Elon Musk Bought 9.2% of Twiter

Oh nooooo! Who could believe economics works like that and people vote with a dollar?

How very sad. Anyway…

I think something lost in this pay for a check nonsense is did Elon say vetting was going away and you pay for the check or are you still vetted, but you also have to pay your fee for the check? Those two are very different scenarios.

Oh nooooo! Who could believe economics works like that and people vote with a dollar?

How very sad. Anyway…

I think something lost in this pay for a check nonsense is did Elon say vetting was going away and you pay for the check or are you still vetted, but you also have to pay your fee for the check? Those two are very different scenarios.
From my understanding, the fee is one more step to becoming vetted.

From my understanding, the fee is one more step to becoming vetted.

And if true? Then…fuck all of these people whining about the end of Westen civilization and Democracy because they have to pay for a damn check next to their names.

I hate people, hate these Chicken Littles screaming that America is dead or will die because of social media.

And if true? Then…fuck all of these people whining about the end of Westen civilization and Democracy because they have to pay for a damn check next to their names.

I hate people, hate these Chicken Littles screaming that America is dead or will die because of social media.
My understanding is it was sort of like how $20 became $8.

Originally it was presented as a checkmark for just $8, but after the outrage they announced it would still require verification.

If anything, Musk has showed he's very easily swayed by what his user base wants.
That may or may not be a good thing, but only time will tell.

For those that use Twitter, have you really noticed any difference since Musk took the reins? I haven't. Then again, no one would ever consider me a hard core Twitter user by any stretch.

I follow gamers and journalists. Other than them whining about how evil Twitter will be and how America (because the rest of the world doesn’t use Twitter?) is doomed to fail because Musk is creating a safe haven for fascism? No.

For those that use Twitter, have you really noticed any difference since Musk took the reins? I haven't. Then again, no one would ever consider me a hard core Twitter user by any stretch.

There are probably a few more accounts that I don't follow that called out the medical orthodoxy that are free to move about the cabin now. But other than the whining I've noticed no difference. It's a bit like when Trump became president, nothing in my life changed. Now that was different with Biden.

I seem to remember a time (because I am more than 2 years old) where *nothing* was wrong with Twitter, and yeah, moderation ONLY went one way, and it was always against conservative viewpoints. The chorus was, "Just go build your own!". Then Parler and Locals did that, and they shut down the AWS and killed it.

Maybe everyone complaining about Twitter should just go build their own. Shouldn't be that hard.

I seem to remember a time (because I am more than 2 years old) where *nothing* was wrong with Twitter, and yeah, moderation ONLY went one way, and it was always against conservative viewpoints. The chorus was, "Just go build your own!". Then Parler and Locals did that, and they shut down the AWS and killed it.

Maybe everyone complaining about Twitter should just go build their own. Shouldn't be that hard.
I’ve actually been thinking about that, and I think they will. Activists have already been very successful at pulling advertisers from Twitter, and because Musk fired so many people who literally know how to run Twitter, and there is so much emotion right now, that they could pull it off.

I’ve actually been thinking about that, and I think they will. Activists have already been very successful at pulling advertisers from Twitter, and because Musk fired so many people who literally know how to run Twitter, and there is so much emotion right now, that they could pull it off.
The problem is- that specific group doesn’t ‘create’. They complain, cancel, appropriate, accuse… sure. Innovation in the free market isn’t a huge strength for the group we are talking about.

I think this is pretty evident with all the “I’m leaving Twitter/the country/the world” if so and so win or buy a company or whatever.

Tough talk, lots of threats- but in the end? What you wanna bet AOC sus her $8 to keep the blue check?

Although, if they do- it would be awesome. Imagine a liberal Twitter! (I know, that’s what’s e have now). It would be like Nazi Jail in Mythic Quest!!! (GREAT show)

But did he?
We don't really know who was fired/quit/kept.

This is a great point. Except they have that, it is Tik Tok, Instagram, and Facebook.

Well, we do know that he fired all of the chief executives. And thousands of techs/"fact" checkers/engineers. So I think it's a pretty safe bet that there are enough people out there who would know how to set something else up.

Honestly, there's no real technology mysteries under that hood. Twitter is all about the marketing and underlying personal data. Everything else is very simple IT at a huge scale. All it takes is money to pay for the resource. If you have the money you can replicate everything except the hype.

Honestly, there's no real technology mysteries under that hood. Twitter is all about the marketing and underlying personal data. Everything else is very simple IT at a huge scale. All it takes is money to pay for the resource. If you have the money you can replicate everything except the hype.
Also can't immediately replicate the user base and that's really what Musk bought. But concur with the rest.

Back