty leather out there for Glocks over anything else. Glock = $380.00 New level 3 holster = $130.00

I have considered all of these things. I can buy a brand new Glock 22 with the two extra magazines for 400 bucks. The gentleman that I would go through is tight with the department.:D So I could make payments if I wanted to and he would let me take it and qualify with it and then return it till it was paid off. Kind a cool deal.:cool: But all in all I will have to go and shoot a couple and see which one I like most. They all have their pros:) and cons:doh:. Thanks for all the input. Keep them coming;).

What I tell people all the time is to go somewhere that they rent out handguns and try a couple to see how they feel. I know that some of them are complete pieces of shit as they are sometimes not cleaned and maintained properly but, what you get to feel is how they fit your hand,how recoil is felt in your hands(all feel different to me that way) and how the trigger system feels(DAO,LDA,DA/SA,LEM, or whatever they are calling them now).

USP's are good with the new trigger system they have,Sig's are good too,Glock is good but some issues with grip,S&W came out with their MP line which I like alot and last but not least is a 1911(great guns,many different configurations and now with Para Ord's LDA trigger you dont have to go cocked and locked).

Rugers are ok but I just dont like the way they feel.

However you could just go out and buy one and if you dont like it afterwards I'll give you a good price for it as a used gun:D

First weapon I carried was the Ruger P85 in 9mm. Never failed to fire, and was cheap.

Next was a S&W 659 9mm. I had some that failed to feed and I was not as happy with it at all.

Then I got a Springfield XD40 SubCompact... VERY VERY disappointed with the action of the firearm, and the captured spring was a bitch to charge. I always practice weak and one hand charging, and it was impossible... traded it with some cash for the USP

Then I got my HK USP Var1 Blk over Grn in .40 S&W... I will never look back.. ALWAYS fires and fires where I want to put it. I like carrying it in condition one and am fully confident in the weapon and my ability. I can also leave the slide forward on an empty tube, load a magazine and charge it by holding it with one hand, and pushing the slide back over my leg... like opening a Zippo lighter with one hand. This simulates me being injured and having one good arm to fight my way out...

I then got a Sig P239 in .40 and Loved it, except the low mag capacity of 7rds. Sold it to another Deputy.

Got issued the G22 and shoot amazing with her, straight out of the box. A Good cheap gun...

I would buy all the USPs I could get. I absolutely love that weapon... and I carry 49 rounds of ammo wherever I go. 16X3+1....

There is no compromise with the HK, as their trade mark states...

Good luck and let me know what you do

I would buy all the USPs I could get. I absolutely love that weapon... and I carry 49 rounds of ammo wherever I go. 16X3+1....

There is no compromise with the HK, as their trade mark states...

Good luck and let me know what you do

HK USP FTW!!!:)

It seems that a lot of you like the H&K USP. I have also got a few good reviews on the glock. It seems to be a toss up between the glock, USP, and sig 226. If any of you had the choice between these three weapons to put your life on, which one would it be? This is a all out serious question.

It seems that a lot of you like the H&K USP. I have also got a few good reviews on the glock. It seems to be a toss up between the glock, USP, and sig 226. If any of you had the choice between these three weapons to put your life on, which one would it be? This is a all out serious question.

I think if I where deputized at this very moment and had to walk out of the door with one of my pistols I'd pick up my Sig 226. The DA/SA operation isn't as bad as some "wannabee's" would love to tell you. Solid gun, doesn't fail, nice trigger, and decent mag capacity.

I hate Glocks. I believe you'll find that the Glock is what it is due to the short learning curve with that particular weapon. Just pull trigger. :rolleyes: This negates the departments from actually training their officers on tactical pistol proficiency. The mindset seems to be that if they have to train their officers on a safety system it will cost more and take more range time.

Humorously, some departments won't allow a 1911 because of the "cocked and locked" condition that the weapon requires. I'd love to ask them what they think a Glock is when they rack the slide, chamber a round, and holster the Glock ?? :rolleyes: I guess they think a safety on the trigger is actually a safety. :rolleyes:

Sig or H&K ? .......................I'd trust my life with either.

Whichever you shoot best with.....

I am issued a Glock,

I prefer to have my life depend on the USP... not a weapon created by the lowest bidder...

my .02

Hell, I'd prefer my life not be in danger, but us sheepdogs have chosen a different path than the general public

Back